Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Listened to all 16 of CJ McCollum's podcasts to date over the last couple of weeks.

The KD ones aside, they're not great and really highlight the difference between an athlete doing a pod and professional journalist. Indeed you could argue the KD ones were only great because of KD and what was discussed there rather than McCollum.

One thing that's really annoying about him however is his constant references to how much he makes, how much he has in the bank, how high his thread count is etc.; it's not a good look and it's certainly not modest. I know when they got swept by NO in the Play Offs and he got criticised by some Portland fans for his performances he replied tweeting pics of his cars. I now some soccer player did this a few years ago and got roasted for it, but McCollum seems to be getting a bit of a pass.

It's not an endearing trait.

I'd argue that not being very endearing applies to the vast majority of NBA stars.I don't think there is a sport it the world (maybe NFL) which has such a high proportion of egotistical obnoxious individuals involved in it.

The Americans however seem to love that sort of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'd argue that not being very endearing applies to the vast majority of NBA stars.I don't think there is a sport it the world (maybe NFL) which has such a high proportion of egotistical obnoxious individuals involved in it.

The Americans however seem to love that sort of crap.

You likely have a point, but not all of them have podcasts where they boast about it. I'd say the NFL is probably worse to be fair, but we're splitting hairs at that point.

Also, not every single player does it. LeBron's (and I've been a huge critic of his from a playing perspective and some of his "decisions") recent school gesture was amazing in fairness...even if he milked the PR element a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

You likely have a point, but not all of them have podcasts where they boast about it. I'd say the NFL is probably worse to be fair, but we're splitting hairs at that point.

Also, not every single player does it. LeBron's (and I've been a huge critic of his from a playing perspective and some of his "decisions") recent school gesture was amazing in fairness...even if he milked the PR element a little.

There's always some decent guys that break the norm in any sport , I just feel with NBA players seem to be completely in love with themselves and have no problem letting the whole world know how great they are.

You see interviews with NBA players and a large proportion of them just come across as complete egomaniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Listened to all 16 of CJ McCollum's podcasts to date over the last couple of weeks.

The KD ones aside, they're not great and really highlight the difference between an athlete doing a pod and professional journalist. Indeed you could argue the KD ones were only great because of KD and what was discussed there rather than McCollum.

One thing that's really annoying about him however is his constant references to how much he makes, how much he has in the bank, how high his thread count is etc.; it's not a good look and it's certainly not modest. I know when they got swept by NO in the Play Offs and he got criticised by some Portland fans for his performances he replied tweeting pics of his cars. I now some soccer player did this a few years ago and got roasted for it, but McCollum seems to be getting a bit of a pass.

I could tell from the short excerpts they've played on open floor that it wasn't one I'd any interest in listening to.

Whoops wrong thread!

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    I could tell from the short excerpts they've played on open floor that it wasn't one I'd any interest in listening to.

The KD ones are good; they're certainly entertaining when KD basically laughs at him a few times and seriously trolls him when he (McCollum) talks about the Blazers as contenders. The others are meh...although the Jaylen Brown one was good - but again not because of McCollum. Brown is probably about as level-headed and modest as they come and is a very interesting guy even at such a young age.

TBH I only listened to them for the KD ones as they went viral, the others I fell into as it's the offseason and there's very little good b'ball pods this time of year - I'd exhausted all of the usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Jaylen Brown is a seriously impressive 21yr old:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

He has a degree in Journalism funnily enough. I remember him doing some media work at one of the recent All Star games, I think the 16-17 season.

He has a degree in Journalism funnily enough. I remember him doing some media work at one of the recent All Star games, I think the 16-17 season.

I know he has, but surely you'd agree there's a big difference between having a degree in journalism and being a professional journalist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I know he has, but surely you'd agree there's a big difference between having a degree in journalism and being a professional journalist?

As someone unemployed who's just gotten a degree in journalism... how dare you :p

As a Portland fan even I don't listen to the podcast, they're rarely all that interesting and the good quotes usually get pulled and posted on twitter or something anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I know it's the wrong thread to ask but with buying NBA jerseys, if you order off the actual nba store does it come.with the sponsor logo, like the Lakers have wish and 76ers have StubHub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Not NBA related (yet anyway) but has anybody been following Aidan Igiehon's career so far? Very highly rated over in the states, some sites rank him as on of the top 30 high school players in the country. Most of the big NCAAB setups have tried to recruit him.

Jumping the gun a bit obviously but...could we have a second Irish born NBA player?

Hococop wrote: »
    I know it's the wrong thread to ask but with buying NBA jerseys, if you order off the actual nba store does it come.with the sponsor logo, like the Lakers have wish and 76ers have StubHub?

To the best of my knowledge, all jerseys come WITHOUT sponsors logos. I've yet to see a jersey with a sponsors logo in the flesh - be that in a shop or on a fan. Was in 4 arena team shops last year in the US (Knicks, Nets, Boston and Denver) and not one jersey (no matter what style/type) had a sponsors logo. Their customer service is pretty good though so crop them an email or chat live and ask for absolute confirmation before you buy.

One piece of advice I'd give however is don't buy the Nike authentic game jerseys - they tear like paper. If you're just wearing them about the place I guess it should be ok, but if you want to play in them it'll be very expensive!

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Not NBA related (yet anyway) but has anybody been following Aidan Igiehon's career so far? Very highly rated over in the states, some sites rank him as on of the top 30 high school players in the country. Most of the big NCAAB setups have tried to recruit him.

Jumping the gun a bit obviously but...could we have a second Irish born NBA player?

It'd be great if he made it, but he has a long way to go before then. He's doing well by all accounts and is improving and unlike Pat Burke*, actually lived here for more than 1 second. :pac:

*I played with Pat, he's used to such comments.

Meant to post this last week - Clippers sacking ex-spur Bruce Bowen because he criticised Kawhi and how he handled his "injury" last year. This apparently is a move to show Leonard they will protect him...because yeah, he's coming to the Clippers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

It's a sad day for all basketball fans, Manu Ginobli has announced his retirement. A true warrior who'll be missed from the NBA.

Saw it suggested a few times and I really wouldn't be surprised if the 6MOTY award is named after Manu eventually.

Haven't posted in a few weeks as have been very busy with other stuff.

Couple of comments:
    • Manu retiring :( One of my all time Top 5 favourite players -I've listed them before on here and I'm sure most of you who missed it the other times would be shocked at my list. Note: I said Top 5 Favourite players, not necessarily the Best 5 of All Time.
    • Morey somehow managed to move the Ryan Anderson contract AND managed to get him to take a reduction on guaranteed money in the final year of his deal. Unbelievable.
    • Watched the Duke tour in Canada. The 1 and 2 pick in next year's draft could realistically be Duke players and they could have 3 in the Top 10, maybe even Top 5. The games btw were a joke - absolute blowouts.
    • I was really bored and out of basketball podcasts as August is a very light month for same so against my better judgement I listened to the CJ McCollum podacast again. This time he was boasting about sitting in his house looking at the waterfall in his back garden and his usual 'thread count in my sheets" comment. The guy is a dick.
    • The fine and suspensions in the Aussie - Philippines brawl were appealed and upheld. Needless to say they were a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wonder can anyone advise.

I am going to Boston for St. Patrick's day next year. The Celtics have two games whilst I am there, the 16th and the 18th.

I've had a look on ticketmaster and it seems there are not many tickets left at all.

Have i missed the boat?

• Advertisement

Thibs signs Deng on a 1 year deal.

He must think it's 2012 and that he's still coaching Chicago. Now if only he can get Carlos Boozer to come out of retirement.....

I am going to Boston for St. Patrick's day next year. The Celtics have two games whilst I am there, the 16th and the 18th.

I've had a look on ticketmaster and it seems there are not many tickets left at all.

Have i missed the boat?

No, chances are tickets haven't gone on sale yet for March of next year....or there'll be at least some left that will be released later/closer to the game.

Failing that you'll have a chance to get some on secondary markets (Stub Heat, Seat Geek etc.).

OR

You can take your chances walking up to the stadium on the day - has always worked out for me but I've mostly been flying solo on these occasions and it's obviously easier get 1 ticket than multiple tickets beside each other.

Have i missed the boat?

Side note: that's p*ss poor scheduling on the NBA's part not to have Boston playing on March 17th. It was pretty much a staple for many, many years that Boston, NY and Chicago all played on march 17th and all wore green. Indeed some of those NY and Chicago Green kits are pretty cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Side note: that's p*ss poor scheduling on the NBA's part not to have Boston playing on March 17th. It was pretty much a staple for many, many years that Boston, NY and Chicago all played on march 17th and all wore green. Indeed some of those NY and Chicago Green kits are pretty cool..

Yeah I have this one in my collection

FF_885280ALT1_full.jpg&w=900

Very interesting (if a bit nerdy) Lowe Post podcast today with Ian Thomsen on his novel The Soul Of Basketball. In it Thomsen discusses Pat Riley and how he almost got fired from the Lakers in the 80s after losing to Boston in the 1984 Finals but the thing that stood out for me the most was Riley blaming Klay Thompson for the 2016 Finals loss for not "shouldering" LeBron (I assume subtly but just enough to change his stride pattern and slow him down) in the backcourt and putting him off stride and therefore out of position to make that block on Iguadola. It shows Riley's mindset, how cynical he is (arguably in a good way here from an outcome perspective) and how prepared he is to do whatever it takes to win. That kinda play would never be called and could have changed history. It's such a fascinating insight that such an innocuous and off the ball obstruction.

Doc Rivers comes out very well in it too apparently. The book is really about the 2011-12 season and the impact it had on the league thereafter. Might pick it up.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1042469878949707776

Jimmy Butler finally requests a trade out of Minnesota, gives Thibs a list of 1-3 teams he'd sign an extension with.

So Woj says the three teams are The Knicks, Nets, and Clippers. Not exactly what I was expecting.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1042469878949707776

Jimmy Butler finally requests a trade out of Minnesota, gives Thibs a list of 1-3 teams he'd sign an extension with.

Whats Thibs mean to do now after spending all summer collecting the 2012 Bulls?

Whats Thibs mean to do now after spending all summer collecting the 2012 Bulls?

Trade with the Knicks for Noah I guess.

• Advertisement

Trade with the Knicks for Noah I guess.

No-ones trading for that ludicrous contract.

Anyway, Noah is being bought out by the Knicks apparently (Dolan is some man to squander money). Presumably he signs with MIN then...

DmwNHV1XsAI-to5.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement