Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR & cardboard box's

Options
  • 17-10-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have a PIR located in a utility room which is activating when nobody is there and I'm trying to figure out whats going on.

I checked the manual and it really basic single page but it has a picture of the PIR pointing at cardboard boxs and big line through it saying No. I've some cardboard box's in the utility...would these be causing the pir to trigger?

Why would the instructions say don't point towards cardboard box's ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not sure. But loose packaging and flappy boxes have caused issues in the past.

Must be another reason though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have a PIR located in a utility room which is activating when nobody is there and I'm trying to figure out whats going on.

I checked the manual and it really basic single page but it has a picture of the PIR pointing at cardboard boxs and big line through it saying No. I've some cardboard box's in the utility...would these be causing the pir to trigger?

I'd imagine it might mean that the boxes could block off the detectors field of vision. Most faults with PIR's are from insects. Give around the detector a good clean and also the surrounding areas.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

More likely to be something moving or reflective.
    Curtains blowing with a draft, Cobwebs,Spiders , anything reflective hanging in the room.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have you checked for spiders around the pir?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Did a check in the room and no spiders or cobwebs near the PIR

But the light is lit by a fluorescent tube light which is activated by a PIR, it comes on when the dog (or anyone else!) enters the room and then turns off about 5 mins later. Would this be causing it?

I don't recall the alarm activating 5mins after leaving the utility room, it usually only activates at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Did a check in the room and no spiders or cobwebs near the PIR

But the light is lit by a fluorescent tube light which is activated by a PIR, it comes on when the dog (or anyone else!) enters the room and then turns off about 5 mins later. Would this be causing it?

I don't recall the alarm activating 5mins after leaving the utility room, it usually only activates at night

Any other PIR that you could swap it out with to rule out an issue with the detector itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

altor wrote: »
    Any other PIR that you could swap it out with to rule out an issue with the detector itself?

Yes I think its time to replace the unit, thanks to all for the suggestions and advice

Advertisement