Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[HELP] Advise of claiming JSB after 3 years of idling?

Options
  • 17-10-2017 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello good people,

Advise needed because i'm totally lost...

I would like to start going to the university since Autumn, 2018 but wont make 4 years of studies without JSB. Problem is that I quit my last job 3 years ago (been working there for >4.5 years, IT field) and since then basically has been doing this and that away from Ireland (no official work, been travelling, volunteering and doing interesting/important things. Life studies). Came back now (October 2017) and started thinking how to sort things out in order to prepare for the university and make everything right. So basically the question is:
    1) what are my chances to start getting JSB after 3 years of idling (being outside the Ireland)?
    2) I'm not in any official records now - should i register for a gas bill, internet etc. (as a proof)
    3) will 6 months of bank statement will be enough? How often they ask for 12? What about electricity bill?

(p.s. I'm European and have a Irish bank account. I could register at my brothers place for electricity and make a beautiful bank account statement fr 6months (but if they ask for 12months then that would mean big trouble as it shows other country on the statement ;/)

Probably thats it. Bowing low for any help .Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Hello good people,

Advise needed because i'm totally lost...

I would like to start going to the university since Autumn, 2018 but wont make 4 years of studies without JSB. Problem is that I quit my last job 3 years ago (been working there for >4.5 years, IT field) and since then basically has been doing this and that away from Ireland (no official work, been travelling, volunteering and doing interesting/important things. Life studies). Came back now (October 2017) and started thinking how to sort things out in order to prepare for the university and make everything right. So basically the question is:
    1) what are my chances to start getting JSB after 3 years of idling (being outside the Ireland)?
    2) I'm not in any official records now - should i register for a gas bill, internet etc. (as a proof)
    3) will 6 months of bank statement will be enough? How often they ask for 12? What about electricity bill?

(p.s. I'm European and have a Irish bank account. I could register at my brothers place for electricity and make a beautiful bank account statement fr 6months (but if they ask for 12months then that would mean big trouble as it shows other country on the statement ;/)

Probably thats it. Bowing low for any help .Thank you!

JSB - unlikely.
    If you apply in 2017, and you do qualify, it will be linked to your avg earning in 2015. You don't seem to have any so you'd be on a tapered rate approx €84 p/wk.

You could apply for allowance. This would be means tested. You'd also have to satisfy an habitual residency condition. This means proving that Ireland is your home. This might be an issue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You're not looking for full time work so no

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭artichoke

I would say you are not getting JSB or JSA as you have been absent from the country for more than 2 years. You may be able to apply for supplementary allowance if you show a record of unemployment/tax contributions from the country you were residing in the last 12 months and they may only pay you for 3 months. I don't think they will pay you anything if you are not looking for work. Why should the state fund your education if you haven't lived in the country for so long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I think there is absolutely nothing for you from the state. It is back to work for you.....

Advertisement