Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician not uploading details to revenue so I can claim vat back

Options
  • 17-10-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I had a house rewiring job completed almost two years ago paying 800.00 euro in vat. Despite contacting electrician asking him to upload details to revenue, he has not done so, to date.
    Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

How do you know the electrician didn't make a VAT payment in relation to your job? HAs he told you as much?
    I pay VAT but revenue just see a payment coming through as a total for a period. There is no breakdown for a specific job. At least in my industry anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Presume they are talking about the home renovation inititive https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/home-renovation-incentive/hri-for-contractors/index.aspx

The contractor is supposed to register the payments received online and then the homeowner can claim the tax back against their income tax.

I did it for a kitchen and the kitchen company uploaded all the details and when I logged in it was available for me to claim back.

OP are you sure they are a qualifying contractor? From the website

To qualify as a contractor for HRI, you must be registered for Value Added Tax (VAT) and Relevant Contracts Tax (RCT). You must also be registered for Revenue’s Online Service (ROS) and be tax compliant.

VAT
    If you are not registered for VAT, as your turnover is below the VAT registration limit, you will still need to register.

RCT
    If you are a principal contractor, you must be tax compliant. If you are a subcontractor, you must have a zero or 20% RCT rate.

If you are registered for RCT and have a 35% RCT rate, you will not qualify as a HRI contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

I have a receipt for the work carried out plus a Completion Certification. I was told by him at the time I could claim the vat back. I also assumed he was registered for vat. The job carried out was fine, no problems there.
    Patience wearing thin at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

If you look at the links above the contractor has to register you online before you can claim back anything.

Homeowners and landlords
    To qualify for the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Tax Credit, the contractor carrying out the work must be registered for Value Added Tax (VAT) and be tax compliant. You can check that your contractor qualifies by making sure they enter the details of the work through HRI online. If the contractor does not qualify for HRI, they will not be able to enter the details through HRI online.

Before any work begins, you should:

tell the contractor that you will be applying for the HRI Tax Credit
    ask the contractor to confirm that the they are a qualifying contractor under the scheme
    ask the contractor to enter the details of the work through HRI online
    give your contractor details of your Property ID (your Property ID is included on your Local Property Tax (LPT) letters from Revenue)
    tell the contractor if it is a rental property.
    The contractor must then enter the details of the work through HRI online. It is up to you to confirm that the contractor has done this before the work begins. They must also enter payment details as you make them. You will be unable to claim the HRI Tax Credit if the contractor does not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

To claim under HRI the total cost of work has to be over €5000 incl VAT.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/home_renovation_incentive.html#l62fd2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement