Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Return

Options
  • 17-10-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I am now into my third week of waiting for my deposit to be returned after leaving a rented property.(maybe not the worst but slightly frustrating)

My accommodation was managed by an agency and the landlord is effectively a receiver of assets.

It states in some correspondence from the agency that the deposit will be returned in 7-10 days of vacating the property.

I contacted the agency at the end of last week and they told me that they would follow up and revert. (sounds a bit fob offy)

Is there any means or ways that could be persued in order to:

1. Expidite the process
    2. Gain more clarity, surely the premises should have been reviewed by now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Your original landlord is the person who owes you the deposit, not the receiver or the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

myshirt wrote: »
    Your original landlord is the person who owes you the deposit, not the receiver or the estate agent.

Yes they are unfortunately a middleman, and would be the ones carrying out a review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Had this issue with a landlord before. There was no reason for them to be withholding my deposit. Told them that if I didn't receive my deposit back in the next couple of days that I was lodging a complaint with the PRTB. They acted very quickly after that.

andreoilin wrote: »
    Had this issue with a landlord before. There was no reason for them to be withholding my deposit. Told them that if I didn't receive my deposit back in the next couple of days that I was lodging a complaint with the PRTB. They acted very quickly after that.

Was there any time frame you did this in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Do i understand it correctly that the property is handled by a receiver?

• Advertisement

Yes handled by a receiver but all property services and management provided by an agency

Yes handled by a receiver but all property services and management provided by an agency
    I wouldn't wait any longer. if the property is in receivership all assets of the LL/owner will go to the receiver who will determine which entity is a preferential creditor with Tax,bank and employees in that order. 
    You're deposit might just be seen as an asset that has been forfeited when the LL/owner went into receivership. get on to the RTB asap.

I wouldn't wait any longer. if the property is in receivership all assets of the LL/owner will go to the receiver who will determine which entity is a preferential creditor with Tax,bank and employees in that order. 
    You're deposit might just be seen as an asset that has been forfeited when the LL/owner went into receivership. get on to the RTB asap.

The property was already in receivership when we started renting of that clarifies things I.e. A deposit was paid to the receiver on the asset. Prior Owner had nothing to do with me.

The property was already in receivership when we started renting of that clarifies things I.e. A deposit was paid to the receiver on the asset. Prior Owner had nothing to do with me.
    thats a totally different scenario. Than I would just increase pressure.receivers are administrators and not the fastest to respond in the best case...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tell them that they have to close of business on x day to tell you that it has been paid (and you expect it in your account by xxx) otherwise you are lodging a complain with RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Was there any time frame you did this in?

It was about 3/4 weeks after I had moved out. They had been making excuses up to that point.

Advertisement