Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms misleading new members

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

However, the name of the hotel is above the door. If they have half a business brain, they won't want their name flying round social media or Joe Duffy or whatever associated with these schemes, as the money coming in will dry up very, very soon.

So people will cancel their weddings and the granny's 80th birthday party because a gym operating out of the hotel premises went bust? Don't think so.

People on boards have an inflated view of the power of Facebook and Twitter to damage a business. Nobody will see that crap except the 'friends' and followers of the people who post. Yes, a few people will 'like' and retweet but it's not going to cause lasting damage. And Joe Duffy's lawyers will put a stop to any scurrilous attempt to associate the hotel with sharp financial practices by a tenant operating out of the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

coylemj wrote: »
    So people will cancel their weddings and the granny's 80th birthday party because a gym operating out of the hotel premises went bust? Don't think so.

People on boards have an inflated view of the power of Facebook and Twitter to damage a business. Nobody will see that crap except the 'friends' and followers of the people who post. Yes, a few people will 'like' and retweet but it's not going to cause lasting damage. And Joe Duffy's lawyers will put a stop to any scurrilous attempt to associate the hotel with sharp financial practices by a tenant operating out of the premises.

So why do you think the Happy Pear lads took down their Instagram post of them going for a swim on the morning of the storm?

So why do you think the Happy Pear lads took down their Instagram post of them going for a swim on the morning of the storm?

Who?

Who?

The Happy Pear lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Happy Pear lads.

Who?

• Advertisement

The Happy Pear lads.

I never heard of them or that story until you posted that and neither have I seen any mention of them on Twitter, despite the fact that I follow most of the major Irish (RTE and press) journalists and news feeds. And none of my friends on Facebook posted a link to the story.

I really don't see the parallel with the topic in this thread, the Irish press were just waiting to name anyone caught frolicking in the water during the storm. A gym taking money via a hard sell wouldn't merit any coverage at all for the simple reason that they were doing nothing illegal.

The common psychological condition known as 'buyer's regret' is not a news story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I didnt hear of those attention seeking clowns until their publicity stunt the morning of the storm.

And I'm not sure if you're shilling for them or just dragging the thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The common psychological condition known as 'buyer's regret' is not a news story.

Buyers' regret is one thing, but there are consumer protections surounding advertising, mis-selling and cooling-off periods for certain types of transactions. This type of hard-sell could easily be a newsworthy story, particularly the involvement of 18mth contracts and complex transactions involving multiple parties for a gym membership.. first and foremost, my question to the op would be was he/she made aware of the 18 mth contract and penalties for breaking it?

I never heard of them or that story until you posted that and neither have I seen any mention of them on Twitter, despite the fact that I follow most of the major Irish (RTE and press) journalists and news feeds. And none of my friends on Facebook posted a link to the story.

I really don't see the parallel with the topic in this thread, the Irish press were just waiting to name anyone caught frolicking in the water during the storm. A gym taking money via a hard sell wouldn't merit any coverage at all for the simple reason that they were doing nothing illegal.

If 'legal' was the criteria for excluding whingers on Joe Duffy, it would be a half hour show twice a week. Legal doesn't make it right, or generally publicly acceptable.

They have 160k followers on Instagram and are frequently on RTE and TV3. They run a couple of restaurants and sell products into the major supermarkets. They don't float my boat, but they are big.

My point was that they got figuratively beaten up by their followers (not by the press) over their morning swim, and they withdrew swiftly.

The gym is much more than a 'tenant' of the hotel. They are part of the overall package. If you look on the hotel website, you will see them pushing the gym and leisure as part of their overall facilities. The hotel name is over the door.

I'm not suggesting that national press would be interested, but there is certainly leverage to be gained by involving the hotel.

• Advertisement

OP has replaced her first post with a statement that the contract has been revoked by the finance company so she's satisfied.

Means the thread won't make any sense to someone reading it after the event as the first post is now the resolution but what the hell ....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread now as the OP has resolved their issue.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement