Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I could see Kawhi handing in a sick note from his Uncle to get him out of playing if he ended up in a place he doesn't like but if he doesn't play next season he more than likely will further damage his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I could see Kawhi handing in a sick note from his Uncle to get him out of playing if he ended up in a place he doesn't like but if he doesn't play next season he more than likely will further damage his reputation.

Don’t think he cares, or is aware tbh.

Paully D wrote: »

What a shock, lol. You have to wonder wtf Toronto are thinking - they must have zero self awareness and missed everything Kawhi has done for the last year on probably the best run franchise in basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Initial thoughts are this is a very poor return for the Spurs IMO, considering they had to put Green in too.

Need time to digest this further.

Part of me wonders if it's a giant "F**k You" from the Spurs considering how he's been this year. Whilst a small part of me applauds that, the more logical me wonders why would you put your redevelopment back a few years because of a grudge?

Shocking return the more I think of it, shocking. Top 5 (arguably Top 3) guy in the League for that? I never rated DeRozan, AND he's also overpaid and on a longer deal (from memory, need to check that) than Kawhi. Why not ask for more picks or some of the younger talent instead of who they got and a protected pick?

Team USA training with Pop and Kawhi should be fun......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Initial thoughts are this is a very poor return for the Spurs IMO, considering they had to put Green in too.

Need time to digest this further.

I don't know, I think Toronto are daft to trade for Kawhi when (a) he may not bother his arse playing for the season and (b) he's definitely not going to stay there when his contract expires in the summer and (c) they give up deRozan - who I think is overpaid, but at least actually playing - in the process

Shocking return the more I think of it, shocking. Top 5 (arguably Top 3) guy in the League for that? I never rated DeRozan, AND he's also overpaid and on a longer deal (from memory, need to check that) than Kawhi. Why not ask for more picks or some of the younger talent instead of who they got and a protected pick?

DeRozan has two years plus a player option for a third year left @ $27.4m/season

I don't know, I think Toronto are daft to trade for Kawhi when (a) he may not bother his arse playing for the season and (b) he's definitely not going to stay there when his contract expires in the summer and (c) they give up deRozan in the process.

I think they wanted off DeRozan's monster contract TBH, and the length of it. Is he ever going to lead them to anything? No. Is he overpaid? Yes. I think his numbers will go backwards in the tougher west next year tbh. he's certainly not going to be an All Star in that conference.

I'd agree there's not a chance in hell Kawhi is staying.

BUT.......I think Toronto are being more cynically strategic in this than maybe are given credit for. Kawhi won't stay and next year 50%+ of the league are free agents. They can now use that DeRozan money to go after someone else.....with all that money going around and that many players available they'll get someone.

• Advertisement

DeRozan has two years plus a player option for a third year left @ $27.4m/season

So they've saved 2 years on that effectively and have near max money to chase someone. Makes sense to me from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm sure Jakob Pöltl can be turned into a system player under Pop; 7'0" and only 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Can't believe Toronto have done this, trade one of best and most loyal players in your franchise's history for a lad you know doesn't want to be there and will leave after one year.

So they've saved 2 years on that effectively and have near max money to chase someone. Makes sense to me from that perspective.

They don't really though, most of their big contracts (and there are some stinkers there) don't expire for another 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

With DeRozan and Aldridge the Spurs might average more mid-range attempts than every other team combined next year.

They don't really though, most of their big contracts (and there are some stinkers there) don't expire for another 2 years..

Well....they lose DeRozan off the books now. Add Kawhi in for 1 year to more or less negate that. Then years 2 and 3 you have no DeRozan so you have opened up $27+m cap space next year that you wouldn't have keeping him.....regardless of the other stinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Why didn't the Lakers try and trade for him? Gambling that they can get him as a free agent next summer?

qwabercd wrote: »
    Why didn't the Lakers try and trade for him? Gambling that they can get him as a free agent next summer?

They obviously didn't offer enough and considering they'd have to give up a piece or two (or three) that could be very useful next year and beyond why should they? They know he's going there next year, everyone does.

They obviously didn't offer enough and considering they'd have to give up a piece or two (or three) that could be very useful next year and beyond why should they? They know he's going there next year, everyone does.

Be some craic if his 'I'm going to LA" ended up being the Clippers...

Be some craic if his 'I'm going to LA" ended up being the Clippers...

Apparently the Clippers were/are in the mix. He has stated he wants to be a Laker at some stage, but apparently there were soundings he's not massively keen on being there at the same time as LeBron. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think it's a good trade for both sides tbh. Pop gets another very good player that will allow him to compete (even if he's unlikely to get past Warriors) and Raptors continue to shake things up and if Leonard plays next year and is motivated, maybe they can go very far in the East and to the Finals and potentially convince Leonard to change like Thunder did with George.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

There was a report out that Kawhi changed his mind about the Lakers when Lebron signed as Kawhi wanted to be the "top dog" the "number one guy" and not play second to Lebron and Kawhi apparently said the Clippers were now his preferred choice.

Whether there was any truth in the story, Who knows but made Kawhi look like a joke wanting to go to a team to be the number one guy when he was already the number one guy in a team.

titan18 wrote: »
    Think it's a good trade for both sides tbh. Pop gets another very good player that will allow him to compete (even if he's unlikely to get past Warriors) and Raptors continue to shake things up and if Leonard plays next year and is motivated, maybe they can go very far in the East and to the Finals and potentially convince Leonard to change like Thunder did with George.

I admire your optimism but the Spurs aren't competing in the West with DeRozan for anything other than a Play Off berth. He'll be a better than average player sure, but in the West he'll be smothered by the talent that's in the Conference. Not a chance he's an All Star next year, I expect to see a significant regression and significant reevaluation of him (downwards) next year when he's playing better players night in, night out....even within Pop's system.

Your "unlikely to get the past the Warriors" might be the understatement of the year. They weren't getting by them with Kawhi, they're certainly not getting by them with DeRozan.

PG staying with the Thunder will prob. be the exception rather than the rule over time. Not a chance Kawhi stays in Toronto. Not a chance.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    There was a report out that Kawhi changed his mind about the Lakers when Lebron signed as Kawhi wanted to be the "top dog" the "number one guy" and not play second to Lebron and Kawhi apparently said the Clippers were now his preferred choice.

Whether there was any truth in the story, Who knows but made Kawhi look like a joke wanting to go to a team to be the number one guy when he was already the number one guy in a team.

He's either very foolish or being very badly advised or some combination of both.

He'll never be on a better run franchise than the Spurs, never play for a better coach than Pop and if he keeps his shenanigans up might find his reputation permanently damaged (it's already heavily damaged). He might never win another Championship or even go to the Finals if he keeps this sh*t up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I admire your optimism but the Spurs aren't competing in the West with DeRozan for anything other than a Play Off berth. He'll be a better than average player sure, but in the West he'll be smothered by the talent that's in the Conference. Not a chance he's an All Star next year, I expect to see a significant regression and significant reevaluation of him (downwards) next year when he's playing better players night in, night out....even within Pop's system.

I believe Pop makes everyone better, and he'll make DeRozan better. They finished 7th with no Kawhi, just Aldridge. They're a few wins better with DeRozan added which could be good for 4th in the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

This whole Kawahi thing reminds me of Nicholas Anelka ( for this of you who might remember him) of Arsenal fame. Scored a heap of goals when they won the league in '98, listened to his advisers ( his brothers) , transferred to Madrid, and his career petered out from there, he ended up with feck all from a very promising career. Would hate to see Kawahi do this but I feel his "advisers " don't have his best interests at heart. Hope I'm wrong!!

rushfan wrote: »
    This whole Kawahi thing reminds me of Nicholas Anelka ( for this of you who might remember him) of Arsenal fame. Scored a heap of goals when they won the league in '98, listened to his advisers ( his brothers) , transferred to Madrid, and his career petered out from there, he ended up with feck all from a very promising career. Would hate to see Kawahi do this but I feel his "advisers " don't have his best interests at heart. Hope I'm wrong!!

Great analogy. I see it like that with a bit of Andrew Bynum thrown in.

titan18 wrote: »
    I believe Pop makes everyone better, and he'll make DeRozan better. They finished 7th with no Kawhi, just Aldridge. They're a few wins better with DeRozan added which could be good for 4th in the conference.

The Spurs were one of the oldest teams (if the not the oldest team) in the League last year. They'll all (obviously) be a year older next Play Offs. Parker is gone. Manu (who's 41 this month btw) is now the only one left from the '14 Championship Team. Gasol has just turned 38.

I think a lot of last year was played with emotions and "he's coming back' etc. I'll eat my hat if they finish 4th next year.

And btw, I'm a massive fan of Pop and the Spurs organisation. I'm not saying any of this out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Carmelo traded to the Hawks

• Advertisement

rushfan wrote: »
    Carmelo traded to the Hawks

Better than paying him for nothing I guess but not sure how much court time or the ball Schroder will see in OKC. Salary dump for Atlanta as I assume they’ll wave Melo asap.

Muscala to Philly in the same trade is a good pick up for a rotation player but nothing more than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement