Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think you know Dublin?

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Might think again after this :D
    http://bzfd.it/2yopuR3

What did you get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

6/10, must try harder

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

7/10 - should have got the one about the county street names correct, too lazy to count them up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

8/10

Not bad for a blow-in

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

9/10

the one i got wrong i reduced to two possible answers but guessed the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

10/10 - us blow-ins know better. :)

The question about county / street names is both unthinking (not all streets have 'street' in the name) and wrong. There are two Longford Streets (Little and Great) and Longford Bridge. Clare Street and Lane and a whole bunch of Clare(nces), Clare(monts) and Clare(ndons), St Clare's Avenue. Mayo(r) Street Upper and Lower. Cork Street and Cork Hill. Kildare Street, Place and Road.

Derry Road, Derry Drive, Derry(nane) Gardens, Derry(nane) Parade, Derry(nane) Square (private) exist, but don't have "Street" in the name. And once upon a time Derry was known as County Coleraine (Coleraine Street, D7). Similarly Armagh Road and Offaly Road. Meath Square, Meath Place and Meath Market (now allotments?). Any number of roads with "Down" in the name.

Tyrone Street disappeared and Lower Tyrone Street is now Railway Street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If it's a "- Lane" or a "- Bridge" then it's not a "- Street", Victor :D and the likes of St. Clare's Avenue, Claremont Street, etc. is referring to someone/something other than the county of the same name. I think they got it spot on, aside perhaps from Little and Great Longford Street though one is a continuation of the other (I think) and arguably the same street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

7/10 where the f*'k is Little Longford St?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

7/10 where the f*'k is Little Longford St?

Between Aungier Street and Stephen Street/Golden Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

GBX wrote: »
    Between Aungier Street and Stephen Street/Golden Lane

Cheers. I know where both of those streets are. I would have failed that one on Wexford St too, despite knowing where it is. I'm hardly ever over that part of the city, although I know it very well and would never be lost. In conversation I'll often leave Aungier St and Wexford St out when referring to the whole thoroughfare.
    If I was talking to a friend for example and said I was in one of the pubs up there I'd say top of Georges St/bottom of Camden St and I'd be perfectly understood. If a tourist or whatever asked me for directions I'd include the proper address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jay D wrote: »
    Think you know Dublin?

No, not really.
    What did you get?

I was right!! 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

8/10 and I live a country mile from the Meath border

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Victor wrote: »
    10/10 - us blow-ins know better. :)

The question about county / street names is both unthinking (not all streets have 'street' in the name) and wrong. There are two Longford Streets (Little and Great) and Longford Bridge. Clare Street and Lane and a whole bunch of Clare(nces), Clare(monts) and Clare(ndons), St Clare's Avenue. Mayo(r) Street Upper and Lower. Cork Street and Cork Hill. Kildare Street, Place and Road.

Derry Road, Derry Drive, Derry(nane) Gardens, Derry(nane) Parade, Derry(nane) Square (private) exist, but don't have "Street" in the name. And once upon a time Derry was known as County Coleraine (Coleraine Street, D7). Similarly Armagh Road and Offaly Road. Meath Square, Meath Place and Meath Market (now allotments?). Any number of roads with "Down" in the name.

Tyrone Street disappeared and Lower Tyrone Street is now Railway Street.

Ah Victor, in fairness it does say STREETS in big black caps! :D

8/10 not bad for a lazy bum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

7/10 - disappointed. Should have done better.

Advertisement