Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of runner brand

• 18-10-2017 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for your experiences with changing type/brand of runner. I'm a mild/moderate overpronator, and I've run in Mizuno Wave Inspire for the past 5-6 years. Felt that they were loosing their cushioning after a couple of hundred miles so changed to Saucony Guides (also for mild/moderate overpronators). I've run about 8 times in them. They feel nice, however, i've started to get some niggles in my left knee (which I never had before) and upper quad. Is it common to have niggles with the change in runner, and does it just take time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

To be honest I find there is very little difference between the major brands.

Adidas shoes tend to be smaller than the other ones so I always buy them half a size bigger but that's about it.

I've been using all kinds of shoe brands over the years and none of them stand out, neither positive nor negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I changed from Asics to Mizuno (Kayano to Wave Paradox) about a year ago and had no major issues. I did the change relatively gradually - phased in the new ones for shorter runs first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RubyK wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for your experiences with changing type/brand of runner. I'm a mild/moderate overpronator, and I've run in Mizuno Wave Inspire for the past 5-6 years. Felt that they were loosing their cushioning after a couple of hundred miles so changed to Saucony Guides (also for mild/moderate overpronators). I've run about 8 times in them. They feel nice, however, i've started to get some niggles in my left knee (which I never had before) and upper quad. Is it common to have niggles with the change in runner, and does it just take time?

check that there is no difference in the heel drop...I was told by my orthotics guy, to get a specific runner (can't remember name) and they didn't have it in the shop and was given an equivalent runner in a different brand. A few weeks later I started having trouble and my gut was telling me it was the runners. IT was, the runners had a different heel drop to the recommended ones and this was causing the problem...even the slightest difference can cause a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

What annoys me with runners brands , is that when they update a model it changes the shoe significantly.

The only thing consistant is that my big toe will always poke itself out of a pair of asics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Younganne wrote: »
    check that there is no difference in the heel drop...I was told by my orthotics guy, to get a specific runner (can't remember name) and they didn't have it in the shop and was given an equivalent runner in a different brand. A few weeks later I started having trouble and my gut was telling me it was the runners. IT was, the runners had a different heel drop to the recommended ones and this was causing the problem...even the slightest difference can cause a problem.

Thats funny...I was replying to your post and was reading it again, and I thought 'hang on - did I write this post myself' because the EXACT same thing happened to me.

Running shop didnt have my usual brand, given 'equivalent' runner, Brooks instead of Mizuno, both neutral runners, told they were the same for all intents and purposes.

But there was 1/2 cm difference in heel drop (Mizuno having higher heel drop), and I got achilles problems almost straight away. Ran in the Brooks maybe 4 or 5 times and dropped them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks everyone for your feed back
    Younganne wrote: »

Hey Younganne, thanks a mill for that, there is a difference in heel drop, 12mm on Mizuno and 8mm on Saucony. Left knee, quad and hip were achey/uncomfortable after Tues run (last run in Saucony). Have reverted back to Mizunos since Wed and things have settled down again. Lesson learned for me, stick with what you know and works for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your feed back

Hey Younganne, thanks a mill for that, there is a difference in heel drop, 12mm on Mizuno and 8mm on Saucony. Left knee, quad and hip were achey/uncomfortable after Tues run (last run in Saucony). Have reverted back to Mizunos since Wed and things have settled down again. Lesson learned for me, stick with what you know and works for you :)

Incidentally

I've often wondered if this is a clever marketing ploy by Mizuno....

In that you mightnt have problems prior to using Mizunos, but if you get used to running on them then it might be a problem to switch again afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Quite a few Asics and Brooks models have a 12mm drop as well. Not a conspiracy on Mizuno's part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Incidentally

I've often wondered if this is a clever marketing ploy by Mizuno....

In that you mightnt have problems prior to using Mizunos, but if you get used to running on them then it might be a problem to switch again afterwards.

Brooks Adrenaline can have a heel drop almost at 13cm, the GTS 15 was 12.9 and has dropped to somewhere between 12-12.5, the depending on the publication you read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Brooks Adrenaline can have a heel drop almost at 13cm
    :eek:
    499743777_o.jpg

:p

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They're aiming them at this niche market, just in the news recently
    https://www.runnersworld.com/unconventional-world-records/heel-striker-woman-sets-marathon-record-in-3-inch-stilettos

(I'm an inches man, don't work with the new fangled other stuff)

Advertisement