Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling like my job is going no where

Options
  • 18-10-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

So I am working in the banking / financial services area the last 8 years. Prior to that I was in college for 4 years. I have plenty of experience in different banking areas and I am a good worker.

In my current team I am a quick learner, reliable, efficient, get on with everyone on my team. I am probably one of the most experienced on my team. However, I am a very shy/quiet and feel this is the reason I am going nowhere career wise.

In my team and around me at work there are people who are either just out of college in the last 1-2 years. There are people from all different backgrounds. They have all moved up to senior and supervisory positions and I feel stuck. There has been no complaints about my work but I feel like my personality is holding my back and as a result I am starting to feel frustrated and losing motivation.

Any advice as I’m starting to wonder if I am just in the wrong career area all together?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well first of all no one on here is going to be able to tell if your personality is an issue, since we don't know you nor your team... and second even if it is, how will changing situations improve the situation???

Can you perhaps talk with your manager or someone else within the team? try a career guidance councillor etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe you need to work on the shyness etc. Because you'll have the same problem in any job. So changing it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In my current team I am a quick learner, reliable, efficient, get on with everyone on my team. I am probably one of the most experienced on my team. However, I am a very shy/quiet and feel this is the reason I am going nowhere career wise.
    Consider that you've been kept where you are as it's cheaper to do so.

Get training for managing people, and do some team related sports to help work on your confidence dealing with people. This will give you the skills to move up the ladder.

Advertisement