Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic has sprouted - Ruined?

Options
  • 18-10-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I planted garlic there a couple of weeks back. Gardeners World said that when it over winters, its more likely to produce bulbs.

However, it's been mild enough out, and the garlic is already a few inches above ground.
    Will it produce bulbs next year, or should I dig it up and replant in November/December?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nope, leave well alone. it'll be fine in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If is in a greenhouse,warm and safe,it will produce bulbs but slower due to the cold and lack of sun/warm/light.
    If outside,i will say it will die slowly due to frost and cold,possible the roots may survive.

Just leave the nature to take its path,keep an eye on it and keep it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Garlic is usually quite hardy.
    It does indeed need a cool spell, otherwise it wont form proper bulbs next summer.
    The main risk from planting it too early is that it might produce too much soft growth before winter sets in, and if you get a very hard frost over the winter, it might get knocked back.
    I planted mine a week ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rolion wrote: »
    If outside,i will say it will die slowly due to frost and cold,possible the roots may survive.
    you traditionally plant garlic before christmas - before the harsher frosts arrive. it's never been a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Samson1

Hi
    I planted garlic there a couple of weeks back. Gardeners World said that when it over winters, its more likely to produce bulbs.

However, it's been mild enough out, and the garlic is already a few inches above ground.
    Will it produce bulbs next year, or should I dig it up and replant in November/December?

Thanks!

Don't worry - this is normal. I planted garlic on 11th October last year, in 3 weeks it had sprouted and the stems were 2 to 3 inches high. It will continue to grow and thrive through the winter. Garlic needs to be in the ground for at least one cold month in order to divide into separate cloves - that's why you plant it now.
    What you are seeing is normal & it will be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I planted mine about two weeks ago. Just started sprouting the past two days. If it doesn't get a month or two in cold conditions it'll just get bigger. It won't make extra cloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shrubsandsudz

Garlic does sprout this time of year. Perfect planting time. You wan to keep it outside so the frost can get at it - it's what make the clove crack and make a bulb come july next year. It's a heavy feeder, so place it in rich compost or feed regularly, more so in spring when it's pushing out. We plant now so it has a chance to establish a root system before the real cold sets in.

They sit almost stagnating, but they are just conserving energy till a wallop of warmth gits'em in April. Inside polytunnels in my exp has not been good because you don't get the split in clove - you just get a bigger clove at the end. You can put you cloves in the freezer for a bit - week -10 days then put it in the tunnel. But you want that one clove to break down and produce "bulblets" that will produce what you're looking for.

Advertisement