Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a lot of dodgy calls to my mobile & landline today.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pro2ac wrote: »
    I received 1 call myself about a week ago. They put the phone down after a ring or two and I presume expected me to ring back. Luckily, I asked my husband to google the number first. I am inherently a rather suspicious character luckily.

I really hope no ones elderly family members get caught in this trap though.

:(

Unfortunately the poor, the elderly and the vulnerable are most at risk.
    The phone companies will clean out their credit even though they know the numbers are run by fraudsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Got one from Comoros this morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Had a few last week, one from Chad and the other was erintrea after a quick Google, didn't answer either

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

I have gotten a few of these, as have my kids on their phones, all on Vodafone. But from the start I have told them never to answer the phone if its not someone in their contact list. Heres a link describing a scam which is likely the same one. I have a feeling it was becuase we where using trusted contacts app from Google becuase it started shortly after I set them up and it seems the app made all our mobile phone numbers public on our profiles by default, when I had previously set our accounts private. I have since removed our numbers from our Google accounts. Also the one mobile that wasnet used with Google has had no calls at all. But it also could be just random dialing.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2014/02/one-ring-cell-phone-scam-can-ding-your-wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭The Mulk

ForestFire wrote: »
    Got one from Comoros this morning too.

Got one from Comoros too, weather seems nice there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The Mulk wrote: »
    Got one from Comoros too, weather seems nice there at the moment.

Ditto.
    +269 900 2051 from Comoros at 13h53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Ditto.
    +269 900 2051 from Comoros at 13h53

Same number as me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've never gotten one of these calls. After reading this thread I'm starting to feel left out......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

The Mulk wrote: »
    Same number as me

+1 at 14.40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've never gotten one of these calls. After reading this thread I'm starting to feel left out......

Send me your number and I'll get my cousin in Somalia to give you a quick call. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll give you a call but you must answer and give me all your bank account details.

Reminds me of homers happy dude scam send a solar to happy dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Kankan14 wrote: »
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrnumber.blocker

This app should act as a scam filter. It also allows you to block national dialling codes.

+1 on this, great little app for this kind of thing.

Yeah just gopt another call there again.

Are they trying to somehow take advance of the recent storm??

People might be expecting calls from Friends, Insurance companies etc that they would not generally know the number from??

Now Another from Austria:-

+43820 90904700
    Previous
    +2699002185 twice

FFS like! Doesn't anyone want the 80 million dollars or what? Tsk!:rolleyes:

(sarcasm alert!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Where could they have gotten the number from? I don't put my number up on facebook etc.
    I got a couple of these calls yesterday (lasted a few seconds, too quick to answer), then just seconds later got a sales call from Virgin Media. It's probably just coincidence. I'm trying to think where else would have my number... Vodafone, Electric Ireland...
    How long have you had the number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eleventh wrote: »
    Where could they have gotten the number from?
    They're just autodiallers calling every single number indiscriminately, they don't need to "get" your number from anywhere.

Are you sad wanna be happy
    Send $1 to happy dude
    742 evergreen terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

ForestFire wrote: »
    Yeah just gopt another call there again.

Are they trying to somehow take advance of the recent storm??

People might be expecting calls from Friends, Insurance companies etc that they would not generally know the number from??

Now Another from Austria:-

+43820 90904700
    Previous
    +2699002185 twice

I got calls from the same two numbers :mad:

eleventh wrote: »
    Where could they have gotten the number from? I don't put my number up on facebook etc.
    I got a couple of these calls yesterday (lasted a few seconds, too quick to answer), then just seconds later got a sales call from Virgin Media. It's probably just coincidence. I'm trying to think where else would have my number... Vodafone, Electric Ireland...

How long have you had the number?

They got your number just like i know your number....like this...

087 1234567

Well, was I right?

Proable not, but I bet I'd get someone after a few goes.

They don't care who they get, they just ring random numbers, all automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Liberia yesterday morning and Chad last night. Where do they get the numbers from ? Got emails from IT department about these scams must be going on up and down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Missed a call from Seychelles (+2482683016) and Nauru (+6745598276) a few weeks back. No way in Hell I was gonna answer those.

And yes, I had to Google Nauru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've rang all those numbers and they told me to hold.... I've been on hold the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Advertisement