Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Meatyfubu

I'm delighted for the Jazz and Synder, devasted Rubio is injured though. When you see the T-Wolves gave up 12m Rubio for pittance to sign 18m Teague, you have to wonder.

As much as I'd love PG13 to go to the Lakers I'm kinda rooting for him to go to the Sixers. They have the cap space so it may happen. I also think they should give the Spurs a call and ask would they take Covington and Fultz for Kawhi.

I have to admit the Pacers are pushing the Cavs and certainly look more emphatic in their wins than the Cavs in theirs. I thought 4-2 but no reason not to believe the Pacers can win this.

Not sure if anyone else caught him on anything but Mo Bamba, projected top 10 pick pick was doing a few interviews and I thought he was so impressive.
    He seemed very astute, intelligent and the videos of him practicing were impressive.
    He may fall outside the top 5 but I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up some boards closer to the draft, he's got the KP unicorn like traits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mo Bamba has ridiculous size - 7'0" with 9'9" reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Was delighted to see OKC dumped out, especially for Russ.
    He's clearly very gifted but this triple double hype for the last 2 years has blinded some people into not seeing that his style of hero ball isn't conducive to winning at the highest level.
    He got a very good player in PG13 and an improved Adams this year and they're no better off. He may impress some folk with the statlines and the padded rebounds, but he's not at the elite of the elite and given his age and the way he plays, this was probably his last serious stab at a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Frankly as I've said, the Pacers are the better team, if we push the pace like we did last night, it is not even close to a contest.

It's a road game 7, it's Lebron, all those things, but we're +44 on the series. We might as well go win this damn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Stevens 14-20 career playoff record. I don’t care is who’s hurt... if the Celtics can’t win tonight some of the shine should come off. The Bucks are not good.

One of these years you’d think he would figure out how to win a game on the road to an inferior opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Stevens 14-20 career playoff record. I don’t care is who’s hurt... if the Celtics can’t win tonight some of the shine should come off. The Bucks are not good.

One of these years you’d think he would figure out how to win a game on the road to an inferior opponent.

The Bucks really don't have much supporting Giannis. Bledsoe has been so poor it's crazy, although how unexpected I don't know.

The Pacers have so many weapons to attack Cleveland, they're a better team than with PG, but I have a lot of sympathy for LeBron, he really doesn't have any help from his team mates.
    Kyle Korver isn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's clearly very gifted but this triple double hype for the last 2 years has blinded some people into not seeing that his style of hero ball isn't conducive to winning at the highest level.
    He got a very good player in PG13 and an improved Adams this year and they're no better off. He may impress some folk with the statlines and the padded rebounds, but he's not at the elite of the elite and given his age and the way he plays, this was probably his last serious stab at a ring.

Russ getting all the blame as usual when PG13 had 5 huge points in 45mins+ :rolleyes:. Granted he was fouled on the 3 attempt at the end, but come on....Playoff P my ass. Melo also threw in a massive 7 points, so 12pts combined from the two "superstars" AND YOU'RE CRITICISING THE GUY WHO HAD 45 or more (+ double digit rebounds as a guard) IN EACH OF THE LAST 2 GAMES? Come on - share the blame.

Re. your comment in bold - he is still a Top 10 player in the League. It's the hottest of hot takes to criticise RW now, but to think otherwise is delusional.

NufcNavan wrote: »

The Bucks are not good but FFS Boston are missing their 2 best players, and others! Some perspective please!

I don't think any Boston fan will judge Stevens or the team win or lose tonight. It's not about 2018, it wasn't after 6 mins of the regular season.

I have a strange feeling the Pelicans are going to win tonight if Curry is out.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Mo Bamba has ridiculous size - 7'0" with 9'9" reach!

Is the part in bold a typo? Seriously? Wow if not.....

• Advertisement

Meatyfubu wrote: »
    I'm delighted for the Jazz and Synder, devasted Rubio is injured though. When you see the T-Wolves gave up 12m Rubio for pittance to sign 18m Teague, you have to wonder.

I did find that very strange at the time. Wonder was there something more to it behind the scenes between Thibs and Rubio maybe? Always liked Rubio, esp. in International play. Only thing I don't get about him is he's an excellent FT shooter and yet such a poor shooter (relatively) otherwise. Normally the correlations is very clear - excellent FT shooters are usually very good shooters. Strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is the part in bold a typo? Seriously? Wow if not.....

Only slightly.. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/mohamed-bamba
    Strengths: A truly elite physical specimen in terms of length, Mohamed Bamba jumps off the page with his 7'9'' wingspan and 9'6'' standing reach

Rubio out for 10 days, likely more.

Big no call on Gobert/Paul last night. Tim Legler (one of the best analysts out there IMO) on ESPN gave a stat for the OKC Houston series last year where Houston drew 13 fouls on 3s in 5 Games in last year’s Play Offs, getting 39 Fts in the process and making 36 of them for over 7pts a game. Sucks for them.

LeBron’s first ever Rd 1 Game 7 tomorrow. I’d expect a huge game from him, win or lose. Pacers have the momentum after Game 6, and while I slightly favour them, I wouldn’t be surprised with either team winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Ah come on that team just never worked out and it can't all be Westbrooks fault. Melo was a gamble that never paid off and PG was below his usual high standard all season. Donovan has to go.

As for Adams, he is a pretty decent center but he should be donating half his salary to Westbrook every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

TNT have said that Gordon Hayward is following a rehab programme in Indianapolis and is not with the team, but I'm sure I've spotted him 2 or 3 rows behind the bench, if not it's his double.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Bucks going home. Celtics going on.

Jaylen Brown has a hammy and didn't play second half.

I know someone made that post inferring that refs are with LeBron and I dont agree to an extent but honestly having watched an awful lot of these playoff games I think the refs have been a of a really low standard.

The commentators on TNT mentioned it there in the GSW Pelicans game that 'its a foul for one team but not for the other' (not that it is mattering in this game) and they are right and I am not a GSW hater, i just want to see fair open, hard basketball.

[I am a Raptors fan] Watching every game in the Raptors Wizards series it was ridiculous, the wizards would be literally dragging people to the floor and nothing and the raptors would go up the floor and Valanciunus would give a decent screen and it was a foul. I really feared for them going out purely based on referees.

I think 10mins into Game 6 the wiz had 7 FT to 0 for Raptors, basically because John Wall drove every time and it was a foul somehow and again the commentators alluded to this but being like "wall is going to get those calls" but the raptors drove to the basket and got nothing. (Again I know driving to the basket does not guarantee a foul)

The fact that any player should get calls above any other player because of their reputation is a joke and it just seems to be accepted.

Does this just annoy me or any one else?

Having said all that im fricking enjoying these playoffs hugely just wish the officiating was more consistent

I know someone made that post inferring that refs are with LeBron and I dont agree to an extent but honestly having watched an awful lot of these playoff games I think the refs have been a of a really low standard.

The commentators on TNT mentioned it there in the GSW Pelicans game that 'its a foul for one team but not for the other' (not that it is mattering in this game) and they are right and I am not a GSW hater, i just want to see fair open, hard basketball.

[I am a Raptors fan] Watching every game in the Raptors Wizards series it was ridiculous, the wizards would be literally dragging people to the floor and nothing and the raptors would go up the floor and Valanciunus would give a decent screen and it was a foul. I really feared for them going out purely based on referees.

I think 10mins into Game 6 the wiz had 7 FT to 0 for Raptors, basically because John Wall drove every time and it was a foul somehow and again the commentators alluded to this but being like "wall is going to get those calls" but the raptors drove to the basket and got nothing. (Again I know driving to the basket does not guarantee a foul)

The fact that any player should get calls above any other player because of their reputation is a joke and it just seems to be accepted.

Having said all that im fricking enjoying these playoffs hugely just wish the officiating was more consistent

I'm not going to go down a rabbit hole again on this but I do think that although there certainly are times when it appears some players/teams are being favoured it's often just variance.

Ref calls for players and teams simply regress to the mean and the reason why it's more salient for some players and teams is because there is a narrative driving it and there is simply confirmation bias at work when an incident happens that fits.

For instance you are a Raptors supporter, those hard fouls that weren't called are more prevalent in your memory than the hard fouls that were missed on the Wizards. It compounds as you see another and it continues.

I posted before saying that I thought the Raptors were hard done by in a regular season game and didn't get a fair shake but I do think these calls tend to balance out long term. I have no doubts if I looked at every game objectively(which is pretty much impossible) then no real pattern would emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In game six of their series with the bucks, the Celtics attempted 36 three point shots. That's a ridiculous number IMO.

So what I'm curious is what do posters here think about how the three point line has changed the NBA for better or worse ?

I've rewatched a lot of the 1980's finals and just other games and even in the mid eighties it wasn't the go to shot. The game of basketball has evolved obviously but has every change been for the better ?

Meatyfubu wrote: »

I'm not going to go down a rabbit hole again on this but I do think that although there certainly are times when it appears some players/teams are being favoured it's often just variance.

Ref calls for players and teams simply regress to the mean and the reason why it's more salient for some players and teams is because there is a narrative driving it and there is simply confirmation bias at work when an incident happens that fits.

For instance you are a Raptors supporter, those hard fouls that weren't called are more prevalent in your memory than the hard fouls that were missed on the Wizards. It compounds as you see another and it continues.

I posted before saying that I thought the Raptors were hard done by in a regular season game and didn't get a fair shake but I do think these calls tend to balance out long term. I have no doubts if I looked at every game objectively(which is pretty much impossible) then no real pattern would emerge.
    I agree with alot of what you are saying about it regressing to the mean over a season but we are talking about a 7 game series here, sometimes there is no time to regress to the mean and somebody get screwed. Anyways, i was drunk when i wrote that and i know nothing will change and there is no point talking about it really, just frustrating when watching games, even games i dont have a horse in

LeBron's 1st half:

26 PTS
    5 AST
    4 REB
    11-16 FG
    24 minutes

:confused:

That seems a very soft technical foul.

The commentators aren't impressed with Lebron and his exaggerated falling over to get a foul called.

Did LeBron injure himself while flopping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Does "The King" have to be touched for a foul to be called or do you just have to look at him

cramp for lebron

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Very costly miss by Collison on a wide open 3. Had all the time in the world. He's actually been very good otherwise.

• Advertisement

Pacers got benefit of the doubt on two potential critical plays right there offensive on LBJ and Oladipo still held the ball when shot clock expired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement