Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old struggles in group situation

Options
  • 17-10-2017 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi All,

My 5 year old girl is really struggling socially when she is in a group of children around her own age.

If she is playing one on one with a friend she is absolutely fine but she just cannot seem to cope when there is a few of them playing together. Each time there is a group the situation always plays out the same - first she will be ok tagging along with them, she will be in the thick of the action. Then quickly she will fade away from the group to a point where she plays by herself and finally gets very upset and makes a scene.

Otherwise she is fine, she is doing very well in school, doesn't ever complain about having to go to school and at home she is great with the rest of the family.

Has anyone else experienced this with their kids and if so what did you do about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

When you say she makes a scene, is it anger or tiredness or upset?
    I am not sure if it's the same but my three year old is a bit similar....she piles in to the group sitation but within 40mins or so it will becone too much for her.I was actually watching her at something a few weeks ago and she sat on a bench after about an hour and had a (what looked like!) "I'm very sad" moment.I was going to go out to her but actually another child sat down and chatted with her for a bit and she was ok.
    When she was smaller she would just go a bit crazy after about that forty mins in those situations.So I spent ages telling her if she was tired or whatever to say 'i need a break' and to come to me.Obviously she was small and I was trying to give her words and strategies rather than just lashing our around her, but you could try that with your child....tell her if she feels tired or sad in the group to say she needs a little break.She is bigger and will have better understanding.
    To be honest I totally get it myself.I don't enjoy group situations too much, I find them completely exhausting.Obviously as an adult I can cope and am more aware of what it is, but if we are in a group of strangers or anything, I find it tough going after a while.It's just how I am.I hated birthday parties etc when I was younger.So I totally understand why kids find it hard going, especially if it's a group they don't know all that well.

Advertisement