Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed ramps fitted to tarmac path to Three rock aerials....

Options
  • 17-10-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up several freshly fitted speed ramps to make the descent a bit tricky...was up tonight. Mehhh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Noticed this on Sunday. Stoopid.

They are also the bumpy kind, and very slippery on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Practice bunny hopping them it will be a blast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

benneca1 wrote: »
    Practice bunny hopping them it will be a blast. :)

Did exactly that last night the 2nd last one coming into the bend will be interesting..... Speed..hop..brake..turn...:D
    Focus on the positives I suppose we now have an opportunity for "post ramp" segments:cool:

I blame the Everest-er by the way :P

I was wondering if someone reported a looney going up and down the whole day, risking life of their dogs and children, so they decided to put a stop to lunacies like this... ;)

Alek wrote: »
    I was wondering if someone reported a looney going up and down the whole day, risking life of their dogs and children, so they decided to put a stop to lunacies like this... ;)

It only takes one...:D
    Wonder will they be putting them on the MTB trails..they could do with a bit of attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Probably to discourage Skateboarders more than anything, would have no impact to someone on an MTB...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

That's a pity. Is there many of them?

Five, as far as I remember, at the top section.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Who would have fitted them? SDCC or Coilte? If they are the metal ones have they just rendered the path unusable to road bikes?

They are plastic ones, not really making anything unusable, but certainly limiting your speed going downhill...

• Advertisement

Wonder what the logic of that was.

P_1 wrote: »
    Who would have fitted them? SDCC or Coilte? If they are the metal ones have they just rendered the path unusable to road bikes?

Would imagine Coilte...
    Health and Safety no doubt...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd guess more insurance worries than general 'health and safety'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else specifically to slow cyclists down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Awful bloody things positioned in all the most dangerous parts of the descent,the corners.
    And ffs can somebody go back up and sweep that corner again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Alek wrote: »
    They are plastic ones, not really making anything unusable, but certainly limiting your speed going downhill...

Erm?
    Mayhaps to slow people down?
    Awful bloody things positioned in all the most dangerous parts of the descent,the corners.
    Weird!
    Its almost like they want people to be going slower at the most dangerous parts of the road?!
    Loonies huh!

In fairnes the only one that makes sense is at the top of that corner we were working on. If you don't reduce your speed there your'e foooked anyway ;)

GreeBo wrote: »
    Erm?
    Mayhaps to slow people down?

Weird!
    Its almost like they want people to be going slower at the most dangerous parts of the road?!
    Loonies huh!

How many times have you cycled down said subject heading out of curiosity?

And ffs can somebody go back up and sweep that corner again ;)

I still have your long handled brush its taking up a lot of space in my truck!!:D

Mods close this please posted as a heads up for regular "SAFE" users of particular path...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably a few older pedestrians got one close pass too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I cycled up it the other night and it seemed they were mostly on the approach to corners, forcing cyclists to slow down where they can't see far ahead. Seems more than reasonable to me.

How many times have you cycled down said subject heading out of curiosity?

Numerous times, I've lived nearby for 40 odd years.

Does that change *anything* about the logic of a) the ramps and/or b) where they were placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I imagine they're to deter longboarders. Shouldn't cause any problems on a road bike at a sensible speed.

Shouldn't cause any problems on a road bike at a sensible speed.

They're very slippery if its even remotely wet. I had my CX tyre spin on them easily when going uphilll on Sunday... very annoying to be honest and imho dangerous if going down and braking.

I imagine they're to deter longboarders. Shouldn't cause any problems on a road bike at a sensible speed.

Were longboarders particularly problematic there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

To limit the speed of cycles going downhill? :D

I have not been up it in years, but I do recall cyclists bombing down these type of paths like it was a closed road with no hazard of dogs, walkers or joggers. For me, the reward/challenge is all in the uphill.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Numerous times, I've lived nearby for 40 odd years.

Does that change *anything* about the logic of a) the ramps and/or b) where they were placed?

I never questioned the logic or why they were placed there.
    I pointed out to fellow cyclists who I know will be in that place to their presence..

I dont recognise your name from the cycling forum unlike some of the other posters in above thread who frequent the area.

I never questioned the logic or why they were placed there.
    I pointed out to fellow cyclists who I know will be in that place to their presence..
    So why the curiosity regarding my usage of that hill in the context of the ramps?
    I dont recognise your name from the cycling forum unlike some of the other posters in above thread who frequent the area.
    And?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I don't recognise your name from the cycling forum .

Me neither but he's over 12000 post complaining about something :p:p

Advertisement