Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Vision - Vermin Control

• 18-10-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey Lads, looking at picking up a nv scope, specifically the photon xt 6.5x50, for my 22lr for vermin. Rabbits and foxes from 25-75 yards.

Now I know I need permission to have it from the super, like a moderator.

Does anyone or has anyone experience with nv, or the scope above?

Relpy or pm with any info

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

There grand for the money and ideal for 22lr there great at night with a decent ir torch but ****e in daylight I found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

This may sound a bit strange but what about a decent scope and use a night vision attachment ? It would still require the same authorisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Rifter

This may sound a bit strange but what about a decent scope and use a night vision attachment ? It would still require the same authorisation.

Price really is the drawback there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have to say that there are some combo packs out there of Russian NV monocular, head mount and rifle mount for under a grand , that are pretty damn good for their money.Would be more inclined to go that route, rather than a day night scope or dedicated NV scope.As you almost want to dedicate one rifle to a NV scope.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Have a look over on The Hunting Life forum, some good reviews over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Rifter wrote: »
    Price really is the drawback there!!

That's a fair point but an average nv attachment coupled with a decent scope will leave an entry level day/night setup for dust any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

I'm using the photon xt 6.5x50. Have been using it around 6 months. Use it on my 17 and my 22. It's a great piece of kit and its works perfectly in both day and night. I have had no issue using it during the day anyway.

But you can just use detachable mounts so if you already have a normal scope you like just switch them over when it suits you. But if someone is having trouble using the 6.50x50 during the day then they need to tweek its settings because it should be fine.

The older model Photon XT 4.6x42 was not ideal during the day but the newer models are just fine

Where did you but the XT Shane?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

I bought it from Optics Warehouse in the UK.

Optics warehouse don't have a export licence as of yet though so you would need an address in the North of Ireland or use a 3rd party parcel collect company to buy from them. But there are plenty of UK based sellers that can post to Ireland with no problems

But I would highly recommend optics warehouse if you can manage it though I had a small problem with the scope just after xmas and it was repaired and back to me in just a couple of days. And the problem was just a small issue nothing that should put you off getting it. Its a super piece of kit

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/yukon-photon-xt-6-5x50l-digital-night-vision-riflescope/

Thanks Shane, I know a dealer up North that would handle that no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement