Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Club

Options
  • 18-10-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone played there, what's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

A few years since I played there, it's a very well maintain links course with some tricky holes and blind holes especially if the breeze is up and a few holes that have a bit of a parkland feel also. My bag came home lighter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

One of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Brilliant course. Not a bad hole on it. You need to carefully plan your shots as there's loads of danger around and deep sleeper walled bunkers which suck in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Lovely course, but difficult even on a calm day. Suits a low single figure handicapper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Potentially expensive :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bit of a flaming first post

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Great course while challenging links especially if the wind gets up. They have regular open singles and senior open siingles that from memory are good value. Maybe someone could post current open and senior open days and rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Beautiful and incredibly difficult, beats you up but you love it - bit like S&M for golfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is a course everyone should play .

Fantastic holes , great variety , interesting design and owner.

It has a few holes that seem out of place , almost parkland like - I know Pat Ruddy would choke on his cognac reading that. But as a Links player I think you can see the truth in the divot , that dark colour to me looks more soil like on the top layer.

Anyway - great holes like 3 and 4 and 7 and then a fantastic run to about 15 where it has a weak finish.

The course is too hard - so move to the forward tee for any sort of joy.

The course has always slaughtered me and I'm not a fan of a bunker that you can't get out of. I always fancy getting out of any bunker I'm ever in and view it as a skill in golf - this is removed at The European.

Go - you could love or hate - 80 % + love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

It is a course everyone should play .

Anyway - great holes like 3 and 4 and 7 and then a fantastic run to about 15 where it has a weak finish.

Not sure how you can call the last 3 holes weak.17 is a beauty played from an elevated tee down to a fairway in the middle of a gulley and 18 is a cracker. Sweeping right to left hole with a tough shot into a green protected by water. Two class finishing holes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

morrga wrote: »
    Not sure how you can call the last 3 holes weak.17 is a beauty played from an elevated tee down to a fairway in the middle of a gulley and 18 is a cracker. Sweeping right to left hole with a tough shot into a green protected by water. Two class finishing holes imo.

I'd put the last 4 as poor enough holes when we are talking about the best links in the country.

Yes an elevated tee always offers something - but the tree is out of place and it is just a bit open or something. It doesn't feel a natural hole.

Not a fan of 18 - again , bunkers with sleepers not for me and the water hazard is a bit crazy golf and green very hard to hold - with silly trouble long too.

We are talking about some of the best courses in country - not many actually have a great 18 - but most of them have a great run from 15 on - European doesn't. (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Not cheap for next year either, with a rack rate of e225 per round, Pat is not under valuing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Serious golf course. Not for the faint of heart. My only issue is the lack of information on your way round. Apparently, Pat Ruddy wanted it to be like the links courses of bygone eras where there were no distance markers on the course, or information posts on the tees. That issue has been eased somewhat with the access to Rangefinders and satellite devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

Absolutely fabulous course, the negative being the bunkers.  The railway sleepers might look good, but there are dangerous.  I don't really like the 18th as for most of us it's not possible to hold the green with a long iron over the watch.  It's a great mental and physical challenge, best course in the country to test yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

jimjim12 wrote: »
    The railway sleepers might look good, but there are dangerous. .

Are the sleepers actually dangerous or just perceived dangerous? Physics would tell me if they are angled away from you it would be almost impossible for the ball to ricochet straight back at you.

Are there many examples or experiences of people getting hurt in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Serious golf course. Not for the faint of heart. My only issue is the lack of information on your way round. Apparently, Pat Ruddy wanted it to be like the links courses of bygone eras where there were no distance markers on the course, or information posts on the tees. That issue has been eased somewhat with the access to Rangefinders and satellite devices.

GPS devices were banned there until very recently.

Ronney wrote: »
    Are the sleepers actually dangerous or just perceived dangerous? Physics would tell me if they are angled away from you it would be almost impossible for the ball to ricochet straight back at you.

I personally don’t think they are dangerous, just sh!te but I understand that, compared to rivetted bunkers they are cheap to build and low maintainence. But they do the rest of an amazing course a disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

Ronney wrote: »
    jimjim12 wrote: »
    The railway sleepers might look good, but there are dangerous. .

I've had a ball ricochet back at me.  It was a few years back so I can't recall if I had other options ie play out sideways.  It won't stop me going back there.  It's the friendliest welcome you get at any course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I've played it twice & it had the fastest early season greens I've ever played on.

I hit a fade so I found the 2nd to the 3rd hole difficult with nothing to hold on to.

The drive on the 7th is tough through a sea of gorse feeling for a fairway but the 2nd shot is the stuff of heart failure. 200+ yards with only a sliver of fairway & bulrushes all around.

The 11th was my favorite hole, absolutely faultless links hole.

The 12th, 13th & 15th are a bit alike due to their direction but the drama of the greens is pantomime. Who hasn't hit a few 100 footers from the back of the 12th or tried to slide one the width of the 13th when there's nobody following.

Admittedly the 16th, 17th & 18th feel a bit parkland but are all still good holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Do they still do the open comps on the weekend for 50 euro?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Do they still do the open comps on the weekend for 50 euro?

Think opens are €60

Advertisement