Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eir and can't get through to customer service

Options
  • 17-10-2017 8:48pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi I was told that you were putting up your prices unilaterally and so I am entitled to cancel my Eir broadband. I rang up and told them that I wanted to cancel and that I was maybe moving to sky and I just got a bill by email there now. Can you please confirm that it is cancelled.

I tried to contact your customer care but they are really incovenient to contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Craicho5

Hi I was told that you were putting up your prices unilaterally and so I am entitled to cancel my Eir broadband. I rang up and told them that I wanted to cancel and that I was maybe moving to sky and I just got a bill by email there now. Can you please confirm that it is cancelled.

I tried to contact your customer care but they are really incovenient to contact.
    I've had the same issue. Got a letter stating I could do this without penalty by 29th Sept if I didn't want to accept the increase in price. So I rang to cancel on the 28th, had to ring 5 times before I got through - and then service was cut off the next day. 

I was worried I'd be billed for October so asked them on the phone - I was told by a customer care representative that she "didn't know if I'd get a bill or not, and her manager said to wait and see".... What kind of customer service is that?? I then used their online chat and was told I would not be charged for October as my service was cut off.

Sure enough I got  an email with a bill for October... So I cancelled my direct debit, suggesting you do the same because Eir dont seem to know what a contract is or anything about their own services.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Craicho5 wrote: »

I've had the same issue. Got a letter stating I could do this without penalty by 29th Sept if I didn't want to accept the increase in price. So I rang to cancel on the 28th, had to ring 5 times before I got through - and then service was cut off the next day. 

I was worried I'd be billed for October so asked them on the phone - I was told by a customer care representative that she "didn't know if I'd get a bill or not, and her manager said to wait and see".... What kind of customer service is that?? I then used their online chat and was told I would not be charged for October as my service was cut off.

Sure enough I got  an email with a bill for October... So I cancelled my direct debit, suggesting you do the same because Eir dont seem to know what a contract is or anything about their own services.
    Cancelling the direct debit is not enough - there is no coordinated thinking, so you will have to go through all the hoops and try get credit control / customer card by phone.  Credit control made no attempt to resolve my query, and despite trying to get a bill for months without success, my paltry balance was passed on to a debt collector. (who actually couldn't do anything when they looked at eir incomplete records). I'm still waiting for clarification that they haven't damaged by credit rating though their failings, but not holding my breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi johnnyskeleton,

Sorry to hear you've cancelled your services with us. if you PM me your account number and name I can check on your account to see if the cancellation order has gone through.

- Adam

Hi Craicho5,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. If you would like to PM me your account number and full name I can have a look at your account for you to see what this bill is for.

- Adam

Shuttle666 wrote: »

Cancelling the direct debit is not enough - there is no coordinated thinking, so you will have to go through all the hoops and try get credit control / customer card by phone.  Credit control made no attempt to resolve my query, and despite trying to get a bill for months without success, my paltry balance was passed on to a debt collector. (who actually couldn't do anything when they looked at eir incomplete records). I'm still waiting for clarification that they haven't damaged by credit rating though their failings, but not holding my breath!
    Hi Shuttle666,

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been having with your account. Can you send me your account number and full name in a PM please?

- Adam

• Advertisement

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Shuttle666 wrote: »

Hi Shuttle666,

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been having with your account. Can you send me your account number and full name in a PM please?

- Adam
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wiggy183

Just had a very poor experience with customer care. They just told me that if I cancelled with them, I would lose my landline and mobile numbers and not be able to use them on other networks. They have also told me that I will be cut off tomorrow, what the hell happened to 30 days notice, that I was giving them? I guess it doesn't work the other way. I was probably going to stay, however, I am not now. Awful customer care, and Maggie didn't seem too bothered either. Threats and bullying tactics to get you to stay, how is that to run a business? They also read out their conditions regarding returning their equipment, telling me that if I didn't pay up on time it could mean that I couldn't be an Eir customer in the future, how funny is that.

wiggy183 wrote: »

Just had a very poor experience with customer care. They just told me that if I cancelled with them, I would lose my landline and mobile numbers and not be able to use them on other networks. They have also told me that I will be cut off tomorrow, what the hell happened to 30 days notice, that I was giving them? I guess it doesn't work the other way. I was probably going to stay, however, I am not now. Awful customer care, and Maggie didn't seem too bothered either. Threats and bullying tactics to get you to stay, how is that to run a business? They also read out their conditions regarding returning their equipment, telling me that if I didn't pay up on time it could mean that I couldn't be an Eir customer in the future, how funny is that.
    Welcome to the forced loyalty world of eir ...........the sad part is that ComReg allow it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't ring them and cancel just get your new provider to do it. I switched to vodafone this week after getting the letter about the price increase and didn't have so much as a minute without internet. If it's sky you're switching to they will handle the entire thing you don't need to contact eir at all. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I gather you have to explicitly tell them you dont accept the price rise and if you just attempt to switch via another provider they'll charge you early termination fees. I'm in the same boat and have until the 11 Nov to them them to shove their price rise, but dont want to be disconnected the next day, I stupidly assumed you'd at least have 30 days service to then switch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Just a warning folks.  I cancelled at last price increase - August 2016.  Took a while but got a refund eventually.  A month after my refund cheque was received I got letters from Debt collectors.  Got that sorted and then August this year I started receiving bills again.  So even when you think they're gone they have a way of coming back to cause stress in your life.  Joke of a company.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BigMoose wrote: »
    I gather you have to explicitly tell them you dont accept the price rise and if you just attempt to switch via another provider they'll charge you early termination fees. I'm in the same boat and have until the 11 Nov to them them to shove their price rise, but dont want to be disconnected the next day, I stupidly assumed you'd at least have 30 days service to then switch!

I was worried about that sort of thing so I cancelled my direct debit straight away. I'll contact them if my final bill is way over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Hmm, wouldn't be confident that wont stop them coming looking for the early termination fees if you don't notify them by the method they state you have to... 

Anyone know how long it takes Sky to get you setup? If I call Eir and Sky on the same day, how many days without service am I likely to be?

BigMoose wrote: »
    Hmm, wouldn't be confident that wont stop them coming looking for the early termination fees if you don't notify them by the method they state you have to... 

Anyone know how long it takes Sky to get you setup? If I call Eir and Sky on the same day, how many days without service am I likely to be?
    Yes one of the reps PM'd me just now to let me know my final bill will likely include a penalty for the remainder of my contract because I didn't ring. So ignore my previous advice OP. :(

Is this the same company that got up and presumably under oath testified that their complaints were down at the moment.  Wishful thinking or coming from an abjectly bad base?

https://www.eir.ie/credit-insights/
    Address for the Data Proctection Officer may be useful to some following this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Craicho5

Hi Craicho5,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. If you would like to PM me your account number and full name I can have a look at your account for you to see what this bill is for.

- Adam
    PM sent

Hi Craicho5,

- Adam
    PM sent
    Thanks for that, I've responded to your PM.

- Adam

Advertisement