Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Got a present of Michael Rapaport's book "This book has balls - sports rants from the MVP of trash talking" for Christmas. It's mildly amusing, but his "23 reasons why LeBron James will never be better than Michael Jordan" was good and funny.

I haven't watched this and I'm not going to now (too late!) so not sure how true this is to the book, but I'm sure the general gist of it will hold true:

Well that was extremely enjoyable to watch and without Lowry and Ibaka. On TNT too so the Americans can actually see the Raptors play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Pardon The Interruption is part of the Eir Sports package on Sky. You can get it if you are an Eircom customer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

NBA League Pass is free until 18th January.

You need to sign up with a payment card and cancel the subscription before it renews on 18th.

http://global.nba.com/2018freetrial/

AD had 48 pts, 17rebs and some steals and blocks too last night.

Can't wait until he comes to Boston! :pac::rolleyes:

Enes Kanter had a very nice dunk on Boogie too.

• Advertisement

Lauri Markkanen becomes fastest player in NBA history to make 100 3-pointers. Impressive, even if it's with the Bulls. :pac:

Just watched some of the highlights of the Clippers and Houston last night. Austin Rivers acting like the little bish that he is again - and he wasn't even playing!

Testy game - with several Rockets trying to enter the Clippers locker room after the game, will be very interesting when they next meet!

Lol at the NBA.

Trevor Ariza, Gerald Green, Chris Paul and James Harden enter/attempt to enter the Clippers changing room post game.

2 players get suspensions and 2 are let off. can you guess which 2 in each case? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Superstar rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Eh wasn't this reported yesterday and that Harden and Paul were trying to get Ariza to calm down. BY all accounts the NBA really looked into it and that was the common finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls look to have their first piece for the rebuild in Markkanen.

Just a pity we can't even tank properly. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just watched some of the highlights of the Clippers and Houston last night. Austin Rivers acting like the little bish that he is again - and he wasn't even playing!

Testy game - with several Rockets trying to enter the Clippers locker room after the game, will be very interesting when they next meet!

I watched most of that game and it was fairly feisty, good to see. Clippers are a bunch of little punks, saying that from my unbiased position here in the bay, lol

But, I listened to a bit of an interview with Matt Barnes after that game, he didn’t hold back on what he thought about Austin Rivers, saying how much of a trash talker he is but can’t back it up, very arrogant, carries himself like a 10 time all star but he ain’t.
    He also had a pop at doc rivers , said he says one thing and does another, like give his son a bunch of money.

As much as Matt Barnes used to frustrate me as a Warrior, more so as a Laker but he is pretty straight up and you can’t argue too much with what he said

I watched most of that game and it was fairly feisty, good to see. Clippers are a bunch of little punks, saying that from my unbiased position here in the bay, lol

But, I listened to a bit of an interview with Matt Barnes after that game, he didn’t hold back on what he thought about Austin Rivers, saying how much of a trash talker he is but can’t back it up, very arrogant, carries himself like a 10 time all star but he ain’t.
    He also had a pop at doc rivers , said he says one thing and does another, like give his son a bunch of money.

As much as Matt Barnes used to frustrate me as a Warrior, more so as a Laker but he is pretty straight up and you can’t argue too much with what he said

I've lost a sh*t tonne of respect for Doc since he left Boston and that's before you count the Austin Rivers stuff. Austin Rivers is the biggest b*tch in the league, but he shouldn't even be in the league. It's a joke that he is.

Doc was very lucky not to have been fired at the end of last season and the start of this. Somehow - despite Doc, not because of him - the team are winning lately.

Any link to the Barnes interview? Edit: No need, found it! Thanks for the heads up!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Eh wasn't this reported yesterday and that Harden and Paul were trying to get Ariza to calm down. BY all accounts the NBA really looked into it and that was the common finding.

Not what I've heard n the various pods I've listened to tbh.

It's the NBA; I'm sorry but I just don't buy it (the version you gave).

That said, there's been an awful lot of tension in games in the last two weeks. Lots of handbags...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

That said, there's been an awful lot of tension in games in the last two weeks. Lots of handbags...

Player-Referee relations are at an all time low aswell. Ive found a few games lately hard to watch with every player having an issue with every call, its rediculous. You have guys like Kyle Lowry(who I love as a player) barking at a referee all game and then cant possibly fathom why he dosnt get a tough call. Guys too busy complaining to sprint back on D should be benched instantly.

Hard to know what the NBA can do about it, personally Ive been following more EuroLeague lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Gregk961 wrote: »

Player-Referee relations are at an all time low aswell. Ive found a few games lately hard to watch with every player having an issue with every call, its rediculous. You have guys like Kyle Lowry(who I love as a player) barking at a referee all game and then cant possibly fathom why he dosnt get a tough call. Guys too busy complaining to sprint back on D should be benched instantly.

Hard to know what the NBA can do about it, personally Ive been following more EuroLeague lately.

I agree, I watch most Warriors games and as much as I love them and in the grand scheme of things they are a really great bunch of guys but the bitching and moaning can be a bit much at times.
    It started with certain players, mainly Draymond and had a knock on effect in my opinion, Curry is the only one I felt like didn’t get the calls he deserved.

Even last night against the Rockets, Durant was bitching over some calls that were pretty clearly fouls, same went for Rocket players, it can be a bit annoying.
    Not saying refs are totally innocent but their job ain’t easy, consistency is what is needed.
    I hate when refs give soft fouls but those be the rules

On the Warriors v Rockets, great game, Houston will definitely be able to push the Warriors in the playoffs with the talent they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not what I've heard n the various pods I've listened to tbh.

It's the NBA; I'm sorry but I just don't buy it (the version you gave).

Well it's not my version, I'm just repeating what was reported, not pushed going back through twitter but Woj and a few of the same type all reported that everything they were hearing was Paul and Harden trying to calm it all down.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well it's not my version, I'm just repeating what was reported, not pushed going back through twitter but Woj and a few of the same type all reported that everything they were hearing was Paul and Harden trying to calm it all down.

Sure. Not arguing with what you heard/read; just saying it's typical NBA that Harden and Paul were available for the marquee match-up with the Warriors last night. Lots of podcasts suggest otherwise in that they're strongly hinting/suggesting at things. One thing one said outright was Austin Rivers shouted "let his b*tch ass in" when Ariza was at the door. Such a brave dude is Austin Rivers with his whole team around him inviting 1 guy into their locker room. He truly is a twat.

If you want to stop this nonsense as a governing body you need to draw a hard line; banning 2 payers and letting 2 off doesn't do that. Paul after all is the one who apparently knew of "the secret tunnel" connecting the two locker rooms - no-one seems to be denying that, yet he gets off scott-free!

I'm tired of the preferential treatment certain players get in the league from travelling to non-calls and phantom calls and now this kinda bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I agree, it's a bad look for the league, there was an instance a couple of weeks ago where Durant should've clearly gotten a second tec but the ref did nothing and KD just smugly laughed it off, I think JVG was calling the game and was giving out about the star treatment. The travels not being called is a total joke also, whenever did that become acceptable? Imagine in soccer for example if Messi wasn't called for an offside just cos he's Messi. There'd be outrage, but I guess it's the american way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Jason Kidd sacked by the Bucks

rushfan wrote: »
    Jason Kidd sacked by the Bucks

Not surprised at all tbh. Slightly surprised he didn’t maybe make it to the All star break but more surprised he actually started the season as the coach at all. To do it now suggests they have someone lined up (Fizdale?).

Mallory, if you’re looking for a new coach, I’m available!

• Advertisement

As I assume most of you won't get the Mallory ref:
    mallory-edens.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Well f*ck me.

I heard on a podcast earlier that Austin Rivers salary was $12m and I assumed it had to be a mistake. It is (technically), but his 3 year deal (which is fully guaranteed!) is for $35,475,000 - averaging out at $11.825m per year. FOR AUSTIN RIVERS!!!!!!! WTAF? The most he made in his fist 4 seasons in the league was $3.1m and he really should have been out of the league at that point.

For comparison, Kemba Walker has played in an All Star game and is the franchise player for Charlotte. He's on $12m.

From Bleacher Report:

Paying Austin Rivers half the salary he'll make over the next three years—and rest assured that he won't be turning down that player option in 2018-19—would still be handing him way too much money. Though he's young enough to continue improving and has gotten slightly better during each season of his professional career, he has yet to become a positive on either end.
    Take a gander at his career progression, per NBA Math's total points added:
    SeasonOffensive Points AddedDefensive Points SavedTotal Points Added2012-13Minus-94.1Minus-52.28Minus-146.382013-14Minus-38.58Minus-64.3Minus-102.882014-15Minus-51.6Minus-36.42Minus-88.022015-16Minus-35.06Minus-29.22Minus-64.28
    The 2015-16 campaign saw him play his best basketball yet, both offensively and defensively. But he's still not an asset. He won't even be a league-average contributor until the end of 2018-19, assuming he continues to follow this pattern of linear growth.
    Rivers should be an end-of-the-bench player, and it comes as no surprise that the Los Angeles Clippers were 13.2 points per 100 possessions better with him off the court last year. Instead, he's paid like someone who should be in the running for Sixth Man of the Year, and his father/head coach may well play him in that type of leading role.

Some fun facts (various sources):
    • He's the 107th best-paid NBA player this year.THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
    • He is projected to be the 91st best-paid NBA player next year. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
    • He's the 42nd best-paid guard this year. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!! In a guard-heavy league with insane talent-levels. SMH.
    • He is projected to be the 35th best-paid guard next year. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
    • He's the 4th best-paid player of the Los Angeles Clippers this year.
    • He is projected to be the 4th best-paid player of the Los Angeles Clippers next year.

If only my dad was an NBA coach. :rolleyes:

Well f*ck me.

I heard on a podcast earlier that Austin Rivers salary was $12m and I assumed it had to be a mistake. It is (technically), but his 3 year deal (which is fully guaranteed!) is for $35,475,000 - averaging out at $11.825m per year. FOR AUSTIN RIVERS!!!!!!! WTAF? The most he made in his fist 4 seasons in the league was $3.1m and he really should have been out of the league at that point.

For comparison, Kemba Walker has played in an All Star game and is the franchise player for Charlotte. He's on $12m.

From Bleacher Report:

Paying Austin Rivers half the salary he'll make over the next three years—and rest assured that he won't be turning down that player option in 2018-19—would still be handing him way too much money. Though he's young enough to continue improving and has gotten slightly better during each season of his professional career, he has yet to become a positive on either end.
    Take a gander at his career progression, per NBA Math's total points added:
    SeasonOffensive Points AddedDefensive Points SavedTotal Points Added2012-13Minus-94.1Minus-52.28Minus-146.382013-14Minus-38.58Minus-64.3Minus-102.882014-15Minus-51.6Minus-36.42Minus-88.022015-16Minus-35.06Minus-29.22Minus-64.28
    The 2015-16 campaign saw him play his best basketball yet, both offensively and defensively. But he's still not an asset. He won't even be a league-average contributor until the end of 2018-19, assuming he continues to follow this pattern of linear growth.
    Rivers should be an end-of-the-bench player, and it comes as no surprise that the Los Angeles Clippers were 13.2 points per 100 possessions better with him off the court last year. Instead, he's paid like someone who should be in the running for Sixth Man of the Year, and his father/head coach may well play him in that type of leading role.

Some fun facts (various sources):
    • He's the 107th best-paid NBA player this year.THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
    • He is projected to be the 91st best-paid NBA player next year. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
    • He's the 42nd best-paid guard this year. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!! In a guard-heavy league with insane talent-levels. SMH.
    • He is projected to be the 35th best-paid guard next year. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
    • He's the 4th best-paid player of the Los Angeles Clippers this year.
    • He is projected to be the 4th best-paid player of the Los Angeles Clippers next year.

If only my dad was an NBA coach. :rolleyes:

Crazy stuff. There is a lot of bad contracts around but that must rank near the top.

Pretty sure he said last year(when questioned about his lack of popularity among fellow players) that people in the NBA dislike him because he comes from the suburbs and not the inner city. And compared himself to Steph. Ya, that must be it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

As I assume most of you won't get the Mallory ref:

I was thinking you might have been referring to Mallory from the West Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

booked flights and accommodation drunk one night for the superbowl , but get to see the bucks against the pelicans on the saturday night !!

edit: *timberwolves , was still half asleep

Paully D wrote: »

Was reading that earlier this morning. Once again Love is the scapegoat. FFS. Guy is being seriously under-utilised and under-used in the Cavs system, despite this is playing at around All Star level and yet is being challenged by his teammates who are not putting up his numbers. Love is averaging 18.6pts and 9.4rbs per game this year btw.

Genuine question: I wonder if he was black would he be constantly challenged in this way?

Crazy stuff. There is a lot of bad contracts around but that must rank near the top.

Pretty sure he said last year(when questioned about his lack of popularity among fellow players) that people in the NBA dislike him because he comes from the suburbs and not the inner city. And compared himself to Steph. Ya, that must be it...

LOL! Thanks for that, gave me a giggle!

LOL! Thanks for that, gave me a giggle!

I actually have a real interest in the topic of social background and particularly how it impacts professional athletes. I think it just shows how Austin Rivers head is so up in the clouds that he dosnt even realise the general make-up of the league. He and Steph are far from the exception, the fact is inner city kids(black and white) are the underrepresented 'class' in the league.

• Advertisement

I actually have a real interest in the topic of social background and particularly how it impacts professional athletes. I think it just shows how Austin Rivers head is so up in the clouds that he dosnt even realise the general make-up of the league. He and Steph are far from the exception, the fact is inner city kids(black and white) are the underrepresented 'class' in the league.

Even in a sample size of just 2, look at the difference in humility between Steph and Austin. That's before you talk about work ethic, selflessness, team orientation, etc. etc.

Rivers is an absolute d*ckhead.

I like this one:
    https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/953163703213473792

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement