Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

For anyone interested there's a very good Coach Nick/BBall breakdown video on "the problem with assists" (or something like that) that i watched within the last week or so that I meant to post about but forgot. In bed and on the phone so can'\t post the link now, but it was very interesting in a nerdy way.

Paully D wrote: »

It got enough traction to be posted pretty much everywhere....incl. The Ringer (which he owns!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It got enough traction to be posted pretty much everywhere....incl. The Ringer (which he owns!).

LeBron owns The Ringer?

But then... the Curse... OH GODS!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    LeBron owns The Ringer?

But then... the Curse... OH GODS!

Simmons!

• Advertisement

Mirotic to the Pelicans for Asik and a first rounder. Let the tank begin!
    Good trade for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rushfan wrote: »
    Off actual sport but, the whole IT/Kyrie trade reminded me of the time Liverpool sold John Alderidge to Real Sociedad around 1990. Never followed the club with the same enthusiasm since. Great and great and all as Kyrie is, I agree that it's looking like an absolute steal. I think most people were put out about it because IT played through such personal pain after he lost his sister. That kind of self sacrifice is long remembered by Boston fans. That's why IT will always have a place in Boston's hearts, unlike Ray Allen who seems determined to undo what legacy he has there. And on another note, ESPN are reporting this morning that LeBron would be open to FA talks with the Warriors. Sure who else would ya be talking to anyway???

I think it's way too early to consider the IT / Kyrie trade as a "steal" one way or another. IT is back playing and easing his way towards full utilization. Ultimately this trade's impact will be demonstrated in the playoffs. And, irrespective of the short term of this season, Cleveland banked a lot of assets that may prove crucial to their franchise post LeBron. As such, it is a complex deal that needs to be considered from many angles. But bottom line is that the short term competitive ramifications will be adjudged after the Eastern Conference Championships.

Mirotic to the Pelicans for Asik and a first rounder. Let the tank begin!
    Good trade for both.

Amazing trade for both!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think it's way too early to consider the IT / Kyrie trade as a "steal" one way or another. IT is back playing and easing his way towards full utilization. Ultimately this trade's impact will be demonstrated in the playoffs. And, irrespective of the short term of this season, Cleveland banked a lot of assets that may prove crucial to their franchise post LeBron. As such, it is a complex deal that needs to be considered from many angles. But bottom line is that the short term competitive ramifications will be adjudged after the Eastern Conference Championships.

Normally I'd agree but I don't really think it is too early in this case. The Celtics got a younger and better player, with a higher ceiling cheaper than what it would have cost them to pay an injured Thomas.

I don't think you can judge it on who wins the East either to be fair as that's equally complex and multi-faceted....and you know Cleveland are going to make some move before the trade deadline. It's certainly not as simple as if Celtics win the East they win the trade...or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Anyone notice, similar story in the East this year, Cavs in chaos, Kevin Love blamed for most of it as usual..lol Raptors and Celtics tipped to beat Cavs this year

I will admit Celtics have been on a steady improvement the past few years and definitely have a major chance of winning East, they are a really good team but people should never write off LeBron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd love the Celtics or Raps to win the East, a series between the two will be great, but Lebron's track record means we won't know the real Cavs until the playoffs really.

Anyone notice, similar story in the East this year, Cavs in chaos, Kevin Love blamed for most of it as usual..lol Raptors and Celtics tipped to beat Cavs this year

On the above...I posted this 10days ago:
    Was reading that earlier this morning. Once again Love is the scapegoat. FFS. Guy is being seriously under-utilised and under-used in the Cavs system, despite this is playing at around All Star level and yet is being challenged by his teammates who are not putting up his numbers. Love is averaging 18.6pts and 9.4rbs per game this year btw.

Genuine question: I wonder if he was black would he be constantly challenged in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

On the above...I posted this 10days ago:
    Was reading that earlier this morning. Once again Love is the scapegoat. FFS. Guy is being seriously under-utilised and under-used in the Cavs system, despite this is playing at around All Star level and yet is being challenged by his teammates who are not putting up his numbers. Love is averaging 18.6pts and 9.4rbs per game this year btw.

Genuine question: I wonder if he was black would he be constantly challenged in this way?

It is a bit bewildering st the abuse Love gets some times, easy target and all that.

On a side note, crazy how much the NBA has hijacked Super Bowl week to a certain extent with various headlines, the LeBron rumors really took the spotlight off NFL for a few days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It is a bit bewildering st the abuse Love gets some times, easy target and all that.

On a side note, crazy how much the NBA has hijacked Super Bowl week to a certain extent with various headlines, the LeBron rumors really took the spotlight off NFL for a few days

Silver would love some sort of three team mega trade with a few superstars to emerge tomorrow afternoon!

I've said it before and I'll say it again he's on the wrong team and is a far better player than he looks in Cleveland. Boston were in the mix for him a few years ago hen he ultimately went to the Cavs and I really wish that trade came off. Were I any team in the league I'd be interested in Love. He's not suited to the Cavs system or playing in leBron's shadow IMO, and I think were he in a different system or under a better coach he'd look better almost instantly. You're buying low on Love right now if you trade for him but the injury has probably killed any chance of him being moved. He needs a change of scenery for sure.

Celtics shopping Marcus Smart and Denver looking like a possible destination. I'd be sad to see him go tbh but depends what's coming back on how much the blow would be softened.

Next few days will (likely) be busy. Here's the latest:

The Clippers are still listening to offers on DeAndre Jordan and have heard from the Rockets, Bucks, Wizards and Blazers, ESPN’s Zach Lowe reports. Wojnarowski said on Lowe’s podcast, though, that the Blazers have “backed away a bit” from their pursuit of Jordan. Lowe also said the Blazers have been rejecting offers for Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum.

• The Magic are willing trade anyone besides Jonathon Isaac and Aaron Gordon, with Elfrid Payton the most likely to be traded. (ESPN)

• The Jazz are open to moving everyone but Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell and are trying to acquire Avery Bradley from the Clippers. (The Ringer)

• The Cavs are “trying hard” to dump Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith’s salaries. (USA Today)

• The Cavs don’t want to trade the Nets’ first-round pick. (New York Post)

• LeBron James has no interest in waiving his no-trade clause to leave Cleveland before the season is over. (Yahoo)

• The Wizards are listening to offers on Marcin Gortat. (ESPN)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Porzingis lost for the season. Torn ACL. Well, yet another Knick's season gone. Need to do well in the draft.

Porzingis is hurt a lot. A lot of these 'ultra tall' guys that are thin seem that way - Sean Bradley, Bol, ... Can't take the pounding. And Porzingis misses too many games to be the franchise imo.

Who knows, maybe they'll run Noah out there FWIW.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Porzingis lost for the season. Torn ACL. Well, yet another Knick's season gone. Need to do well in the draft.

Porzingis is hurt a lot. A lot of these 'ultra tall' guys that are thin seem that way - Sean Bradley, Bol, ... Can't take the pounding. And Porzingis misses too many games to be the franchise imo.

Who knows, maybe they'll run Noah out there FWIW.

Yup, very sad for him.

Btw, did you see Giannis jump over Hardaway? On mobile but google/YouTube it. It’s :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yup, very sad for him.

Btw, did you see Giannis jump over Hardaway? On mobile but google/YouTube it. It’s :eek:

Hardaway bruised his shin in the same game, too. Why do I even bother to follow this team. I guess I still have fond memories of the Ewing era and the amazing run they did when Latrell Spreewell was there, to the Finals. But, heck, that was 1999!

That dunk was sick. Clyde was impressed.

• Advertisement

Judging this only on the box score but Cleveland were down 3 at the start of the 4th last night, were outscored by 15 in the 4th to lose by 18 to ORLANDO.

They had quarters of 43, 24, 22 and 9. They scored 31points in the 2nd half. And again, to ORLANDO.

I'd love to have heard LeBron after the game.....

Beat down for Boston in Toronto, I'd be worried in a Play Off series as the Raptors are playing very well to be fair and improving as the season goes on. Boston looking shaky lately - even when they've won they haven't been great.

OKC beat up GS too. Wouldn't be as worried obviously for GS, but no-one will want to play OKC in the Play Offs - when they're good, they're very good.

Anyone notice how tight the middle to bottom is in both conferences this year:
    East: 1 game between 3-7 seeds.
    West: 3 games between 5-8 seeds.

Injuries driving some of that. Is it just me or does it fell like there are more injuries than usual this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

zZYyEkT.jpg

BUT WHY DID THE NBA GODS HAVE TO TAKE OUT PORZINGOD??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

^^^ My new background pic. The man is supreme

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    zZYyEkT.jpg

BUT WHY DID THE NBA GODS HAVE TO TAKE OUT PORZINGOD??

Hardaway is 6'6" btw. :eek:

Willy Hernangomez to Charloote for Johnny O'Bryant and 2 second rounders. O'Bryant to be waived.

A giant "Meh" all round.

LeBron with a 37 point triple double (15 assists) last night and an awesome closing sequence blocking Butler and then owning him for the buzzer beating game winner.

Yeah the Cavs have looked bad recently and don't seem to be able to close a deal that will help them but if LeBron turns it on in the playoffs like last year they'll be just as tough an out in the East.

Porzingis was slightly improved on a decent increase in usage this year. This type of injury a big set back though obviously. He will miss the first couple of months next year and there's a chance he isn't quite the same again. No craic being a Knicks fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's starting to kick off.

Cavs trading IT, Frye, and their own first round pick to the Lakers for Nance and Clarkson.

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/961647863137644544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Wow. Does IT really suck that much since the hip injury?

Kyrie is wetting himself somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement