Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you live in?

• 17-10-2017 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

Ireland seems to be a place where there is an obsession with home ownership, people who rent, even people who own their own apartments seem to be looked upon strangely.

In some countries on continental Europe, it's not unusual to spend your whole lif renting. The government actually provide high quality, good sustainable high-rise apartments. Everyone can rent in government-provided dwellings regardless of your income. You could have a brain surgeon living next door to a cleaner. No-one knows what rent the other is paying and everyone live harmoniously. Why can't this work in Ireland?

What is your current dwelling situation?

Where do you live? 161 votes

With family
    0%
    In a owned house
    11%
    tuxyomb0wyn5ehpij9sdanseoxtal191matthew8GunmonkeyAudreyHepburnPaul_Mc1988MatthewjohnPompousTuco88eurasianVowel MovementDontThankMeNoveightFeckoffcupGorgeousgeorgeDidactic NinjaGerrup Outta Dat! 19 votes
    In a private rented house
    52%
    BigCongenieHesh's UmpireAkrasiaSouthernBellestorkerpaconnorsWibbsCrunchienutTiggerpm.RobbieTheRobberdamo86Welrucpawrickytpe2r5bxkn0c1Teebor15thestrangerGyalistjon1981 85 votes
    In a council rented house
    14%
    Lia_liarecyclebinAsmodean5uspectfundot123Katgurlstevek93PadkirRothmansBrian201888Pwindeddtiredcitylilsparkle69[Deleted User][Deleted User]Joeseph BallsOldMrBrennan83r93kaey5p2izunMacker2001BeerFarts 23 votes
    In an owned apartment
    3%
    Bobby BaccalaMam of 4the dark phantomChris.boardsuser1 5 votes
    In a private rented apartment
    4%
    Sierra Oscarmurpho999Ulysses Gazeglenqjoe stodgeMammy2016server down 7 votes
    In a council rented apartment
    11%
    ToxicPaddyLa_Gordyrainbow kirbySam HainTerrorFirmeraidan24326silvervixen84Head_HunterRayMShlipperyeoins23456NooMo14manutd83miss flutter upstupennyBurial.DefinitelyMarc 18 votes
    Student accommodation
    0%
    Martina1991 1 vote
    Lodger / Licensee
    1%
    Bitches Be TrypsinPanjandrums 2 votes
    Other
    0%
    Wintergreen 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I live in your many threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I live in the moment, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

A house. A very big house in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I live in a pineapple under the .....
    Oh wait .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

What mileage is on your house op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

My head, mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I live with my millions of Euro, my hoes, and my bags full of Grade A 100% Pure Colombian Cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

sullivlo wrote: »
    A house. A very big house in the country.

Everyone should live in a big house in the country, it should be the law. I don't understand how people can live in shoeboxes in urban areas, it's bound to cause stress and psychological problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A yellow submarine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ireland seems to be a place where there is an obsession with home ownership, people who rent, even people who own their own apartments seem to be looked upon strangely.

In some countries on continental Europe, it's not unusual to spend your whole lif renting. The government actually provide high quality, good sustainable high-rise apartments. Everyone can rent in government-provided dwellings regardless of your income. You could have a brain surgeon living next door to a cleaner. No-one knows what rent the other is paying and everyone live harmoniously. Why can't this work in Ireland?

1 in 6 of your posts are a new thread
    i live here and you are the annoying new neighbour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Everyone should live in a big house in the country, it should be the law. I don't understand how people can live in shoeboxes in urban areas, it's bound to cause stress and psychological problems.

Not as much stress and psychological problems as seeing yet another thread devolve into a city-vs-country fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

A glass case of emotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Student accommodation
    I rent an apartment but my mother is mad for me to buy a house.

She says renting is dead money. Being tied to a mortgage at 26 sounds daft to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

In Europe, high quality rental accommodation is available at a reasonable price for long periods of time with little or no price gouging allowed, landlords are generally held accountable for their properties and strong rent rules protecting tenants are in place.

If that was available in Ireland, the obsession with owning your own property would soon disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Whereever I lay my hat , that's my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Denial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A cardboard box in the middle of the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

elperello wrote: »
    A cardboard box in the middle of the motorway.

Ohhh la de da , just look at you in your fancy location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Your poll is terrible. It's a mixture between ... who do you live with.... how do you pay for your accomodation... and what kind of structure do you live in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Are you buying or renting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Under the Sea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A paper bag in the middle of a sceptic tank.

Edit; But I own the bag, if not the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

With my mother and father in a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Patww79 wrote: »

So pitiful, isn't it. I had a conversation with a colleague a few weeks back and he was pissed off because of a conversation he had with a neighbour in the pub. The colleague is paying top dollar rent for a three up two down. The neighbour is paying less on the mortgage. No problem there, but during a conversation about the estate, the neighbour referred to my colleague's house as the place "you are staying". Not fooking living, but staying.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Waiting to see who lives in a lodger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Oh a sceptic tank..well la-dee-da Mr Frenchman....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

In a owned house
    Living at home with Los Parentos. I'll be 24 in November and have no immediate plans to make a move.

Hmmmm....not sure i believe that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Hmmmm....not sure i believe that

Young ones today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

183cm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Other.
    A whirlpool washing machine box under a bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

There’s more home ownership on boards than I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

In a small rented 2 bed house in Cork city. Very lucky that our rent is about 400-500 euro cheaper than similar houses in the area. No major plans to buy in the immediate future but probably will eventually. I'm happy to be paying "dead money" for now!

• Advertisement

Luxury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2 bedroom rented apartment. Would be an absolute miracle if we were ever able to buy around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There’s more home ownership on boards than I would have thought.

we are acually quite a wweaothy bunch

It might if there was anything like the same long term security for renters in Ireland.

But there isn't.

So people buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Tigger wrote: »
    we are acually quite a wweaothy bunch

We are considerably richer than YOU!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

In some countries on continental Europe, it's not unusual to spend your whole lif renting. The government actually provide high quality, good sustainable high-rise apartments. Everyone can rent in government-provided dwellings regardless of your income. You could have a brain surgeon living next door to a cleaner. No-one knows what rent the other is paying and everyone live harmoniously.

Why can't this work in Ireland?

I think you answered your own question there OP. Our government (successive ones of all sides and political persuasions) seem incapable of organising an inebriating event in an alcohol fermenting facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

In some countries on continental Europe, it's not unusual to spend your whole lif renting. The government actually provide high quality, good sustainable high-rise apartments.

It’s a myth that most continental countries have low ownership rates. Except for Germany, Austria and Switzerland its generally high, higher than here or the UK in many cases. The UK is trending below France and falling. We are also trending lower (used to be 80%, now 65%)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I live in a shoe, with my kids, it's a nice shoe, unfortunately the kids are getting bigger now and my home is getting little cramped, I just don't know what to do...

Give them some broth without any bread, and send them to bed with a sound whipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

branie2 wrote: »
    Give them some broth without any bread, and send them to bed with a sound whipping.

I've been in trouble with child services for that craic before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I live in a three bed house in Dublin that I bought 15 years ago. I feel very lucky because if I was that age now I'd never be able to afford to buy in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

A voluminous Victorian edifice in Dublin.

I'd honestly love to employ a butler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

3bed end of terrace in the shtix. We don't even have a church or a takeaway in the village. It's just quiet and remote enough for me. Only Leitrim would be a step-up in the sense of remoteness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Why can we only pick one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement