Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird email - possible phishing attempt

Options
  • 17-10-2017 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

HI there, 

i got a weird email to my work email address, from noreplys@eir.ie 

It basically says that my bill is €184.48 (its never more than €56) and that "bill is available now to complete" There's a hyperlink to view an invoice (Removed link to prevent any harmful clicks)

Am I right in saying this is a phishing attempt? Is there anywhere I can report this to officially?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Thats most likely a scam mail, my friend recieved 1 of those last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    HI there, 

i got a weird email to my work email address, from noreplys@eir.ie 

It basically says that my bill is €184.48 (its never more than €56) and that "bill is available now to complete" There's a hyperlink to view an invoice - here

Am I right in saying this is a phishing attempt? Is there anywhere I can report this to officially?

Thanks
    Hi gerrybbadd,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. If you send me your account number and full name in a PM, I'll check on this for you.

- Adam

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's a known malware mail, there's already a few examples of it on the forum. You should remove the link to the malware payload itself, in case anyone either clicks on it, or Google wrongly flags boards for hosting it.

A bit worrying that Eir:Adam thinks it somehow involves your accout details before he could point this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Spear wrote: »
    That's a known malware mail, there's already a few examples of it on the forum. You should remove the link to the malware payload itself, in case anyone either clicks on it, or Google wrongly flags boards for hosting it.

A bit worrying that Eir:Adam thinks it somehow involves your accout details before he could point this out.
    Hi Spear,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. It is standard procedure to double-check an account to ensure that an email isn't relating to the account before confirming if it's spam or not.

- Adam

Advertisement