Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck for company

• 17-10-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone have any trouble getting friends or family to go with them on trips ? Ive a week to take off and Im a bit scarlet..... no one wants to join me ! I know I could go alone but just this time round I wouldn't have minded the company :(:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are ya open to offers lol!

I'm sure someone would love to join you, you just have to put the call out there. Where and when ya going anyway?

If you do get someone to join you, and it could be great craic, set down the rules for contributions to the expenses of the trip.

If they turn out to be the werewolf (or the female version...) you can always drive off.

Ahem, I would love to go on a road trip, but I am afraid to drive such a big yoke, and my OH is not keen either. So there's your first offer ha ha.

Facebook? I think you would have to interview them face to face though... but that could be fun too.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭sootie

god i cant believe its come to this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sootie wrote: »
    god i cant believe its come to this !

Are you talkin to me.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Choose me! choose me! choose me!

*Ex tour bus driver of Yngwie Malmsteen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭sootie

ah ye are just the best ! nah, I was just lamenting my actual family and friends ! all talk so they are ! dont get me started on the friends with babies.......billy got a tooth the other day...I got a flat tyre... cant wait for their famalies to grow up so they can retire and keep me company again ....Im only 38!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

ah ye are just the best ! nah, I was just lamenting my actual family and friends ! all talk so they are ! dont get me started on the friends with babies.......billy got a tooth the other day...I got a flat tyre... cant wait for their famalies to grow up so they can retire and keep me company again ....Im only 38!

Photos of campsite with a good kitchen, common room, hot showers and clean toilets goes a long way to persuading the land lubbers. Also a week is a long time so maybe start with a night / weekend away, someone is bound to get the bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hells bells 1

I'm the same, its got to the stage where I'm considering selling my camper, rather than pay for the storage and get no use out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My camper van gives sterling service in the winter for Christmas and New Year invitations: just drive up to wherever the festivities are being held, park in yard or driveway, (or whatever: ask the hosts, naturally)
    Then I can have a drink or two, even three! and retire for the night in the comfort and privacy of my own little place, no need to drive.
    Tomorrow can have breakfast, farewell coffee with hosts and make our way home at leisure, no nonsense about taxis or any of that.
    Just prime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Anyone have any trouble getting friends or family to go with them on trips ? Ive a week to take off and Im a bit scarlet..... no one wants to join me ! I know I could go alone but just this time round I wouldn't have minded the company :(:rolleyes:

Where to? I'd offer to tag along, but I'm already travelling solo. You could always post details of your itinerary on a car-sharing website and see if you've got any takers.

I used to get great use out of BlaBlaCar when it let me look at what routes passengers needed lifts on - a 100km detour was no bother to me - but then it was bought out and "enhanced" and now drivers have to just post and hope for the best.

These days, what works best is picking up hitchhikers (mostly Germans, for some reasons) or people looking for a lift home/onwards from a festival. In both cases, you have to make a bit of effort as a lot of people (hitch-hikers especially) assume you won't want to share your journey with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Anyone have any trouble getting friends or family to go with them on trips ? .... :

Heck no, my problem is trying to slip away before anyone realizes I'm going LOL Generally speaking they dont know I'm gone until they phone me and it's the ring tone gives it away, when I answer they dont say ''hello'', they say...''what country are you in now?!!''. I love getting away and driving. I could be any where in Europe from Denmark to Croatia, Romania, Greece etc and every where in between, just me and the dog...hubby and kids not allowed. Hubby is great, he dont mind, he says...''if the car is gone she'll be back in a few minutes, but if the camper is gone, chances are the dog is missing too - hell if I know where she is or when she'll be back''. My kids are well over the age of 21 yrs old now so I dont feel bad when I take off.

So I say to you...if you feel like going some where, go alone if you have too, I've learned in life if you wait for others you'll be disappointed and left waiting and end up going no where and missing out on opportunities. Life is for living...live it, take the trip, GO and have some fun, see a bit of the world :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement