Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Meatyfubu wrote: »
    He's due back next week. He's not been fired nor is he resigning. He's been sidelined at 3 different stages this season due to ill-health. I don't see how LBJ is forcing him to sit out, maybe I'm missing something.

It was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It's just the usual occasional "coach got too big for his britches and thought he mattered, now has to step aside to let LeBron coach" event.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've been around a few 7-footers from my time playing but Adams was certainly the widest looking to me. It's rare to find an athletic 7-footer in lower league bball so I don't have lots to compare him to.
    To me he looked like a 6ft 3 centre in rugby who had been blown up to 7 foot.
    You often find such tall players at least the ones I played with have quite poor posture but his posture struck me straight away as excellent so he looked even bigger and more athletic.
    His family are crazy athletic. There's a ridiculous pic of his sister and Sonny Bill Williams who's 6ft 4in and 110kg and Valerie Adams makes him look tiny.

Been around a few 7footers myself back in the day but none seemed as wide as Adams (admittedly from a distance). I read about the family when si (from memory) did a piece on them a couple of years back. Adams's development in the League has been phenomenal considering how late he was to the game, his back story in NZ....everything really - and he's still just 24. Though limited in what he can do, he really has maximised his talent and skillset. I get the feeling like Russ he'll likely never leave OKC willingly, but it'd be very interesting to see him with say a Houston (in the Cappella role) or on a team like GS; or any team really with more shooters or a better coach.

Imagine running into him blind as he sets a screen?

I also think he'd top most people's "dude I'd want to accompany me to a fight" list. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Meatyfubu

Paully D wrote: »
    It was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

I know, irrespective if it's tongue in cheek or not, it's a fair narrative in some capacity because although I really like LBJ there's no doubts that by design or by simply osmosis in his presence, drama tends to be drawn to LBJ and those around him.

Broussard and Cowherd I think made the point that LBJ tends to feed off this drama and although I don't believe it was orchestrated for a second, they make a fair point that LBJ loves the idea of rallying around something.

If the Cavs go on a tear over the last few games it's not one bit surprising. Lue is done after this year because he won't be able to handle the stress and maybe he returns to a role in a few years. It's no mean feat being front and centre of the LBJ show.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The warriors lost to the spurs and only scored 75 points. Now klay Thompson and curry didn't play but when you take the star players away this team looks very human and ordinary.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The warriors lost to the spurs and only scored 75 points. Now klay Thompson and curry didn't play but when you take the star players away this team looks very human and ordinary.

Probably true of any team that has their star players taken away.

Probably true of any team that has their star players taken away.
    I'd agree but maybe I bought into the hype of how good this team and forgot the vital ingredients to such success and a dynasty they will be viewed in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I'd agree but maybe I bought into the hype of how good this team and forgot the vital ingredients to such success and a dynasty they will be viewed in the future.

They played without 4 of their starters, I don't know how you can take anything out of that game. Im way more surprised that the Spurs didn't blow them out by more if anything.

GS are the best team in the league when healthy. I said from the start of the season the ONLY thing that will stop them winning again is injury. And right now, 3 weeks away from the playoffs they're pretty beat up.......if they face Houston at less than 100% (and assuming Houston are 100% healthy themselves) they could be in real trouble. Houston are legit. I hate how they play, but they're very deep and their bench is WAY stronger than GS's. Will be a hell of series either way and will be the "real" Finals.

The 73-9 team lost the finals for 2 reasons - Draymond's suspension AND Curry wasn't 100%. Curry more than any other player needs to be 100% for that team to function properly.

I struggle to see any team in the current era that does not have 3 legit stars winning a title. Currently the only teams that have that is GSW and arguably OKC.
    Obviously LBJ gets a special exception.

As great as the Rockets have been, D'Antoni's teams don't have great post season track records. I don't think the Rockets have much of a Plan B, you cant dump the ball into Capela and ask for a bucket if their standard 3pt and iso game isn't getting it done.

I think people could be very disappointed by the Rockets in the post-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think GSW are fine fitness-wise, they've got the 2 seed locked up and so they're treating any little knock with tonnes of precautionary measures just to be safe. There's no reason to play their stars all that much again until the playoffs.

Blazers Rockets tonight, Blazers on a 13 game win streak, getting it to 14 against Houston could be a huge statement.

ugly, ugly win for the raps. If only Orlando weren't so awful they would have buried them but somehow they found some range from 3 in the 4th and got over the line.

DeRozan rested at least and JV and Poetl got plenty of rest. Lowry, not so much!

Just want to get through this 5 games in 7 days without serious injury

Carmelo, after being electric in the 4th misses both FTs with OKC 2 up and 8 secs left...Celtics go and score a 3...

C'mon Carmelo

79 for the Raptors against Cleveland at the half!

Lowry and FVV shooting the lights out, Demar getting anything he wants, Siakam everywhere and doing a great job on LBJ.

Bracing for the run now...

Casey had every right to be enraged there. That was a definite foul. You can understand his frustration in recent games if that's regular enough.

Great game! Raptors missing so many good chances. Back to back catching up with them. Hopefully snatch the win but if not I don't mind a Cleveland win to keep them in the 3rd seed

Crazy to think there is going to be people(not necessarily here) criticising that pass by LBJ to Love :rolleyes:

Nothing more boring than watching a free throw battle to end a great game.

Entertaining stuff, lets go Pelicans & Spurs tonight

LeBron 35pts 17 ass 0 to

“Trash game by us. They shot 60 per cent from the field. It was a disgraceful display of defense by us.” -- Kyle Lowry minces no words after Cavs down Raptors 132-129

• Advertisement

Spurs had a players only meeting that was apparently "tense and emotional" to convince Kawhi to come back. That level of tension won't be accepted, I'm really starting to believe he's gone.

Grizz lose by 61 points :confused:

Lonzo goes 1/12 from deep while still making the Lakers better and flirting with a triple double. He's scored 1 3pt shot in each of his last 7 games. He's shot 48 though, 14.6% :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FOy2NhR.jpg

Meanwhile Rockets-Detroit shot a combined 20% from three.

I see it went unnoticed on here but Dwight had 32 and 30 rebounds earlier this week. Last person to go 30 and 30 was Kevin Love in Minnesota. It's a very rare thing to see in the NBA - only been done by 8 players in League history. Wilt had 124 of them though :eek:

He's (Howard) got to be the most frustrating player in the league though.

If you told me Dwight would have a 30/30 in his career I wouldn't be surprised at all.

If you told me 2018 Dwight would get a 30/30 I would not believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I see it went unnoticed on here but Dwight had 32 and 30 rebounds earlier this week. Last person to go 30 and 30 was Kevin Love in Minnesota. It's a very rare thing to see in the NBA - only been done by 8 players in League history. Wilt had 124 of them though :eek:

He's (Howard) got to be the most frustrating player in the league though.

Best part was he got his 16th tech so was suspended for the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Curry injured again.... first game back and another stupid injury as Javale falls on his knee. It just didn’t look great, probably not a serious injury I hope but definitely a bad setback for Curry

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Curry injured again.... first game back and another stupid injury as Javale falls on his knee. It just didn’t look great, probably not a serious injury I hope but definitely a bad setback for Curry

At the moment they're saying it's an MCL.

MCL sprain with a 6 week recovery is the initial assessment MRI today or tomorrow.

That reduces the odds on GS significantly IMO. He is the most important player to that team. Last time he wasn’t 100%, they lost.

• Advertisement

Kyrie Irving is to undergo "a minimally invasive procedure" on his knee today Saturday. An operation on your knee might be minimally invasive but it's not a small job. And no timeline on his return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement