Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can’t begin to imagine where Melo goes next. No contenders will want that, and I cannot see him wanting to play for the type of small market tank teams that might throw him out there to sell tickets. I’m stumped as to what he’ll do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Zach LaVine 78 million.....well ok then....

Bulls front office in ridiculous decision shocker.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very dull free agency period overall compared to the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Paully D wrote: »
    Bulls front office in ridiculous decision shocker.

Sigh.

You could just as easily change that to Sacramento to be fair.

• Advertisement

Some of the otehr deals over the last few days:

Booker $158m for 5years. Seems like a bit of an overpay on some levels but given his age and his production and the likely increasing cap it'll prob. be a bargain in a few years.

Zaza to Detroit for 1year at $2m-ish (can't remember the number and can't be arsed looking).
    Brook Lopez to Milwaukee for 1year at $3.4m.
    Nurkic 4years at $48m.

No deals yet for Clint Capella or Marcus Smart. Houston and Boston being smart, but likely p*ssing off both parties.

No deal for IT either. That Brinks Truck is fast turning into a veteran's minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Some of the otehr deals over the last few days:

Booker $158m for 5years. Seems like a bit of an overpay on some levels but given his age and his production and the likely increasing cap it'll prob. be a bargain in a few years.

Zaza to Detroit for 1year at $2m-ish (can't remember the number and can't be arsed looking).
    Brook Lopez to Milwaukee for 1year at $3.4m.
    Nurkic 4years at $48m.

No deals yet for Clint Capella or Marcus Smart. Houston and Boston being smart, but likely p*ssing off both parties.

No deal for IT either. That Brinks Truck is fast turning into a veteran's minimum.
    IT missing out big time. You would wonder which party was more keen for him to play through that hip injury, it's probably cost him 80 odd million at this stage

Rockets lose another important role player with Mbah a Moute leaving for the Clippers. That’s a big hole on their wings with Ariza gone too, and they’ve yet to sign Capella.

They’re going backwards. It’s beginning to look like they had a 1 year window.

Even worse news for them is they’re being linked with Melo. ;)

Although to be fair, you’d have to assume that’s coming from Melo’s camp/agent.

More great Melo stats from Bleacher Report:

Carmelo Anthony, a reported target of the Rockets, simply cannot see the floor in meaningful minutes against Golden State. The Oklahoma City Thunder were 2.6 points per 100 possessions better on defense without Melo last year, and he ranked 72nd among 82 power forwards in ESPN's Defensive Real Plus-Minus. Twenty-four players took at least 1,168 shots last year; Anthony's effective field-goal percentage ranked 24th in that group.
    He will not help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Great look at what goes on in the off-season.

Wish I could've seen the full Jojo/Tatum/Mo Bamba 1v1 scrimmage!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

I'm glad we traded him away last September

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Great look at what goes on in the off-season.

Wish I could've seen the full Jojo/Tatum/Mo Bamba 1v1 scrimmage!

Great video, thanks for sharing. I used to watch and read Idan Ravin's stuff a lot...worth checking him out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Watching the match last night, England player goes down injured. Mrs R says "Who's that?" I replied "Kemba Walker ". I blamed it on jet lag.

On the above video you really get an idea of how big these guys are when compared to average-sized folk. The Bamba wing span is obvious when you watch Embiid v Tatum first and then Bamba v Tatum. Meyers Leonard when he enters at first just looks so tall, and he's shredded more than I thought, but still needs to put on some muscle/weight to maximise his potential IMO.

The Embiid stuff is scary for me, that a guy can do what he does at his height. He's insanely talented and physically gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Isaiah Thomas signs on at Denver for vets minimum..Remember when he said Boston would have to back up a Brinks truck to pay him.....

Isaiah Thomas signs on at Denver for vets minimum..Remember when he said Boston would have to back up a Brinks truck to pay him.....

In fairness, he was an All Star, a 29ppg player, an All NBA 2nd Team, King of he 4th (not a fan of that kind of nickname) etc......and until he got injured no-one was questioning him at a max level on playing ability (though a few did on age). All the stuff that came out afterwards re. locker room chemistry and fit have certainly hurt, but the injury has likely been the main factor.

I think Boston knew how bad the injury was before the trade, but equally, Cleveland's medical team should be able to say "no" on that too. If they don't have a medical team that's up to scratch, that's on them, not Boston.

I didn't think Boston were likely to pay the max not for any of the above bt becuase he was always a cog in the wheel and an asset to get from Point A to Point B.

Here's something I wrote on here in March 2016 - over a year BEFORE he was traded:
    25-03-2016, 17:48 #739 ButtersSuki
    blue_star_4.gif

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjavi viewpost.gif
    To Celtics Fans: This is not a troll question, just genuinely interested,

What do you think of Thomas? do you see him as a franchise player?

Each time I get to watch their games I only see him as a hero ball without Kobe's clutch.

I don't see that as a trolling question at all.

He might have better numbers but talk to any Boston fan with a brain and they'll tell you who the star on that team is.

Thomas is a short term acquisition. He won't be in Boston in 3 years. Hell he may not even be there next.

Boston are going to pull the trigger this summer on something big. Everyone is likely on the blocks at this stage as they seek to turn the just below great team talent into great team.

Trust in Ainge!

And later from March 2017:
    28-03-2017, 22:15 #631 ButtersSuki
    blue_star_4.gif

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brady23 viewpost.gif
    Celtics big issue is paying guys, personally I think the Harford move was a waste of time if they weren't going after a 3rd star say George/Butler at the deadline.

Horford and even Thomas's timeline don't match well with the rest of their assets and now Thomas is going to have to be paid, so is Crowder he's on 900k.

They needed to swing for the fences at the trade deadline or not sign Horford imo.

I don't think they're at risk per say because of the Nets deal but they have alot of people to pay very soon so they need to do a semi reset or make some moves with some picks and become a genuine championship contender.
    They have too many assets not to be relevant.

I love Ainge and I think Steven's could be the next Pop but the next 2 years are crucial.

I'm sure Randavie would be willing to give a Kings ransom for Thomas. All my picks for the next 10 years, Skal Labiserre, Willie Cauley Stein for Thomas, sounds possible.

Bill Simmons thinks they're dealing Isiah this summer depending on who they pull in the draft. I can understand the logic but I'd imagine the deal wouldn't go down well with the Boston faithful for whom Thomas is a hero right now. He was also pretty sure they're making moves on Hayward (because of the Stevens and Butler connection primarily) but I personally don't think he's at that level where those two deals combined moves them to the next level. They need more.

Agree the Horford deal wasn't the best move. I feel they did it as they lost the Durant sweepstakes. They have a great core, but they need to do something big this summer as the clock is ticking.

I think most of these moves are designed as part of a chain of events (trades) to land Davis with enough supporting talent to make that work. As a Celtics fan though I have a bad feeling Kyrie is walking next year......

Strange 3way trade (not officially a 3way yet, but it will be apparently) involving Jeremy Lin going to Atlanta. Lin’s been injured since opening night last season with a very serious injury to a team who’ve just drafted a PG (Young) and have another in Schroder (who you have assume is going to be shopped now).

Denver (Faried most notably) and Brooklyn also involved. It shows how quickly the game has evolved in the last few years where Faried can go from a roster spot on the US team to effectively unplayable in the current league. He made the All Tournament Team in the 2014 Worlds in Spain. I saw him play at that (and several times in the NBA) and though very limited in what he can do he’s a good role player (or at least was), particularly for the international game.

Not content with paying oft-injured and coming off a serious injury Zac Lavigne $20m per for 4 years the Bulls go and sign off-injured and coming off a serious injury Jabari Parker for $20m for 2 years.

I now think you’re dumber than the Kings.

Jimmy Butler starts the 2019 off season rumours end discussions early by not signing his T Wolves max. It will be a long season for Minny fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He'd be leaving like 50m on the table if he signed this year instead of next, though not many Wolves fans think he's going to stay anyway. Maybe they do ship him off this year and try get something in return instead of letting him off on a free next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Parker deal is a second year team option as well, low risk for a team still tanking this year and frees up lots of space for the free agent batch of next year

Dunc'd On said at one stage last week that over 60% of deals done this year were 1 year deals and more importantly that almost 50% of the League were FAs next year. I find that number to be very much on high side, but if it's true (and given the source you'd have to suspect he does his homework), summer of 2019 will be crazy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In fairness, he was an All Star, a 29ppg player, an All NBA 2nd Team, King of he 4th (not a fan of that kind of nickname) etc......and until he got injured no-one was questioning him at a max level on playing ability (though a few did on age). All the stuff that came out afterwards re. locker room chemistry and fit have certainly hurt, but the injury has likely been the main factor.

I think Boston knew how bad the injury was before the trade, but equally, Cleveland's medical team should be able to say "no" on that too. If they don't have a medical team that's up to scratch, that's on them, not Boston.

I didn't think Boston were likely to pay the max not for any of the above bt becuase he was always a cog in the wheel and an asset to get from Point A to Point B.

This was me from August last year regarding why Boston were wise to move him on. I still reckon Ainge did right.
    I'd say they sure don't want to pay him what he wants ($180m+/5 years) for 29 year old would hamper them significantly when all the guys on the roster currently on rookie-scale contracts need to be paid. Getting a 25-year old Kyrie is an upgrade on the court and off ( 2 years left on a relatively palatable salary $18/20m p.a). And then there's the matter of ITs injury..

This was me from August last year regarding why Boston were wise to move him on. I still reckon Ainge did right.

Oh for sure when it was a Kyrie v IT decision it’s a no brainer, but the shock is he’s gone from a max to minimum level in 15 months.

A counterpoint made my someone on defence of Kawhi this weekend was “look what’s happened to IT by playing injured”. I see the point, but they’re very different injuries to be fair, and it ignores Kawhi’s behaviour too (which I think has been appalling).

Sixers tried to poach Morey from the Rockets it seems and got a no. So strange, he’s a Hinkie disciple, and the Collangelo’s esssntially forced Hinkie our. They could do a lot worse than re-hire Hinkie.....if he’d go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Marcel Delightful Viewfinder

Didn't the NBA make them fire hinky though?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Woj and Chris Haynes reporting on a Kawhi to Toronto trade, in which DeRozan is part of the package.

Didn't the NBA make them fire hinky though?

No..........

• Advertisement

Woj and Chris Haynes reporting on a Kawhi to Toronto trade, in which DeRozan is part of the package.

Rumours circulating on that since last week but I didn’t think Toronto would be dumb enough to do it. Whatever about Leonard staying in a big (US) city, I can’t see him staying in another country. I wonder how much he’ll play?

I’m interested to see what Pop can do with someone like DeRozan though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement