Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court Appearance (no conviction)

• 18-10-2017 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 SamW2018

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before. A friend of mine is due in court soon for a drunk and disorderly charge (first offense) and his solicitor has told him the likely outcome will be a fine payable to charity and a warning from the Judge after an apology.

He is however worried about his name appearing in the local paper court section. I heard of instances before of people being able to keep their name out of the paper where a criminal conviction was not handed down....is this a myth? I would assume so....freedom of the press and all that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

"A Friend", sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Go to all the local newsagents first thing in the morning on the day the paper is published and buy all the papers and burn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The judge should throw the book at him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If the court is in a city area it will go unnoticed. If it's a country area on a slow day, hello 15 minutes of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

gramar wrote: »
    Go to all the local newsagents first thing in the morning on the day the paper is published and buy all the papers and burn them.

Dont forget to burn the Internet down too. Find the nearest server farm before the information gets out to the wider farms of servers .

dont do this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

What about the online media?

Maybe he could buy up the internet on that day?

A myth, papers entitled to report unless Judge directs them not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

At the sentencing hearing, before the judge hands down 2 oz of cold hard justice, get your friend to pipe up and say "I don't recognise the Court!"
    The Judge will reply that he has jurisdiction, to which your friend can reply "no, seriously. I don't recognise it - have you painted the walls and gotten new curtains?"
    Hilarity will ensue, the judge will throw the case out and your friend will go for a drink with the attractive DPP Solicitor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A myth, papers entitled to report unless Judge directs them not to.

Your best bet is knowing someone at the paper and asking them not to report it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tell your friend to go to court drunk, get a little bit disorderly, drink a bottle of jack throughout the sitting.

It'll be like it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

This might be a legal loophole.

Get your friend to tan himself (not sure why I assume it's a he) as dark as possible and lodge a Not Guilty plea.

Your friends defense will be that he was set up coz he's black. The judge knowing how sensitive an issue racial matters are will throw the case out and your friend will walk free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I wonder if he were to notify the court that he has moved address to another part of the Country.

Would that work or would they give his old address in court as well when the charge was read out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Tell the Judge you're a freeman of the land and believe that the laws of the land only have force when someone ‘consents’ to them. Tell them you do not consent to the laws of the land.

As far as I know, the Judge has to apologise, make a donation to the court poor box himself and let you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lexi Deafening Sax

Your best bet is knowing someone at the paper and asking them not to report it.
    He aint Niamh Herbert :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ah does he not want his mammy to read he was out causing trouble, Joking
    He can hope there a worse case on that day that gets the papers attention ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dia1988 wrote: »
    ... Get your friend to tan himself (not sure why I assume it's a he) ...
    Was any of the following a clue?
    SamW2018 wrote: »
    ... his solicitor has told him the likely outcome...

He is however worried about his name appearing in the local paper court section...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He could end up in the paper. Depends on if there's a reporter present and if there's any interesting angle to the arrest or not that would merit a write-up. As for internet, the right to be forgotten applies in cases like this I think i.e. where the Probabtion Act is applied. So he could get unlucky and have his name in the paper but it won't be online forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Give the reporter 50 notes at the steps of the court,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''Drunken Man's Bid to Silence Media''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Like post it notes?

funny-pics-of-funny-love-notes-found-cornflake.jpeg

50 of these bad boys, that'll shut the reporter up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

4658497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

branie2 wrote: »
    The judge should throw the book at him
    Maybe the OP's "friend" is a judge who had a few pints and then threw a book at someone leading to their current predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Was this woman involved in the said incident;

KGkzG6l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Court reporters might take a back hander especially if its a trivial case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Change your name to Chanandler Bong after your court date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Bridie: I hear young walsh is going to prison.
    Mary: He was always a little **** wasn't he. Pity he wasn't caught for that
    incident with the donkey.
    Bridie: At least he'll finally lose his virginity Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends where it is. I know here in Galway stories like that regularly appear in the City Tribune as a couple of lines. Just really luck of the draw, depends on how much other stuff is going on that day or week. There wouldn't even be court reporters at a lot of the local courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most cases that appear in the local district court don't appear in the local paper. It's generally only the interesting one's that do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Depends on the town, depends on the paper....
    Court house's are usually public unless the case is sensitive where the judge could ask people to leave.

Maybe just hope someone gets convicted for sexually molesting a dead horse... That should take the shine off your good self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

It happened to me ans was pretty embarassing.

I was in court in the CCJ in Dublin. Wasn't anything too serious but the judge made a "funny" commenr when he was dealing with my case. i didn't really think it would make the papers especially with it being in Dublin.

Amyway I think it was Monday i was in court and then on the Friday evening i got a text from a mate saying I was in the paper. He knew i was in court so I thought he was winding me up. Turns out he wasn't and there was a story on the courts page in The Herald. It was a few days after the court so I thought I would have been OK.

Definitely didn't want to be in the paper for it but anybody can go into court so nothing I could do about it. What made it worse that there was a sma;; picture of me when i was coming out of the court. I remember seeing photographers outside the court but didn't realise that they would be even interested in raking a photo of me. After coming out of court the first thing I did was light up a smoke so in the pictyre I was there with a fag in my mouth looking like a scumbag. Mammy definitely wasn't happy.

When I was back in at work on the Monday some p**** had managed to copy the article from the newspaper and had put it up on a notice board. I never found out who did iand lucky I didn't because i would have punched him there and then. I hadn't told work I had been in court and had ranf in sick one of the days so my boss was not happy.

I didn't notice there being journalists in the court but I wasn't really looking that closely. In the paper it had my name, age and place where I lived and I don't know how the journalist would have got that because only my name was read out in court. Any time I read any court report now i notice it always says the name, age and most of the address of the person up in court. Anybody know how the papers get that?

To the OP and whoever is in court I don't think there is much tto do to stop it happening. I am guessing local papers down the country cover nearly everything that happens but it can happen in Dublin too. i was a bit paranoid tfor the next week about people who knew me having seen it and I did get a few comments alright but I guess it is part of the "shame" of being up in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Best bet for your "friend " would be a diversionary tactic.
    Maybe you could arrive naked or take a slash in a gardas pocket on the day.. something like that would really help you out , I mean your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Conor84 wrote: »
    It happened to me ans was pretty embarassing.

I was in court in the CCJ in Dublin. Wasn't anything too serious but the judge made a "funny" commenr when he was dealing with my case. i didn't really think it would make the papers especially with it being in Dublin.

Amyway I think it was Monday i was in court and then on the Friday evening i got a text from a mate saying I was in the paper. He knew i was in court so I thought he was winding me up. Turns out he wasn't and there was a story on the courts page in The Herald. It was a few days after the court so I thought I would have been OK.

Definitely didn't want to be in the paper for it but anybody can go into court so nothing I could do about it. What made it worse that there was a sma;; picture of me when i was coming out of the court. I remember seeing photographers outside the court but didn't realise that they would be even interested in raking a photo of me. After coming out of court the first thing I did was light up a smoke so in the pictyre I was there with a fag in my mouth looking like a scumbag. Mammy definitely wasn't happy.

When I was back in at work on the Monday some p**** had managed to copy the article from the newspaper and had put it up on a notice board. I never found out who did iand lucky I didn't because i would have punched him there and then. I hadn't told work I had been in court and had ranf in sick one of the days so my boss was not happy.

I didn't notice there being journalists in the court but I wasn't really looking that closely. In the paper it had my name, age and place where I lived and I don't know how the journalist would have got that because only my name was read out in court. Any time I read any court report now i notice it always says the name, age and most of the address of the person up in court. Anybody know how the papers get that?

To the OP and whoever is in court I don't think there is much tto do to stop it happening. I am guessing local papers down the country cover nearly everything that happens but it can happen in Dublin too. i was a bit paranoid tfor the next week about people who knew me having seen it and I did get a few comments alright but I guess it is part of the "shame" of being up in court

You were unlucky, but it's often comments from the judge that make a story, even if the charge is totally minor or uninteresting. The photo was just double unlucky though! Just the perfect storm in your case I think - even the fact you had a cigarette in your mouth plays into what photographers look for.

They would have gotten your details from the charge sheet or whatever, journalists would have access to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

You were unlucky, but it's often comments from the judge that make a story, even if the charge is totally minor or uninteresting. The photo was just double unlucky though! Just the perfect storm in your case I think - even the fact you had a cigarette in your mouth plays into what photographers look for.

They would have gotten your details from the charge sheet or whatever, journalists would have access to that.

Yeah damn the judge! I still have the page from the paper somewhere - really is a bad picture but like you said probably what they wanted. My Mam seemed to be more upset over the fact that she didn't know I was even in court and back smoking as well:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It'd want to be a slow news day to report it unless there was some comic element to it.

Advertisement