Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RNGR_Melothon_T-1.png

The Melo Telethon needs your help today. We are only $28 million short of our goal of helping Oklahoma City avoid paying this hefty sum next season. All proceeds from the sale of this shirt will be donated to the “Melo’s Off the Bench Foundation”*.

With a donation of only $24.99, imagine the pride you’ll feel when people see you wearing this shirt and think “that person helped Melo pack up and leave town.” Our operators are standing by.

Big win for Utah last night - and surprising, not so much that they won but how they won. The book on Houston is you keep them under 100 (esp. from a team like Utah), which they didn't do. Also, they blew a lead but yet came back and won the 4th. As I said, surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Meatyfubu

Although Utah pulling off a win was impressive, it seems like a combo of poor shooting from the Rockets and great shooting from Utah.
    Everyone except for Mitchell shot the ball well Ingles 7/9 from deep.

I thought the fact that even in a loss that the Rockets turned the ball over only 7 times showed that Utah's defence is not forcing too many mistakes. I really like Utah but as the Rockets get closer to their season averages, the gap will be evident.

Meatyfubu wrote: »
    Although Utah pulling off a win was impressive, it seems like a combo of poor shooting from the Rockets and great shooting from Utah.
    Everyone except for Mitchell shot the ball well Ingles 7/9 from deep.

I thought the fact that even in a loss that the Rockets turned the ball over only 7 times showed that Utah's defence is not forcing too many mistakes. I really like Utah but as the Rockets get closer to their season averages, the gap will be evident.

Oh I'm not predicting they'll win or anything like that, just surprised Houston got beaten at home by a Rubio-less Utah. Six guys in double figures, and one other on 9. It's hard to beat that sometimes.

I kinda fancied Houston before the Play Offs with home court and Steph hurt to maybe take GS. Based on losing games to Utah at home and the T Wolves (in Rd 1) it says to me they're not mentally 100% focused for the fight. After seeing Steph ease back seamlessly, you'd have to say GS are looking much stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Playoffs quite bonkers to date. Giving up making predictions!

Toronto 6.5 pt favs again tonight...

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Toronto 6.5 pt favs again tonight...

It rarely changes much outside of a major injury no matter what the previous result. 538's model is good, regular season they explicitly factor in altitude, schedule etc opposed to regular gambling models.
    Those carmELO ratings are cool

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

It's been weird, but it's been way more interesting as a result. Best Play Offs in years to be fair, and I say that knowing my team has zero chance of winning it all.

NYK interviewed some interesting candidates for Head Coach including Kenny Smith. I'm not surprised he got an interview as he appears so much more objective alongside Charles and Shaq.
    I dont think he gets it but he'll get an assistant somewhere if he wants it.

Fizzdale, Borrego, Larranaga and Stackhouse all seem like strong choices

NYK interviewed some interesting candidates for Head Coach including Kenny Smith. I'm not surprised he got an interview as he appears so much more objective alongside Charles and Shaq.

G'wan Ireland!

Edit: For those of you who don't know, Jay played for Ireland.

Wouldn't touch him with a bargepole for a coaching role TBH but it's a typical NYK move - give the guy with the highest profile and someone with effectively zero coaching experience a shot, rather than someone with a coaching background. There's 30 head coaching jobs in the NBA. Why give it to a guy like that?

I hear what you're saying re. sounding objective but it's a totally relative statement when the other two are the comparative sample. For all Barkley's smart ass comments, hot takes, and the way he expresses himself, behind it all I think he's genuinely the smartest guy basketball wise on the panel. I'd rather have Barkley coach a team than Smith.

• Advertisement

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23388835/these-nba-players-step-their-game-most-playoffs

It's always suspected and even though he explicitly said he doesn't exist, it's been confirmed Playoff Rondo is real

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23388835/these-nba-players-step-their-game-most-playoffs

It's always suspected and even though he explicitly said he doesn't exist, it's been confirmed Playoff Rondo is real

Great piece, thanks for sharing.

For those of you interested, there's a good piece by Lee Jenkins on Houston on si.com and a follow up Pod with Ben Golliver (the smart one of the two regular hosts :pac:) on on the Open Floor Podcast. What's most interesting about it is the fact that Houston shuns movement on offence, which is completely counter-intuitive and goes against all prevailing thinking on ball movement. Really explains why Houston play like they do AND to a degree why they're such a horrible watch.

Also fascinating was the revelation that D'Antoni was a defensive player first when he was in the NBA. Of all the guys.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I KNEW it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wouldn't touch him with a bargepole for a coaching role TBH but it's a typical NYK move - give the guy with the highest profile and someone with effectively zero coaching experience a shot, rather than someone with a coaching background. There's 30 head coaching jobs in the NBA. Why give it to a guy like that?

I hear what you're saying re. sounding objective but it's a totally relative statement when the other two are the comparative sample. For all Barkley's smart ass comments, hot takes, and the way he expresses himself, behind it all I think he's genuinely the smartest guy basketball wise on the panel. I'd rather have Barkley coach a team than Smith.

Because James Dolan is the owner of the team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kmart6 wrote: »

No surprise he got a head coaching job but to me Fizdale is more suited to a veteran team as a more manager type than coach. He's supposedly very well liked by players on a personal level. He's not widely touted for his coaching like a Stevens, Snyder etc.

I thought a good coach was better suited to the Knicks from a development point of view but Fizdale certainly has the ability to handle the media which is helpful in NY.
    He was always going to be snapped up, I hope Jordan picks someone like Larranga

****ing disgrace of a decision there on lowry, pathetic, absolutely pathetic

****ing disgrace of a decision there on lowry, pathetic, absolutely pathetic

Yeah lowry was clearly not moving. Some of the calls not just in the playoffs have been shocking.

The DeMar goes down the other, clear foul not given but he gets the 2 at least. Big bad decisions so close to the end of the half, killer

• Advertisement

Hopefully they can keep their heads up tonight and get this over the line

Hopefully they can keep their heads up tonight and get this over the line

Maybe the half time came at a good time. It's not the first time I've seen bad calls in toronto in the last few months.

Also Jaylen Brown may not go for the Celtics tonight.

this is depressing, very depressing

LeBronto is trending on Twitter now, complete humiliation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LeBronto is trending on Twitter now, complete humiliation

What can you do... when a guy that good is that confident. And its clearly in Torontos head too. Was really hoping for a Sixers Toronto final but that looks unlikely on both counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Some absolutely unreal stuff from LeBron tonight. All dem fadeaways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Some absolutely unreal stuff from LeBron tonight. All dem fadeaways

8 in one half... ludicrous. He'll look great in the red white and blue of Philly next year. :pac:

There was one a bit into the fourth they was one of the highest arcs one ever seen and he still hit nothing but net.

If Love can sustain that level of performance (lol) they could well beat Philly, which I just couldn't have imagined before tonight.

• Advertisement

Brown has just checked in and missed a three and made a huge dunk inside about 30 seconds.

Commentators didn't say anything but I thought he landed a bit gingerly on the leg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement