Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing question: should feed and expansion tank be covered?

Options
  • 17-10-2017 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Should the feed and expansion tank in the attic be covered?

I can think of 2 reasons why it should be:
    • to reduce the amount of water vapour that escapes;
    • to prevent insects and other debris falling into the tank.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 VerdantValley

In case it's not clear: I am soliciting people's opinion.

It may seem like I have answered my own question; but actually, I want to know all the pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

In case it's not clear: I am soliciting people's opinion.

It may seem like I have answered my own question; but actually, I want to know all the pros and cons.

No real cons... I usually get some insulation pir board to make the lid, its foil sided for damp and will insulate the tank too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You want it covered but not airtight. If you covered it with plastic sheet and ran a bath it would suck the plastic down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I just covered two tanks we have. Used a couple of corrugated plastic election posters cut to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you cover the tanks you might need to lengthen the expansion pipe.

I've seen people drilling a 25mm hole in the plastic lid expecting the water from expansion pipe to flow into the hole. In reality the expansion pipe can move violently from the pressure.

The expansion pipe should go into the hole in the lid by a few inches but still needs to be well above the water level of the tank

• Advertisement
Advertisement