Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

loved the playoffs especially the East as it's far more entertaining and pretty open.

Also 3 ex lakers are in for the Finals

Young, Clarkson and Nance Jr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

5star02707 wrote: »
    loved the playoffs especially the East as it's far more entertaining and pretty open.

Also 3 ex lakers are in for the Finals

Young, Clarkson and Nance Jr.

That's the biggest reach I've seen in a long time!:pac:

One future Laker too (probably).

Watched a few Kenyon Martin interviews recently on The Herd. He's far more knowledgeable and insightful than I had given him credit for - granted he's not someone I had heard much from ever to be fair.

In the last few he's dished on why everyone (incl. teammates) hates Chris Paul, why he'd prefer to play with Russel Westbrook over James Harden...and more. They're all on You Tube if you're interested.

I've said it multiple times over the years but I really like Tim Legler as an analyst. Here's a snapshot from last night:

None of the nonsense that the Chuckle Brothers (Shaq, Kenny and Barkley) engage in, just basketball smarts. He used to do the late night shows (possibly still does) and was excellent on those. Wish they focused more on this type of analysis rather than the laughs they seem to go for with the other guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Anyone else think the Warriors were taking it somewhat easy last night?
    Once Chris Paul was injured, the series was essentially over.
    Harden isn't good enough to win by himself.

In Games 6 and 7 they turned on the afterburner for the third quarter and easily took a lead.
    Not much need to play hard for the entire game if you know you can seemingly do that at will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

vetinari wrote: »

In Games 6 and 7 they turned on the afterburner for the third quarter and easily took a lead.
    Not much need to play hard for the entire game if you know you can seemingly do that at will.

I definitely think they've shown signs of complacency this year. They have five hall of famers on their roster though, they can do what they like and still win. It's a dangerous game all the same - Houston make four or five of their 14 three ball attempts in the third quarter and we might be here admonishing them today.

vetinari wrote: »

The 3rd quarter thing has been a thing all year for them, they're something ridiculous like +500pts wise in the 3rd quarters this year.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yawn away, but the playoffs has been great this year to date! There's been great series at every round. Getting to the inevitable conclusion was far more entertaining than promised.

Has it though? Lots of game 7s but lots of blowouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Has it though? Lots of game 7s but lots of blowouts

Agree.

Some close series but the individual games of these close series have generally been pretty awful. I've fast forwarded through the 4th quarter of the vast majority of games I've watched in the playoffs this year.

Same teams meeting in the finals for the 4th straight year is really disappointing, any sort of variety would have been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I can get $900 for my ticket to game 1, iam really torn. Playing with house money so iam not losing anything if I go but $900 is $900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I can get $900 for my ticket to game 1, iam really torn. Playing with house money so iam not losing anything if I go but $900 is $900

Take the 900 and put it to good use, you can always rewatch them 2 playing in the finals 😂

GS are 1.10 favs on Thursday. You’ll be watching a game likely to be settled at HT - though that means the atmosphere should be lit for a period while GS go off.

$900 is a lot of money for an individual match ticket, any individual match. But your decision is right either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

GS are 1.10 favs on Thursday. You’ll be watching a game likely to be settled at HT - though that means the atmosphere should be lit for a period while GS go off.

$900 is a lot of money for an individual match ticket, any individual match. But your decision is right either way!

Up for sale, was a no brainer in the end, might have to drop to $850 if no takers tonight.
    The fact it could very well be a blow out made decision easier, insane money for someone to pay but hey, I can’t really complain. I would nearly rather the demand was less so I wouldn’t even want to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So 76ers President of Basketball Operations, Bryan Colangelo, has been caught operating a number of anonymous Twitter accounts to not only defend himself but also disclose sensitive team matters and criticise current players and executives. Oh, and his shirt collars :pac:

Very strange:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

Paully D wrote: »
    So 76ers President of Basketball Operations, Bryan Colangelo, has been caught operating a number of anonymous Twitter accounts to not only defend himself but also disclose sensitive team matters and criticise current players and executives. Oh, and his shirt collars :pac:

Very strange:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

:o

So weird. Up there with Durant's nonsense a while back. These people aren't normal!

GS -12.5 in Game One :pac:

GS -12.5 in Game One :pac:

Highest handicap for a Finals Game ever. I'm still very tempted. It's this season's GS conundrum though - they'll beat it easily if they want it or aren't too complacent, but then again, they've been so complacent it's a little risky. A little.

Game 7 in Houston was the highest handicap for a road team ever in a Game 7. Jumped on it late but it came in easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

:o

So weird. Up there with Durant's nonsense a while back. These people aren't normal!

This is probably a bit more sinister if it's true though. Its pretty serious to go leaking information about a players health etc especially about as an executive.

The Durant thing was completely different. Responding to trolls on Twitter is pretty harmless, it speaks volumes about his personality, but it does nobody any harm really.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    This is probably a bit more sinister if it's true though. Its pretty serious to go leaking information about a players health etc especially about as an executive.

The Durant thing was completely different. Responding to trolls on Twitter is pretty harmless, it speaks volumes about his personality, but it does nobody any harm really.

+1.

It's far worse than Durant's to be fair. Durant's was a combination of ego and insecurity. This is far more sinister, and indeed Machiavellian in nature. He's had pops at the coach, at players, given out informartion which should be confidential, dissing players publicly (under an alias) whilst no doubt behaving very differently to their faces etc. It's very damaging from a player-management relationship perspective.

It's obviously more serious, but it's the same concept. Durant has no influence over anything and no skin in the game beyond his own ego and insecurities, hence it not being as serious.

The owner should be removing him from his position for this I would think.

• Advertisement

The Ringer NBA show and The Lowe Post both cover the Collangelo story on podcasts if anyone is interested. Obviously as The Ringer broke it they have the journalists involved in to discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Put some small €5 bets on with PP.

Cavs to win the series 4-2 @20/1

LeBron to be Finals MVP @7/1.

Think they can do it if James keeps up this amazing form, and they can stop Durant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Put some small €5 bets on with PP.

Cavs to win the series 4-2 @20/1

LeBron to be Finals MVP @7/1.

Think they can do it if James keeps up this amazing form, and they can stop Durant.
    Nah mate, the problem is & has always been Steph Curry.
    Durant made the Warriors unfair, but Curry is the heart of the offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I wonder how the Warriors will line out tonight? I'm guessing the Cavs will probably go with LBJ, JR, Hill, Love and Thompson. If I was Kerr I'd probably throw in Zaza/McGee instead of Looney/Bell.

The Cavs will be able to target Curry and Looney/Bell pretty successfully I'd say so a decent anchor-center would probably be the safest bet for the Warriors, especially early on where they have given a few soft leads this year.

I'm all for cheering on the underdog but I'm struggling to see how the Cavs can win more than 1 or 2 games. I can't remember being less interested in an NBA finals, ever. I'm going to see if I can stay up for it but I won't be watching every minute of the series live like I usually do.

Listening to the Bill Simmons pod now. He says there might (that’s a yes) be a follow-up piece to the Collangelo story in a few days.

Can’t see how Collangelo keeps his job tbh after reading and listening to as much as I have about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Up for sale, was a no brainer in the end, might have to drop to $850 if no takers tonight.
    The fact it could very well be a blow out made decision easier, insane money for someone to pay but hey, I can’t really complain. I would nearly rather the demand was less so I wouldn’t even want to sell

Did you shift it? Saw the numbers still available before the game started, definitely some fatigue with this matchup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

JR being JR!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,838 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

JR 100% thought they had the lead there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Total horse**** call by the refs reversing that call.
    The Warriors are getting some key calls.

Absolute brain dead by JR at the end. He's such a ****ing idiot.
    I have no idea why they keep playing him.
    His shot selection and shooting is woeful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement