Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Not sure how seriously I would take the Kawhi story, seems like something born out of speculation more than fact. The Spurs run a pretty tight ship and Id imagine lots of NBA "insiders" get a whiff of something and run with it.

If it is true that he is unhappy I would hate to see him leave the Spurs, Popovich has done an amazing job with him I think. The way Pop slowly added more of the offensive load to Kawhi as he improved that side of his game was brilliant.

I do have a bit of a bias towards the Spurs though, I really admire the way the team is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Not sure how seriously I would take the Kawhi story, seems like something born out of speculation more than fact. The Spurs run a pretty tight ship and Id imagine lots of NBA "insiders" get a whiff of something and run with it.

If it is true that he is unhappy I would hate to see him leave the Spurs, Popovich has done an amazing job with him I think. The way Pop slowly added more of the offensive load to Kawhi as he improved that side of his game was brilliant.

I do have a bit of a bias towards the Spurs though, I really admire the way the team is run.

Seems to be more true than false. Everyone of the major podcasts covering it in depth....with many quoting unnamed sources as saying it's real.

Though not confirmed yet I suspect Jimmy Buckets is done for the year after his knee injury last night. I said it earlier this year that I'm a little shocked at how many guys have been hurt this year.

Thibs will likely get some of the blame for this with his high minutes rotations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Meatyfubu

Though not confirmed yet I suspect Jimmy Buckets is done for the year after his knee injury last night. I said it earlier this year that I'm a little shocked at how many guys have been hurt this year.

Thibs will likely get some of the blame for this with his high minutes rotations.

Nobody likes to see any player get hurt but there is a bit irony to this given he sat out the All-star game to rest and got a bit of backlash for it.

I know some players opt now for meniscus removal after a tear vs a repair.
    I believe Westbrook and Bledsoe maybe also had their meniscus removed. The recovery time can be very quick if removed I believe, 6 weeks if I remember correctly.
    Maybe it was Artest but did he return from a meniscus removal in 2 weeks.
    There is probably more to it than simple yes or no to a removal but if the removal is the way to go he might get back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Watching a livestream of the younger Ball brothers playing in this Big Baller Brand tournament in Latvia. Absolutely no defence on show, clearly trying to make the lads look great.

• Advertisement

Watching a livestream of the younger Ball brothers playing in this Big Baller Brand tournament in Latvia. Absolutely no defence on show, clearly trying to make the lads look great.

Don't feed the troll (LaVar)!

Bit of a dirty play by ZaZa on Russ last night. No need for it at all. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year, that one was completely unnecessary.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/967620141369393152

There's other angles that look a lot worse than that btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Think both Westbrook and George called him out on it in post game interviews. Cavs - Spurs starting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Marcel Delightful Viewfinder

stuchyg wrote: »
    Think both Westbrook and George called him out on it in post game interviews. Cavs - Spurs starting soon.

Kyre also did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Bit of a dirty play by ZaZa on Russ last night. No need for it at all. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year, that one was completely unnecessary.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/967620141369393152

There's other angles that look a lot worse than that btw.

Yea, that was pretty blatant and unnecessary. I highly doubt he was trying to injure him, probably trying to stop him getting up but still pretty dumb.
    It’s a shame because he is such a nice guy off the court and gives back quite a bit.

The game was fantastic though, in the space of a few mins towards the end of the third the Warriors just exploded all over OKC and it was game over. Playoff atmosphere and Warriors put in a great effort for the 48

• Advertisement

Why would you do this to yourself, for the love of god man, why !!

Yea, that was pretty blatant and unnecessary. I highly doubt he was trying to injure him, probably trying to stop him getting up but still pretty dumb.
    It’s a shame because he is such a nice guy off the court and gives back quite a bit.

The game was fantastic though, in the space of a few mins towards the end of the third the Warriors just exploded all over OKC and it was game over. Playoff atmosphere and Warriors put in a great effort for the 48

I agree with what you say re. injury v. slowing him down, but you can't do that. I'd like to see a ban for that tbh.

I agree with what you say re. injury v. slowing him down, but you can't do that. I'd like to see a ban for that tbh.

Yea, I agree. An in game technical would of been enough but a short ban would be fine also so as to set example and cut dumb stuff like that

Why would you do this to yourself, for the love of god man, why !!

Well I watched their debut....I'm as bad. But I did try and warn him!

I'll just leave this here:

I have a serious unhealthy man crush on Curry,.

Not sure if anyone has posted about Adam silvers comments about changing playoff format?

I think his idea was basically same amount of teams come out of each conference but the seeding will be 1-16 with least and west east combined so top two teams in west could potentially meet in finals.
    On the face of it, I think it’s a great idea, it just makes sense to me, reward the best regular season teams and give the best teams the opportunity to meet in finals.
    I am sure there would be backlash in regards to the historical aspect of it and but to hell with that, people need to stop trying to hold on to the nostalgia of the past.
    I know these ideas have been thrown out before, a lot more drastic ones but I think this is a good starting point and compromise, a solid argument could be made for having the best 16 teams go to playoffs but the eastern teams would never go for that.
    I think Silver has done well as commissioner and he probably feels the time to make these changes is soon.

Not sure if anyone has posted about Adam silvers comments about changing playoff format?

I think his idea was basically same amount of teams come out of each conference but the seeding will be 1-16 with west and east combined so top two teams in west could potentially meet in finals.
    On the face of it, I think it’s a great idea, it just makes sense to me, reward the best regular season teams and give the best teams the opportunity to meet in finals.
    I am sure there would be backlash in regards to the historical aspect of it and but to hell with that, people need to stop trying to hold on to the nostalgia of the past.
    I know these ideas have been thrown out before, a lot more drastic ones but I think this is a good starting point and compromise, a solid argument could be made for having the best 16 teams go to playoffs but the eastern teams would never go for that.
    I think Silver has done well as commissioner and he probably feels the time to make these changes is soon.

I think his idea was basically same amount of teams come out of each conference but the seeding will be 1-16 with west and east combined so top two teams in west could potentially meet in finals.

He must have been listening to the bs podcast lately.
    A quick look at the conference standings has the clippers sitting at the 8 seed in the West. Id take 5 of the east over them and maybe the top 4 over the blazers. After that though you are realistically looking at maybe the top 4 eastern teams making the playoffs with perhaps 1 more sneaking in on any given year, not a chance the owners of the eastern conference teams will vote in favour of changing the playoffs format. Too much money at stake.

stuchyg wrote: »

He must have been listening to the bs podcast lately.
    A quick look at the conference standings has the clippers sitting at the 8 seed in the West. Id take 5 of the east over them and maybe the top 4 over the blazers. After that though you are realistically looking at maybe the top 4 eastern teams making the playoffs with perhaps 1 more sneaking in on any given year, not a chance the owners of the eastern conference teams will vote in favour of changing the playoffs format. Too much money at stake.

Well, his idea is to have to same amount of teams come out of each conference but the seedlings will be different. I can’t see too many arguments to that, maybe playoffs will be longer due to extra travel time ?

• Advertisement

Well, his idea is to have to same amount of teams come out of each conference but the seedlings will be different. I can’t see too many arguments to that, maybe playoffs will be longer due to extra travel time ?

Possibly, however I would imagine all teams have a private jet at this point so you would imagine they can manage an extra few hours here and there plus there are extra days off in the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

probably a good idea. sur swings and roundabouts , the western teams won't always be the strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm back on Nba league pass thanks to MLB.tv being bold boys and charging me for something I had cancelled. Anyway I'm liking the litttle differences I've seen since 2016. The radio broadcasts being there is great.

Anyway on the playoffs the conferences have never really been even. In the 1980s the lakers breezed through at times while the Celtics/76ers/ pistons were battering each other in seven games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A pretty blatant travel to be fair 😂

He is having a great season though and the rockets are playing some great basketball, looks they could be on a collision course with the Warriors, they really believe they can beat the Warriors which is great, should make for a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A pretty blatant travel to be fair ��

He is having a great season though and the rockets are playing some great basketball, looks they could be on a collision course with the Warriors, they really believe they can beat the Warriors which is great, should make for a great series

Would make a great Finals series.

If only....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://streamable.com/1q2m8

LeBron just pulled off one of the greatest moves of all time!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Ah come on now....not a chance he meant it to go through Thompson's legs as well.

A pretty blatant travel to be fair ��

Not a travel....honestly. There's a delay between when he gathers/picks up the ball and establishes his pivot foot. People seem to forget once your pivot foot is established you can move the other foot as often as you like - it's one of those things that frustrates me when i watch things like Shaqtin' and they count travel steps when it's often just pivoting.

There's a good fairly recent B'Ball Breakdown video with Coach Nick and Ronnie Nunn (ex-head of NBA Refs) which discuss this move (not this actual play) and in it they mention that Harden has been practicing this for years to the point where he's perfected it.

Now having said all of that, there's probably at least a couple of uncalled and fairly blatant travels in most NBA games I watch. It's truly awful sometimes for it.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Ah come on now....not a chance he meant it to go through Thompson's legs as well.

But it did...lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement