Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC To DVD To DVD Player ....?

• 17-10-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

:confused: So, I DL'd some films from the net. Transferred them to a DVD and gave it to my mate to watch on his DVD player.

" File Not Found " is what I believe his machine said.

Now, I remember my machine gave the option of creating a computer disc, or one playable on a CD player. I went for the latter. Watched said film, on here.

My mate brings the DVD back. I offload the films to my HDD and put in a fresh DVD. Then what, please?

I'm sorry. I haven't done this in a decade or more. I simply don't know what I'm doing anymore :o

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to author a DVD disk, not just transfer the file to it. This will take 10-20x longer to process. Then a bog standard DVD player will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek: Good god! That's gonna mean an all nighter for this machine, sounds of it, ED E.

Dare I ask if ye have a link to a decent 'Idiots Guide' to managing this process, please? I've never even heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Stigura wrote: »
    :eek: Good god! That's gonna mean an all nighter for this machine, sounds of it, ED E.

Dare I ask if ye have a link to a decent 'Idiots Guide' to managing this process, please? I've never even heard of it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_authoring

essentially you're going to need DVD authoring software , plenty free ones...

:eek: :eek: :eek: Jesus Wept!!! If It's anything like That sounds like? I'll just tell him to buy a bloody computer!

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

If his TV has a USB port it may be possible to watch them on USB instead.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Jesus Wept!!! If It's anything like That sounds like? I'll just tell him to buy a bloody computer!

Thanks for that.

well its really easy ,just import your file and click author to dvd (PAL), might take a bit of time to finish though

Recurve360 wrote: »
    If his TV has a USB port it may be possible to watch them on USB instead.

:confused: How's that work? I'll ring him and ask him if he has one. Bet he'll ask me what a USB is though. It'll be great fun, trying to describe one :rolleyes:
    well its really easy ,just import your file and click author to dvd (PAL), might take a bit of time to finish though

Easy? That wicked page made it sound like I had to go into business with Japan. Then sit playing with codes.

:( Look; I'm sorry, lads. Truth is, I've been nursing a wound for a couple of months now and it's got me down. Just not my usual self. Sorry.

I'll look into this software, tomorrow. I'll try to find out about usb's.

Just trying to do a mate a favour here and it's getting silly.

Really appreciate all ye help :)

:confused: How's that work? I'll ring him and ask him if he has one. Bet he'll ask me what a USB is though. It'll be great fun, trying to describe one :rolleyes:

Easy? That wicked page made it sound like I had to go into business with Japan. Then sit playing with codes.

:( Look; I'm sorry, lads. Truth is, I've been nursing a wound for a couple of months now and it's got me down. Just not my usual self. Sorry.

I'll look into this software, tomorrow. I'll try to find out about usb's.

Just trying to do a mate a favour here and it's getting silly.

Really appreciate all ye help :)

forget about the wiki page,just get the software and you're off

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a program called "DVD Santa"; it's grand for what you want.

But you'll end up buying a fair few blank DVD's. Best off, in the long run, buying an android device that hooks up to the TV, and watch them that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some DVD players will play data discs - a DVD-R with video files burned directly onto it. Others won't so you have to create an actual DVD video disc, not just a data disc.

As above, genuinely much easier to just buy an android box for €25-30 and use that to watch movies off USB then have to go creating actual DVDs (keep in mind, you're limited then to one movie per disc!)

It's so much hassle for you and would take a while if your PC is slow or old.

:) Thanks very much, everyone.

I've looked at the links and slept on it. Too many variables I can't possibly fathom for myself. I need to get my mate in here and show Him this thread ~ and the links.

We'll need to see what he thinks about these various gizmo's. He might even know if his DVD player / TV has a USB port or not.

Then, he'd know if his kids would be willing and able to help him sort stuff out. I certainly couldn't. I read fora with this thing ~ as I guess I've proven :o