Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any options for this situation?

Options
  • 18-10-2017 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Guys, looking for some pointers about where to start but dont really know if its possible.

Im looking for a good monitored system, ideally with recording cameras outside...

BUT

its an old house with very thick walls and not suitable for drilling/wiring
    there are pets that would be indoors
    No proper broadband or dependable mobile available but there is 4G reception

Are there any good options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I am sure someone will explain what your options are in more technical details...but I have a wireless system that required no drilling in one part of my house (older part) , all the motion sensors and windows are wire free.
    Our dog does be in the kitchen at night or other room and we can turn off/on what motion sensor we like so he won’t trip alarm..ours is monitored through a landline but you can do same with a mobile single.
    We have a few cameras connected to a DVR that are constantly recording but they required drilling for cables into the attic.
    Plenty of new cameras ( nest,ring,Arlo) now which are cloud based and don’t require wiring at all but I do think they require broadband..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Get a few professional installers who are PSA licensed out to view the property.
    Any guy worth his salt should be able to reassure you.
    Also there are no wireless cameras, they all need power cables at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

kub wrote: »
    Get a few professional installers who are PSA licensed out to view the property.
    Any guy worth his salt should be able to reassure you.
    Also there are no wireless cameras, they all need power cables at least.
    A few wireless cameras on the market that only require recharging every 6 months or so, not having broadband would probably rule these out though.

harr wrote:
    A few wireless cameras on the market that only require recharging every 6 months or so, not having broadband would probably rule these out though.

Yeach, sorry I am old fashioned in a way and would prefer a constant stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ooompie5

kub wrote: »
    Yeach, sorry I am old fashioned in a way and would prefer a constant stream.

I can wire outside allright id say... its the internal wires that would be difficult.

Do "professional installers who are PSA licensed" cover all systems, or would I in effect be opting for "their systems" when i get them out?

• Advertisement

ooompie5 wrote:
    Do "professional installers who are PSA licensed" cover all systems, or would I in effect be opting for "their systems" when i get them out?

Well any good installer will be able to install what ever system has the features you require.
    Just explain to them what you need and go from there.

Advertisement