Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you live in?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Everyone should live in a big house in the country, it should be the law. I don't understand how people can live in shoeboxes in urban areas, it's bound to cause stress and psychological problems.

Have you been reading Balzac and knocking back Prozac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In a private rented house
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    Have you been reading Balzac and knocking back Prozac?

Nah, he's probably just following the Church of nox001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

I knew a poor old woman that was living in a tyre. It burst though, and now she is living in a flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

In a private rented apartment
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

A friend of mine just bought a high quality good house which was built by the council a few decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DrPhilG wrote: »
    A yellow submarine.

We all live in one of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I live in a box

I think it's very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I live in a 2 bed apartment that I bought in 2001. Well, the second bedroom is too small to be of much use and the whole place is tiny but for me and my cats it's a palace. I'm very glad I bought when I did. My mortgage is reasonable and I"ve less than 20 years to go on payments. I am happy with where I am and what I have.

I'm currently a caretaker in a large hotel that has closed for the winter. I've been trying to write a book, but I can't quite find the inspiration I need creatively. My annoying wife has a cold and is snotting everywhere and my kid keeps crashing his tricycle into everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In a council rented house
    I house share with strangers in a privately owned house in a council estate. Can't see myself ever affording to buy a house or rent one by myself. Having a pet is very important to me so buying an apartment is a last resort I'm unwilling to go for until absolutely desperate.

• Advertisement

I house share with strangers in a privately owned house in a council estate. Can't see myself ever affording to buy a house or rent one by myself. Having a pet is very important to me so buying an apartment is a last resort I'm unwilling to go for until absolutely desperate.

You could adopt a pet headlice or flea?

Or imaginary pets are all the rage now, My pet Liger hardly needs to be walked at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

In an owned apartment
    How come theres so few votes for council rented houses? Thought that would have been high enough

Get yourself a tarantula, low maintenance and sound pets. Just not cuddly but at least you don't have to clean a litterbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

In a council rented house
    I'd like to be able to buy my own house but its becoming more and more of a pipe dream to be honest. Never had the best of relationships with the folks so I never had nor wanted the option to live at home for a few years to save a few bob. I had to schlep it for a few years when I graduated before I could land a position I was qualified in. Once I had that job we had a wedding to save for, and after that our kids came along. Pretty low key wedding, not a huge amount of money to be honest. Been paying rent for a good few years now and I'm proud to say I've never missed one months payment in all that time. My wife wanted to stay at home until the kids are off to school so we're a single income family now. We moved location with my new job so that the price of rent has dropped considerably for us, luckily.

Its the deposit side of things that I would really struggle with. I'm not fortunate enough to have 20 or 30K sitting in my bank account. We'd only be in the position to start saving a small bit in recent times, so it would be a long ass time before we could pull the trigger on a mortgage. We're happy out though and that's all that matters to us as a family. It would be nice of course so have something to leave the kids in the future but sure that's the reality of life for a lot of people now. Plus side is that if the washing machine packs it in etc etc the landlord gets it sorted for us. 'Dead money' is the most insulting phrase anyone can say to me when I tell them I'm renting. I know I won't get a return on what I'm paying off in the future but I'm still meeting a vital necessity to keep my family safe and comfortable. Completely different scale I understand, but you don't make money back on buying your groceries every week, but it keeps you alive. That's the way I think of it.

I don't know how my parents managed it back in the day. Me ould lad had a bog standard job, we were never well of by any means and yet we were still able to move into a brand new 3 bed semi when I was about 10.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    How come theres so few votes for council rented houses? Thought that would have been high enough

Because if you rent from the council, you basically own the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

There’s more home ownership on boards than I would have thought.
    Doesnt mean the poster owns it.. Someone ( parents, grandparents, siblings) owns it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I live in your many threads

I only live in the ones with polls.

endacl wrote: »
    I only live in the ones with polls.

Good thinking!. The polls do awesome smoked meats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Tigger wrote:
    1 in 6 of your posts are a new thread i live here and you are the annoying new neighbour

Every new thread is a stupid question that for some reason people feel compelled to answer. Just like a quiz question on ITV, everyone knows the answer, I must enter!

The OP is barely involved in any of the discussions.

This dude is obviously the troll from a few months ago..

I'm honestly just here because I'm waiting for the bashing of council tenants that'll start somewhere over the next 3 sites.

I'm a filthy sensationalist, I live off the energy of internet fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

In a private rented apartment
    Ronin247 wrote: »
    Doesnt mean the poster owns it.. Someone ( parents, grandparents, siblings) owns it.

That would be “with family”. All properties are owned by someone or some entity. Given all the choices these people own their property. Which these days is 30+.

Aging demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

A state of oblivious hedonism... come join me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

In a council rented apartment
    Asmodean wrote: »
    I don't know how my parents managed it back in the day. Me ould lad had a bog standard job, we were never well of by any means and yet we were still able to move into a brand new 3 bed semi when I was about 10.

They managed it because house prices were affordable back then. Even the ordinary Joe could aspire to buying a house at a cost that wouldn't cripple him so long as he stayed working.

Nowadays we have vulture funds buying up vast amounts of property here, charging extortionate rents, stifling any chance that alot of people have of saving for a deposit, and a government that sits back and lets them at it.

In fact, a government from one of only a handful of countries in the world that voted against a UN motion to curtail the activities of vulture funds. Seriously, look it up. It was buried in the media but it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I want to say a shoe.

But I'll play the game. I live in my own fully paid for house.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

Cabbage Patch - farmer owned

Advertisement