Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ram and where to get

Options
  • 17-10-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

I have a ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z board that has 8gb of fairly standard ddr3 i think and want to upgrade it to decent 16gb.

Can any recommend what and where to get?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I use crucial. Extremely reliable.
    http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/maximus-iv-gene-z
    This will tell you your options, then you could either buy or use the required specs to buy elsewhere.

Memoryc.ie are very good and offer free next day delivery to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gizoter

Thanks for the info tedpan, much appreciated

Anyone suggest a way of finding out what ram is in [the 8gb] and if its worth addding to or just replace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cpuz will get you the exact spec of the ram

Gizoter wrote:
    Thanks for the info tedpan, much appreciated

No worries!
    Gizoter wrote:
    Anyone suggest a way of finding out what ram is in [the 8gb] and if its worth addding to or just replace

You could add a pair to the existing ram, if it's 2x4GB at the moment.

The system will only be as fast as its slowest component, if I were you I'd have a look at the RAM you have installed and buy another pair of that unless you want to replace it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gizoter wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z board that has 8gb of fairly standard ddr3 i think and want to upgrade it to decent 16gb.

Can any recommend what and where to get?

Many thanks
    By standard do you mean DDR3-1600?
    Are you actually being bottlenecked?
    https://techbuyersguru.com/does-ram-speed-matter-ddr3-1600-vs-1866-2133-and-2400-games?page=2
    Would you not be better served by a fast SSD? (you would)

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Would you not be better served by a fast SSD? (you would)

I'd definitely recommend a decent SSD if you don't have one already. I've been using Samsung evos for years.

Thansks for that CPUZ tells me its Dual channel 668.7mhz

I bought the desktop to get back into a bit of gaming, its an i7 2600k and i have a GTX 970 in it. I just assumed the ram would be bog standard and could do with an upgrade at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh you are wasting your money buying more RAM. 8GB's is plenty especially with the price of RAM these days and then also it is an older system. You would see far greater benefits with a SSD as K.O.Kiki said above.

Gizoter wrote:
    I bought the desktop to get back into a bit of gaming, its an i7 2600k and i have a GTX 970 in it. I just assumed the ram would be bog standard and could do with an upgrade at some stage.

Gizoter wrote:
    Thansks for that CPUZ tells me its Dual channel 668.7mhz

That RAM speed is on the low side. If you look at the basic RAM on crucial, it starts at 1600mhz and goes up from there.

• Advertisement

Maybe have a read here. Looks like you have 1333mhz chips but might not be set correctly in the BIOS.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283686-30-shows-frequency-ddr3-1600-increase-speed

tedpan wrote: »
    That RAM speed is on the low side. If you look at the basic RAM on crucial, it starts at 1600mhz and goes up from there.

If he goes into bios he can overclock the RAM. He is running at 1333MHz at the minute which is what most RAM at the timne ran at and you had to go into bios and select XMP to do it automatically or you can do it manually to really fine tune.

Can i get any type of SSD?

Can operating system etc be transferred over or is a restart fresh needed?

Thanks and sry for all the questions

Gizoter wrote: »
    Can i get any type of SSD?

Thanks and sry for all the questions

Yes any would do. Except don't buy a M2 SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I recommend Crucial MX300 275Gb (or larger).

Gizoter wrote:

It can although it's better to have a fresh start.

tedpan wrote: »
    It can although it's better to have a fresh start.

I'd 100% agree with this. A clean slate is always best. Some people do a fresh install every couple of months. I'm not that bad. But I do a clean install on my phone every couple of months though as it helps the phone run better.

Advertisement