Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suing in Ireland

• 17-10-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭

For years if you got bit by a dog, tripped over some slippery substance on the road or injured yourself while trying to break into someone's house you picked yourself up and got along with your life.

Nowadays people feel forced to take out all sorts of 3rd party liability insurances to prevent bankruptcy and certain doom in the event that some stupid random stranger manages to pin the blame for some mishap in their life on them. When did this become a thing in Ireland? What laws are behind creating the perverse situation we find ourselves in today and who were the brown envelope receiving politicians responsible for pushing them through?

Feck it. Even just talking about someone is enough to get you sued now. I can see it getting to the point where proximity alone is enough justification to sue someone. Maybe there will be some European framework brought in that lets me bring the nearest adult with a bit of money to court and the judge will be asking him "why didn't you drop everything you were doing and stop this tragedy from happening"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Feck it. Even just talking about someone is enough to get you sued now.

Did you see some of the responses in that thread before they were (presumably) deleted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People have become weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

weak and pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Did you see some of the responses in that thread before they were (presumably) deleted?

No just in it's current form. It's the concept of suing over a thread or some other minor unpleasant happening in one's life that interests me rather than the contents of a particular thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

People should clean up after themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As long as you lack a moral compass and are happy to fook over the rest of society, it's easy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Attitudes have changed I guess. If you have an accident (no matter how small) people will sue as it's the whole 'well other people are suing and getting money so why should I?'

Then the whole self-important attitude so many have. I deserve, I am important, I matter etc. So how dare it be 'my' mistake not seeing that glowing 50ft sign that said mind your step. It's not my fault... It's theirs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

It's stuff like this that bothers me.

Woman who sued after falling on broken concrete settles case

How does she walk? Just throw her feet in a random direction and have her body follow?

What would be really interesting is to gather the data on the types of people whom make these stupid claims and the judges who award payment for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

This is our future

Advertisement