Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

Argh, not looking forward to seeing LeBron for a series. Had to beat them at some stage I guess. Hopefully home court advantage holds for Toronto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That pacers team has big potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The things that killed us:

1) Our typical come out like room temperature barf at the beginning of the game and dig a hole.

2) Missed free throws when we finally got shooting fouls (note- that is something the Cavs did all season - they fouled on the floor prior to the shot rather than coming late and giving up shots).

3) Didn't take advantage of LBJ being off the floor and thought somehow we should leave the bench in instead of bringing in the starters to do some crushing.

4) Early in the 4th had Sabonis' offensive strategy at 5 being to shoot top-of-the-key jumpers or 3-point shots like he was Turner. Along with a dumb foul on Hill and not going up for the dunk down the stretch instead kicking it to Collison who missed.

They fought their way back and never gave up, which makes this much harder than usual. But, like many of us, in the back of my mind this was always a foregone conclusion. All I can say is that this team has faced the pressure now and knows what to expect. Watch out next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The things that killed us:

1) Our typical come out like room temperature barf at the beginning of the game and dig a hole.

2) Missed free throws when we finally got shooting fouls (note- that is something the Cavs did all season - they fouled on the floor prior to the shot rather than coming late and giving up shots).

3) Didn't take advantage of LBJ being off the floor and thought somehow we should leave the bench in instead of bringing in the starters to do some crushing.

4) Early in the 4th had Sabonis' offensive strategy at 5 being to shoot top-of-the-key jumpers or 3-point shots like he was Turner. Along with a dumb foul on Hill and not going up for the dunk down the stretch instead kicking it to Collison who missed.

They fought their way back and never gave up, which makes this much harder than usual. But, like many of us, in the back of my mind this was always a foregone conclusion. All I can say is that this team has faced the pressure now and knows what to expect. Watch out next year.
    Inexperience has a lot to do with the loss, I believe the Pacers are a much better balanced team than Cavs.
    As disappointing as elimination was tonight for the Pacers, this will only make them a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If the Cavs keep making LeBron play this many minutes, I'm seriously afraid he's gonna keel over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If the Cavs keep making LeBron play this many minutes, I'm seriously afraid he's gonna keel over!

The man himself said he's feeling burned out already. Raptors should get a little boost from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Meatyfubu

Rockets looked great last night especially Harden, funny how impressed D'Antoni is with Harden every time he's asked a question about him.

The staggering of CP3 and Harden works so well because they destroy teams offensively, Hardens step back 3 might be the most unstoppable move in the game right now.

That said, I'm not fully sure how they beat the Warriors when you have 4 legit all NBA team defenders in Klay, Iggie, Draymond and KD plus all that offensive fire power. They basically need to play super quick and shoot 50% from deep to win imo.

If Curry can get back right before the start of the West Finals then I think GSW get there in 6.
    The Warriors could probably do with extending the Pelicans series in order to get Curry some game time reps because if they keep playing like this it'll be a handy sweep.

I was watching Pacers-Cavs last night and I was thinking given the pre-game spread was 5.5 that Oladipo's 3pt shot that narrowed the gap to 4 points completely changed the course of the book for that game.

Apparently 3-5m swing: http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23360405/victor-oladipo-final-three-covers-spread-chagrin-delight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I honestly didn't see Boston winning last night without Brown on top of everyone else out too, but it was a very impressive team performance. Not sure if they can shoot that well again, or the Sixers play that badly; but they looked better than they did in any game in the Bucks series.

76ers weren't great defensively but I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Horford was 10/12 from the field with Rozier 7/9 from deep so that won't continue.
    I actually fancied Boston last night even without Brown, it'll be a close series either way with no less than 6 games imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Way more individual playoff games defying expectations this year than years previous.

Toronto and GS 6.5 and 11 point favs respectively tonight anyway.

Over last weekend I watched maybe 1.5hours of Ben Simmons plays this year on YouTube. He's freakishly talented and yet can look so awkward at times when finishing around the rim; but he's finishing at such a high rate you know it's not luck.

I probably had that in my mind thinking about last night's game and how I couldn't see Boston winning. I still think Philly win (as much because of Boston's injuries as anything else) because they have more talent, but it was an interesting game last night.

Note to LeBron fans who say I only nitpick on LeBron: He does seem to travel a lot too both in terms of when he receives the ball at pace in the open court (and walks before bouncing the ball) and has a habit of 3 stepping when he picks up the ball. The first of the above is not hugely obvious per se, but the second can be. Traveling is my biggest NBA pet peeve.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Way more individual playoff games defying expectations this year than years previous.

Toronto and GS 6.5 and 11 point favs respectively tonight anyway.

6.5 seems right by the numbers but it just feels so big for any Eastern team vs any team with LBJ on it. It would be a massive win if the Cavs could pull it off.

I'm very negative on DeRozan historically but if he can continue to shoot like this from deep (38.5%) I think the Cavs could well be in trouble.

Just bought a single ticket spontaneously to the game tonight. Going to be great to see LeBron in action and even better to see the Raptors beat him!

Pumped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Reasonably priced for second round or through the roof?

kmart6 wrote: »
    Reasonably priced for second round or through the roof?
    $160 canadian which isnt too bad, once the single tickets are there the price isnt extortionate.

Unbelievable game too, heartbreaking, the raps looked in control but lebron managed the cavs so well, didnt burst out with 40 but just ...it was his game.

Refs were actually good for a change. The first foul on lbj was a joke but then they only had 1 howler in my eyes and they went up thr floor and gave the raptors a soft one in a two wrongs make a right call

Still think the raptors are better though, korver killed us Tonight

$160 canadian which isnt too bad, once the single tickets are there the price isnt extortionate.

Unbelievable game too, heartbreaking, the raps looked in control but lebron managed the cavs so well, didnt burst out with 40 but just ...it was his game.

Refs were actually good for a change. The first foul on lbj was a joke but then they only had 1 howler in my eyes and they went up thr floor and gave the raptors a soft one in a two wrongs make a right call

Still think the raptors are better though, korver killed us Tonight

I actually went to bed after the first quarter when I saw LBJ go to the bench and the Cavs down 12 and the team they had on the floor had no answer for Raps without him. Pretty surprised with the result tbh.

I thought OG did a decent job on LBJ he certainly made his shot selection tougher but it's hard when LBJ can move the ball so well.

They'll be happy with the win but won't be happy having played LBJ 47 mins. Raps could easy sneak one in Cleveland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cleveland become just the second team in 20 postseasons to win a game without leading at any point during regular time.

LeBron was good last night (as we expect) with a triple double and some clutch buckets at the close of the 4th to extend, but he was hardly dominating; the Raps were hardly terrible; and they still won. As I said yesterday, so many individual games are playing massively against reasonable expectations.

Just bought a single ticket spontaneously to the game tonight. Going to be great to see LeBron in action and even better to see the Raptors beat him!

Pumped!

Had a feeling when you typed that it might bite you in the ass!

Sorry :(

Steph off the bench last night and it doesn't appear like he missed a minute. It's pretty ridiculous given the Pelicans starters all put up good numbers. I can't see the Rockets beating them, GSW just has too many options.

I don't know exactly what way the salary cap space is but that Pelicans team appears a piece away from making the leap. Unfortunately Boogie isn't the piece, I wonder if there is any sort of sign and trade deal for Boogie for a decent wing because they look decent right now, Davis just needs space.

• Advertisement

Had a feeling when you typed that it might bite you in the ass!

Sorry :(

haha I knew I was tempting fate!

Sifting through the wreckage this morning, I hadn't realised at the game the raptors missed their last 11 shouts.

Just watching sports centre here and I missed the flagrant from Love on DeRozan, yeesh. They never replayed in the arena.

Also just saw this:D

https://twitter.com/JeopardySports/status/991490936231350272

haha I knew I was tempting fate!

Sifting through the wreckage this morning, I hadn't realised at the game the raptors missed their last 11 shouts.

Just watching sports centre here and I missed the flagrant from Love on DeRozan, yeesh. They never replayed in the arena.

They talked about that at length on the Dunc'd on Podcast this morning. Their view is that Love was fouled by DeRozan and Val. before the elbow. I'm in two minds on it tbh. I've seen them called, and I've seen them not called. I don't think it's deliberate - but not saying that excuses it either.

As for the jeopardy comment.....he's a far better player than he's allowed to show in Cleveland. And he's effectively playing with a broken thumb. Such an easy scapegoat, and unfairly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

They talked about that at length on the Dunc'd on Podcast this morning

What a podcast, shout out

I'd be curious if LBJ leaves in the summer how close Kevin Love will get to the T-Wolves version.

The Cavs are under so many contracts next year they're going to have to blow it up or figure out something irrespective of what happens in the playoffs.

LBJ has to take a step back minutes wise next year and Kevin Love will be traded if LBJ stays imo.

That Twitter account is funny tbf, it even has non LBJ related tweets too.

What a podcast, shout out

Thought I was the only one to be interested in play by play analysis ;)

I like it, but I’d imagine it’d be awfully boring to the average fan.

It's a pity the way it's falling this week that the Western Conference games are on Sunday, it's always nice when the Eastern games are on.

Lowe with another good piece on this rounds match ups: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23378599/zach-lowe-rockets-jazz-celtics-76ers-nba-playoffs

Ramona Shelburne had a piece that garnered a lot of interest too regarding Kawhi: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23366667/inside-tension-kawhi-leonard-spurs

Meatyfubu wrote: »
    It's a pity the way it's falling this week that the Western Conference games are on Sunday, it's always nice when the Eastern games are on.

Lowe with another good piece on this rounds match ups: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23378599/zach-lowe-rockets-jazz-celtics-76ers-nba-playoffs

Ramona Shelburne had a piece that garnered a lot of interest too regarding Kawhi: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23366667/inside-tension-kawhi-leonard-spurs

Both discuss that Leonard piece on Lowe’s latest pod btw, with extra stuff not in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New Kobe Bryant: Attention to Detail episode

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement