Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling along canals

Options
  • 17-10-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

What is best canal to cycle on.
    Where a the best start and finish points.
    I am looking for a easy / medium level of cycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Eglinton canal

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭edireland

Thanks I'll look it up on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Newry Ship Canal
    Start : Carlingford Lough
    Finish: Newry

Newry Ship Canal
    Start : Carlingford Lough
    Finish: Newry

I'll check it put thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Royal Canal from Meath/Westmeath border to Ballymahon, Longford is a good surface for cycling. Probably nearly 60km in distance. Mullingar is very good for canal and rail trail cycling. Mullingar to Athlone rail trail is 42km in length, but you can do shorter distances obviously. Mullingar to Ballymahon along the royal canal is also 40km or so, with a few villages along the way (coolnahay, ballynacargy, abbeyshrule) to break up the cycle. Mullingar also has plenty of parking near the canal and rail trail.

• Advertisement

CapnHex wrote: »
    Royal Canal from Meath/Westmeath border to Ballymahon, Longford is a good surface for cycling. Probably nearly 60km in distance. Mullingar is very good for canal and rail trail cycling. Mullingar to Athlone rail trail is 42km in length, but you can do shorter distances obviously. Mullingar to Ballymahon along the royal canal is also 40km or so, with a few villages along the way (coolnahay, ballynacargy, abbeyshrule) to break up the cycle. Mullingar also has plenty of parking near the canal and rail trail.

Thanks I try this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I ran some of the royal canal spur out of longford town the other week - was definitely road bikable the 6 km I went out - I think it's a decent surface the whole way to clondra?

edireland wrote: »
    What is best canal to cycle on.
    Where a the best start and finish points.
    I am looking for a easy / medium level of cycling.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A Good looping route of 12km or so is the Royal Canal from Mullingar to Ballinea Bridge, and return on the old rail trail.
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/53.5137/-7.3862&layers=C

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I ran some of the royal canal spur out of longford town the other week - was definitely road bikable the 6 km I went out - I think it's a decent surface the whole way to clondra?

Cycled from Drumcondra to clondra on a Cx bike a few weeks ago, and got the train back from Longford.
    The track gets mucky after Ballymahon until before clondra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Lagan towpath all the way from Belfast city centre to Lisburn and beyond: 21 miles
    https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/lagan-and-lough-cycle-way

The Newry canal from Portadown to Newry. 20 miles
    https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/newry-canal-towpath

Advertisement