Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future proof new system

• 17-10-2017 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm currently getting quotes from to replace our aging gas boiler and cylinder. House is currently not zoned so job includes:

* new cylinder
    * new gas boiler
    * valves to divide the house into 3 zones - upstairs, downstairs and hot water
    * full power flush
    * all rads around house to be fitted with thermostatic valves

I'm happy that the plumbers quoting know what they're doing re the mechanics but all seem pretty vague about the types of panels and the wiring issue. None are interested in directly installing a Hive type of controller. So be it - but I would like to leave it then set up as efficiently as possible so I can do a Hive installation through bord gais or the like.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for here to make the system as future proof/maximise compatability with 'smart' systems?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Use the SEAI Better Homes Scheme - it specifies the min standard and they should have a list of plumbers you can tender to.
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/better-energy-homes/heating-upgrade-grants/

You can simplify the controls element of the job if you went for a combi boiler (instantaneous hot water) compared to a cylinder. Any reason to maintain cylinder e.g. future aspirations of solar, or don't want to install a pump?

About simplifying / making life easy, suggest pulling 4 core cable from boiler position / automated vale position to the remote thermostats, to enable easier supply of both power and signal to / from the thermostat to boiler.

Advertisement