Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a lot of dodgy calls to my mobile & landline today.

• 17-10-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

I've had eight or nine suspicious calls today, to both landline and mobile. I googled the numbers and they seem to originate in Liberia and Chad.

00 235 90 97 29 90 is one I've had a few times already today. Just one or two rings and they hang up.

Anyone else had them today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes. They're preying on Ireland right now.

I've two phones and one call Monday and one today on the other. The calls are from Liberia generally.

I happened to answer the one Monday "please hold to be connected to the finance director" voice recording so obviously I hung up.

NEVER ring back that number. Who knows how much that will cost.

Let's assume they're using an auto dialler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Yep, same here. One from Liberia and one from Chad, but at first glance one of them could've been a Cork number, +21 vs 021. Needless to say I didn't ring back, didn't answer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭amber2

Yea had a couple of calls from *+235 90 97 29 90‬ And *+231 3304 12642‬ no’s Liberia & Chad, they ring once and hang up. As I don’t know anyone in Liberia or Chad I’m guessing it’s a scam. Husband had them call also a few times, they have been busy today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Got one from Morocco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

2 from Chad and sister had 2 too. Pity I can't block incoming calls by country code.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah same here, numbers and countries look the same. I'm with Vodafone, who are you guys with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm with Three.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'm with Meteor/Eir but it's an 087 number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I got one from Liberia and one from Chad. I answered the one from Chad and there was music playing. I just hung up.
    I'm with Vodafone.
    edit: I'm not in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm with tesco had same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Limerick too. Had Liberia, Chad and Maldives.

Obv didn’t answer any but it’s v annoying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

PetKing wrote: »
    2 from Chad and sister had 2 too. Pity I can't block incoming calls by country code.

That would be ideal, cause unblocked a chad one yday and then an hour later another call one digit up. At least if you could block by country code it would stop them all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Myself and my wife were talking about this today. As we were speaking, one of them rang us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yes got one yesterday. Didn't answer. Chad number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One from Liberia this morning.

The code is +231.

I don't know what the scam is - you call them back and it's a premium number or something like that? I've heard of those before, but it would surely work better if it was Ireland based...people are more likely to just call back an Irish number than one that is obviously international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I started getting them in early September. About one a week. Have never answered them (and never will if I can help it). I'm on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I had two yesterday to my mobile. 00235 and 00231. I didn't answer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do not call back. If someone really wants you they will either ring again or leave a message.

I've had ones that even look like mobile numbers.

They will run up your bill or take all your credit.

The trick they use is only let dial/ring 2 or 3 times as to avoid one answering so you ring back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Got one from Morocco yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Got one from Morocco yesterday

Got another 5 minutes ago from Comoros

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Just got one from Comoros also (had to Google where that was :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrnumber.blocker

This app should act as a scam filter. It also allows you to block national dialling codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have 3 Chads and a Sudan, if anyone wants to swap for a Chad let me know so I can start to complete the set.

EDIT: I just got Austria, I think that's an ultra rare one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I get the occasionally, if it's not an Irish number, then I ignore it check where it is from, if I don't know any one there, then I block it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

GarIT wrote: »
    I have 3 Chads and a Sudan, if anyone wants to swap for a Chad let me know so I can start to complete the set.

EDIT: I just got Austria, I think that's an ultra rare one.

I got Austria earlier also. Around 11 o'clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I got Austria earlier also. Around 11 o'clock

11:11 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,111 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Received one from Liberia yesterday afternoon myself. Thought it might be a cannibal warlord asking if I wanted to hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pro2ac

I received 1 call myself about a week ago. They put the phone down after a ring or two and I presume expected me to ring back. Luckily, I asked my husband to google the number first. I am inherently a rather suspicious character luckily.

I really hope no ones elderly family members get caught in this trap though.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Got two during lunch. Phone in silence at work, so missed them. Gutted!

Advertisement