Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

They just mentioned it in commentary, it was a 28-0 run in the 3rd:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

New York 11 Toronto 6 8:39 1st quarter.

Toronto 41 New York 32.9:39 second quarter.

Toronto 42 New York 38 3:55 left in half.

The Knicks need to tighten up the defensive rebounds. The raptors have gotten several second and third chances.

• Advertisement

Toronto 65 New York 57 HT

The raptors got a three pointer at the buzzer. The Knicks are trying at least.

Nope. The Knicks ain't winning this one anyway(I realise it was a long shot anyway) but the raptors just have pulled away.

Toronto 122 New York 98 4:00 minutes left in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Meatyfubu wrote: »
    They have Kawhi back on Thursday, I'm sure they'll be fine. I'd take the Spurs with Kawhi over any team in the league outside of GSW, Rockets & Cavs. Assuming he is back they'll make the playoffs

He's not fit, he's going to be on restricted minutes and considering he basically hasn't played with them this year there'll be a figuring it out period. If he had played, was fit and didn't have the toughest schedule in the league etc., that might be one thing; but given all of the above it's going to be an issue.

I think they get in FWIW. I don't think they break 50 - but given their best player will play less than 20 games that's not hugely surprising.

Lol at Williams staring down Miller after that dunk, you are down 27 points mate

• Advertisement

Lol at Williams staring down Miller after that dunk, you are down 27 points mate
    I know. Also Hayes for the raptors who played on the Knicks development league hit a three near the Knicks bench and turned around to the bench.

Toronto 132 Knicks 106 FT.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know. Also Hayes for the raptors who played on the Knicks development league hit a three near the Knicks bench and turned around to the bench.

https://twitter.com/TTOTambz/status/972914162069155840

The way they show the dancers and the home teams lads on the court being all enthusiastic. Nobody is that happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Meatyfubu

He's not fit, he's going to be on restricted minutes and considering he basically hasn't played with them this year there'll be a figuring it out period. If he had played, was fit and didn't have the toughest schedule in the league etc., that might be one thing; but given all of the above it's going to be an issue.

I think they get in FWIW. I don't think they break 50 - but given their best player will play less than 20 games that's not hugely surprising.

Well as far as the figuring out goes, he's been with the Spurs his whole career, I'm sure he's constantly around the team and knows the sets.
    Also he's been medically cleared for weeks so he's probably alot further ahead than most coming back from such a long lay-off.
    No doubts those are factors but relative to similar lay offs by other players with different teams I expect Kawhi to hit the ground running.

All I said was they'll be fine once he's back, I wouldn't be concerned as far as them missing the playoffs, I'd be very surprised if they missed it.

Jokic with a silly stat line tonight 20-11-10 in 18 mins of action, that's ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

giphy.gif

Celtics lost to the pacers by two last night. I'll have to rewatch the condensed game but the pacers aren't a bad team but I'd expect the Celtics to win the game.

Pacers up to 3rd in the East, I'd be surprised if they hold on to it but what a turnaround either way especially given they weren't projected to make the playoffs by most.

That said I don't know how bullish I am on them projecting into the future. Oladipo isn't underpaid, his contract is about right for his production 21m in the current market seems fair.
    Turner has fallen way behind his peers like KP, Towns, Embiid, Jokic etc, he just hasn't taken any steps forward. I do like Sabonis though, TJ Leaf hasn't shown much as of yet but he was so good in college there may be something there.

I think they're flattering to deceive and are probably the team I expect to regress the most next year all else equal. It would be cool to see them get homecourt unbelievable achievement in isolation.

Pacers up to 3rd in the East, I'd be surprised if they hold on to it but what a turnaround either way especially given they weren't projected to make the playoffs by most.

That said I don't know how bullish I am on them projecting into the future. Oladipo isn't underpaid, his contract is about right for his production 21m in the current market seems fair.
    Turner has fallen way behind his peers like KP, Towns, Embiid, Jokic etc, he just hasn't taken any steps forward. I do like Sabonis though, TJ Leaf hasn't shown much as of yet but he was so good in college there may be something there.

I think they're flattering to deceive and are probably the team I expect to regress the most next year all else equal. It would be cool to see them get homecourt unbelievable achievement in isolation.

They're possibly over-achieving a little this year alright and regression is likely, but fair focks to them. When PG left, it looked awfully bad for them, they've done well. Oladipo should be a lock for Most Improved Player too.

• Advertisement

From recent listening:

Interesting Woj Pod with the owner of the Nuggets (and Arsenal).
    Two good Bill Simmons Pocasts with Chris Bosh too if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Oladipo is playing like a 21m player right now, keeps up the progression and that'll look like a nice contract next year. Can definitely see them moving one of Sabonis or Turner in the summer.

Oladipo is playing like a 21m player right now, keeps up the progression and that'll look like a nice contract next year. Can definitely see them moving one of Sabonis or Turner in the summer.

I don't know who to blame more Donovan or Westbrook. I think the inability to recognise or utilise what they had with Oladipo is criminal. I'm sure he's improved over the summer but the improvement on both ends by every conceivable metric has to call into question WTF Donovan is up to.

I don't know who to blame more Donovan or Westbrook. I think the inability to recognise or utilise what they had with Oladipo is criminal. I'm sure he's improved over the summer but the improvement on both ends by every conceivable metric has to call into question WTF Donovan is up to.

Neither, according to the player himself.

He did a Woj pod just before Christmas and I read an interview with him on si (or it may have been The Ringer) around the same time. He's had 5 coaches in 4 years and basically said he was coasting until he got to OKC. He said he thought he worked hard until he got to see Westbrook train and play and knew then he had to change everything from diet to workouts to physique etc. He's vegan now too like a lot of the younger guys in the NBA.

Woj also did a pod with his college coach a while back and the college coach talked about how hard he worked last summer on every aspect of his game, but especially his body.
    I don't know if you've seen this before either:

w620-2a9d50ea2e8e17e08493dbc9dc3a26d3.jpg

He looks completely out of shape in the first pic - and that was in May, just over 2 weeks after they were eliminated in the Play Offs.

I give the give enormous credit for how he's transformed his body and his mental game.

The OKC situation wasn't ideal for him. he's a high ball usage guard.....put him on the same team as Westbrook and what else do you expect in fairness? And let's be clear and fair to Westbrook - Oladipo just wasn't this good last year. I've spoken many times about systems and situations to match a player's skillset - he's in a great place and a great match for his skillset right now. If he was sharing the ball with Kyrie, Harden, Wall, etc. he probably wouldn't look as good. Not a criticism btw!

Sabonis has been playing really well. Turner seems to have stalled progression...strange one really.

Right now you'd trade Turner based on form. Can't see them trading Sabonis but it's the NBA, you never know!

Neither, according to the player himself.

He did a Woj pod just before Christmas and I read an interview with him on si (or it may have been The Ringer) around the same time. He's had 5 coaches in 4 years and basically said he was coasting until he got to OKC. He said he thought he worked hard until he got to see Westbrook train and play and knew then he had to change everything from diet to workouts to physique etc. He's vegan now too like a lot of the younger guys in the NBA.

Woj also did a pod with his college coach a while back and the college coach talked about how hard he worked last summer on every aspect of his game, but especially his body.
    I don't know if you've seen this before either:

w620-2a9d50ea2e8e17e08493dbc9dc3a26d3.jpg

He looks completely out of shape in the first pic - and that was in May, just over 2 weeks after they were eliminated in the Play Offs.

I give the give enormous credit for how he's transformed his body and his mental game.

The OKC situation wasn't ideal for him. he's a high ball usage guard.....put him on the same team as Westbrook and what else do you expect in fairness? And let's be clear and fair to Westbrook - Oladipo just wasn't this good last year. I've spoken many times about systems and situations to match a player's skillset - he's in a great place and a great match for his skillset right now. If he was sharing the ball with Kyrie, Harden, Wall, etc. he probably wouldn't look as good. Not a criticism btw!

Well I won't go in to the Westbrook thing because it's been analysed to death. Is Westbrook a good teammate, does he stifle players etc.
    As far as the change in this pic. I never quite understood the the media this attracted, it's a good example of the search for a narrative.

Basically it's three weeks apart, it's pretty clear from the pic on the left it's taken as normal while the pic on the right is taken albeit in the same room with better lighting with Oladipo either covered in sweat or oil.

I'm not denying a change of diet or better exercise regime has improved his play but that pic proves nothing more than he dropped 4-6kg from perhaps a lower carb maybe ketogenic diet that causes you to lose water anyway. There isn't much difference there that would contribute to any overwhelming improvement in performance imo.

Well I won't go in to the Westbrook thing because it's been analysed to death. Is Westbrook a good teammate, does he stifle players etc.
    As far as the change in this pic. I never quite understood the the media this attracted, it's a good example of the search for a narrative.

Basically it's three weeks apart, it's pretty clear from the pic on the left it's taken as normal while the pic on the right is taken albeit in the same room with better lighting with Oladipo either covered in sweat or oil.

I'm not denying a change of diet or better exercise regime has improved his play but that pic proves nothing more than he dropped 4-6kg from perhaps a lower carb maybe ketogenic diet that causes you to lose water anyway. There isn't much difference there that would contribute to any overwhelming improvement in performance imo.

Not in 3 weeks agreed but 6-7 months of that in pre-season and you'll change an awful lot about your body's efficiency, explosiveness and power output (my primary degree is in Sports Science). He's a different player - physically and mentally - than he was last year; and he's in the best situation for him. Of course he's going to look better. He could do all the physical and mental work and still be in OKC and look a bit better, but nothing like this.

If that was just weight loss he'd have no power or strength gains btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I doubt it. I think they're gonna move Sabonis to the 4 eventually.

Spurs out of the Playoffs in the West right now....well for the moment at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Victor almost runs a 1-man "option" offense.

He starts out deep in center 1-on-1 (and they cant really double him out there because he can bust double-teams, and if he gets behind 2 defenders it's all over), and then starts into motion, using screens, then when he hits the 3-point line, depending on what he sees in front of him, he goes 1 of 5 ways, and it's just devastating to defend:

- If his defender is sagging off too far to prevent the drive, he simply pulls up from 3.
    - If his defender is taking away the 3 point line, he rubs them off a screen, and gets just inside the 3-point line where he then has 4 options:
    - pocket pass to the screener for a roll or pop
    - hits the gas and drives to the rim
    - hits the gas and kicks it out to an open shooter
    - jabs and steps-back for the mid-range jumper

You could almost add a 6-option in there once he gets into the paint --- the mid-range floater, which he's demonstrated on occasion.

Almost all of the options, if he makes the right-decision, result in a high-quality shot. He's a great finisher at the rim; he's a good mid-range shooter, he's a decent 3-point shooter, and if he pocket passes to a screener, they are all good at completing the play.

I love it. About the only other players in the league that can do this 6-level attack at a high-level consistently are Westbrook and Kemba and at times Lilliard. You can't help but wonder if watching Westbrook for a season isn't a massive part of how he incorporated all of this into his game this season, because this capability didn't really exist at this level until he came to the Pacers this year. The thing with Dipo is that he's the biggest of all those guys, which has to be an advantage (and he plays the best defense of them).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement