Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tripod suggestions?

• 17-10-2017 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi all , looking for recommendations on tripods. Budget wise I'd like to keep it around 100 euro or less. Looking for a good all round tripod for portrait and landscape. From looking around the quick release legs look the business, would like to hear people feedback on any typos they have/ had when starting out that they found your and reliable.

Would something like this be ok for starting out?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FS3NGJ0?psc=1

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It has been said before many times.

The things you want is a Tripod are;

Stable
    Lightweight
    Inexpensive

However you will only get two of those three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The one you have linked to looks like many of the cheaper tripods. I would expect it would be OK but you may find it's not as stable as something like a Manfrotto. If that is your budget then it is better than no tripod and there are techniques to get the most out of it, probably good practice anyway. Lock up the mirror, use a remote or cable release and you can try hanging some weight underneath (like a gear bag) to help to keep it settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

CabanSail wrote: »
    The one you have linked to looks like many of the cheaper tripods. I would expect it would be OK but you may find it's not as stable as something like a Manfrotto. If that is your budget then it is better than no tripod and there are techniques to get the most out of it, probably good practice anyway. Lock up the mirror, use a remote or cable release and you can try hanging some weight underneath (like a gear bag) to help to keep it settled.

Yes, I understand it is one of the cheaper ones, I picked it as an example as it has the quick release flip locks on the legs, most of the others seem to have the twist release for each section of each leg, looks like it would be a lot slower to set up and use. Any of the manfrotto's I've seen within budget seen to be more about for the point and shoot cameras. I am open to suggestions, I could always keep saving away for a better tripod, just wanted to get something to get started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Keep a lookout on Adverts.ie and DoneDeal. Get a decent used Manfrotto, it'll last you a lifetime.

Keep a lookout on Adverts.ie and DoneDeal. Get a decent used Manfrotto, it'll last you a lifetime.

Any particular model, there seems to be a lot of different varients these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Anything that has PRO at the start, will serve you well.

I tend to lean towards the Manfrotto stuff but Slik have a good name too.

Be aware that the Manfrotto you have linked above does not have a head. You normally have to buy them separately. The two Slik one's have Ball Heads which may not be the most convenient as they only have the one lock for all axis.

How much will you be using this Tripod?

Well I joined my local camera club recently so, I will be using it for outings , I'm still learning but I'm going to need something for the day trips and getting photo's for the monthly competitions.

Yeah I know that one has no head, didn't spot that about the 2 silk tripods that is only one lock for all axis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

glic83 wrote: »
    Well I joined my local camera club recently so, I will be using it for outings , I'm still learning but I'm going to need something for the day trips and getting photo's for the monthly competitions.
    Honestly? A cheapo Lild tripod would be a better place to start. A €100 one would be better, but a €200 one would be waaaaaay better. Get something that'll do the job for the moment. Then, after checking out what you actually need, save up and get something you won't want to replace in 6 months time. And hand the cheap one to a new member in the same position you're in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

The Manfrotto 055 and 190 series tripods are the ones to aim for, but this slightly older generation one (the 290) is really solid, with good features at a fair price: Lots of Irish shops carry it: https://www.google.ie/search?q=290+Xtra+ireland+shop+&oq=290+Xtra+ireland+shop+&gs_l=psy-ab.3...14237.15865.0.16698.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.E0Aw-s5j8Hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I got a Vanguard Alta Pro on Amazon for about €150. Very pleased with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The Manfrotto 055 and 190 series tripods are the ones to aim for, but this slightly older generation one (the 290) is really solid, with good features at a fair price: Lots of Irish shops carry it:

I can heartily second the Manfrotto 190 series. I've had mine for over a decade. It has a few scuffs and scrapes, but is as functional as when I bought it. Even the foam pieces around parts of the legs are completely intact. It is not super light, nor cheap. The flexibility of how you can spread the legs and what you can do with the centre post, can be useful once in a while.
    I have a €30 Vivitar when light & mediocre will get the job done... which is very rarely.
    Good luck finding something that works for you.

Well, just an update, the better half has decided to get me a tripod for Christmas so, I'm going to keep looking around and see if any bargains come up between now and then. A friend gave me a loan of one of his today for the camera outing, so I should survive to Christmas without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I have had a Manfrotto for years and it is as solid as a rock. However, I'm fed up carrying it about so I got this lighter Rollei tripod recently and find it perfect when out doors. I'll keep the Manfrotto for studio use as I use a much heavier camera there.

http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=65

Advertisement