Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual & unused airports

Options
  • 17-10-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Came across this article today about a new airport opening in St Helena's. never heard of it? Neither had i:o Google maps shows me (if you zoom in far enough!) that it's in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean.

Apparently the location of the airport is so bad due to winds that large planes are not allowed to land and the plane that does fly there (doesn't say what it is), is only allowed to carry 68 passengers. And to top it all off, pilots have to avoid part of the runway most exposed to dangerous winds...not sure how they manage that :eek:

I don't know if the airport is useless though...I'm sure the 4000 or so residents will be glad they won't have to endure a 5 day long boat trip to reach their nearest largest landmass (?Africa) anymore.

http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-most-useless-airport-st-helena-to-welcome-first-scheduled-flight-service-gz1vlk

Edit: Wikipedia gives some more info...
    South African carrier SA Airlink started selling tickets 12 October 2017. They will be using an Embraer E190 for its weekly service between Johannesburg and Saint Helena, which will have a refuelling stopover in Windhoek, Namibia. To comply with operational restrictions, SA Airlink will carry 76 or fewer passengers, instead of the usual 99. The airport is situated such that at times serious wind shear makes it difficult or even impossible to land from the north. It is safe to land from the other direction, but it is plagued by tailwinds, that decreases lift during landing, and thus imposes a weight restriction, which translates to fewer passengers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I was reading a travel blog recently about St. Helena, where the traveller described giving up their place on the departing ship to make room for a critically ill person who was being medevac'd to SA, and who subsequently died on the 5 day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

civdef wrote: »
    I was reading a travel blog recently about St. Helena, where the traveller described giving up their place on the departing ship to make room for a critically ill person who was being medevac'd to SA, and who subsequently died on the 5 day trip.

Do you have a link to the blog? I'd like to have a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Manchester must be in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I remember being in Carcassonne about 8 years ago and on the day of departure we got a taxi to the airport only to find they had closed for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

What about Ciudad Real near Madrid.

Cost over a billion to build, and closed after three years of operation in 2012. Still closed as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Well pot kettle black and all that...

WAT NOC SXL GWY CFN KIR LDY BHD ?

Slippers on , pint poured and day off tomorrow ! Go on lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

mel.b wrote: »
    Came across this article today about a new airport opening in St Helena's. never heard of it? Neither had i.........

Napoleon, exile - told about this in secondary school. Not you ?

If you like St Helena then you will love Tristan da Cunha, south of St H. and still safely ariport free :)

http://www.tristandc.com/about.php

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Beauvais has to be the most drab, dire, difficult to access kip I've been to, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Manchester must be in with a shout.

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why's that?

a long ass trek to some of the gates which have little in way of amenities is one reason i can think of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Strumms wrote: »
    Beauvais has to be the most drab, dire, difficult to access kip I've been to, ever.

It used to be worse :) The last time I went through (many MANY moons ago), the gates were mostly a wedding tent (!)...and yes, the floor was plywood.

As nasty as Beauvais my be, it's still pretty useful (as a nasty low-fare long-commute alternative to the main Paris airports).

Up here in Norway, the government created many small regional airports back in the 70's and 80's across the Arctic regions, many of whom have similar demands / challenges as St. Helena.

One such useless example, Vaeroy, was placed on a sparsely populated island on the the end of the Lofotens. It turns out that the location was too dangerous for regular plane operations, resulting in countless cancellations and unfortunatly one fatal crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A6r%C3%B8y_Airport

The airport was closed for good shortly after the crash.
    It has been replaced by a heleport that's closer to the main town, and the airport itself is now a private residence / chocolate factory.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Rawr wrote: »
    It used to be worse :) The last time I went through (many MANY moons ago), the gates were mostly a wedding tent (!)...and yes, the floor was plywood.

As nasty as Beauvais my be, it's still pretty useful (as a nasty low-fare long-commute alternative to the main Paris airports).

Up here in Norway, the government created many small regional airports back in the 70's and 80's across the Arctic regions, many of whom have similar demands / challenges as St. Helena.

One such useless example, Vaeroy, was placed on a sparsely populated island on the the end of the Lofotens. It turns out that the location was too dangerous for regular plane operations, resulting in countless cancellations and unfortunatly one fatal crash.

It has been replaced by a heleport that's closer to the main town, and the airport itself is now a private residence / chocolate factory.

Good read, highlight has to be;

“The old airport was in 2000 bought by a private individual who has converted the terminal building into a private dwelling and uses the control tower for a small-scale chocolate factory.”

Good read, highlight has to be;

“The old airport was in 2000 bought by a private individual who has converted the terminal building into a private dwelling and uses the control tower for a small-scale chocolate factory.”

My favorite part of the story too ;)
    Now I'm wondering what Control Tower chocolate tastes like :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Video of the inaugural flight coming into land. I believe air fares are about €800!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

plodder wrote: »

Cost over a billion to build, and closed after three years of operation in 2012. Still closed as far as I know.

That's crazy!

MillField wrote: »
    That's crazy!

It was featured on a top gear episode, been on my bucket list ever since.

Spain regional governments seemed to have a blank check in the boom and built a large amount of white elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Carlisle airport, never really 'took off'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

faceman wrote: »
    Video of the inaugural flight coming into land. I believe air fares are about €800!

That’s a different flight that was operated by Comair.

That was a test flight some time back.

The scheduled commercial flights that started last weekend are being operated by Airlink using an Embraer 190 as I posted here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057588662&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    That’s a different flight that was operated by Comair.

That was a test flight some time back.

The scheduled commercial flights that started last weekend are being operated by Airlink using an Embraer 190 as I posted here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057588662&page=2

I think you are giving yourself a little too much credit!

It’s poster Josip that deserves the credit not you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thread title changed to deflect from the OPs opinion and show the current discussion.

I think you are giving yourself a little too much credit!

It’s poster Josip that deserves the credit not you

Ok - apologies that should have been as Josip posted and I discussed further on that thread with a post-flight report.

I’m not trying to take credit for anything - just pointing out that the video above is from ages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That is crazy :eek: Really does seem as though it was built just so they could rake in millions from the contracts.
    Napoleon, exile - told about this in secondary school. Not you ?

If you like St Helena then you will love Tristan da Cunha, south of St H. and still safely ariport free :)

http://www.tristandc.com/about.php

Nope, never learnt about Napoleon in school :( Good place to go into exile though!

I'm actually going to the Lofoten Islands in March. Flying out of Lekenes but I'm going to make sure I find that chocolate shop now!
    Tenger wrote: »
    Thread title changed to deflect from the OPs opinion and show the current discussion.

Thanks :) Wasn't really my opinion, rather it was the title of the newspaper article, but the discussion is interesting. Seems crazy that airports can be built without taking things like weather conditions and the opinions of the airlines (as in the case of the Lofoten Islands airport) into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Does Brandenburg count?!

john boye wrote: »
    Does Brandenburg count?!

I would say so.

Truly mind-bogging design decisions regarding the fire safety systems made the building unsafe to certify. If they had just made a traditional terminal building, with industry standard fire suppression systems, they've opened the new BER yeeeeears ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

It was featured on a top gear episode, been on my bucket list ever since.

Spain regional governments seemed to have a blank check in the boom and built a large amount of white elephants.

Yeah, I remember this from the Top Gear episode!

I also flew into Rygge Airport in Norway a few times while visiting family in Sweden. It basically shut down last year to civilian traffic when Ryanair pulled out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss_Airport,_Rygge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

mel.b wrote: »
    Came across this article today about a new airport opening in St Helena's. never heard of it? Neither had i:o Google maps shows me (if you zoom in far enough!) that it's in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean. ....
    Did you miss the thread on page 1 of the forum?
    First Arrival to St.Helena waves it wings to the Saints

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I would say so.

Truly mind-bogging design decisions regarding the fire safety systems made the building unsafe to certify. If they had just made a traditional terminal building, with industry standard fire suppression systems, they've opened the new BER yeeeeears ago.
    I'll never forget the first time arriving there with FR and taxi-ing past those lovely (empty) terminals to arrive at the shack that is Schönefeld. I was just reading there also when/if the new airport does open, the low cost carriers will continue to use the Schönefeld terminal at least until 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was going to go on an Air Berlin 'last day' flight for the day TXL/SXF would close and BER would open. Little did I think AB would be gone before they could ever reschedule that!

Advertisement