Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prosecco mania

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd rather a prosecco hun over a gin wanker anyday of the week. God I hate them. Standing there with their fcuking fishbowls with green gunk floating in them. Everyone gets them these days. ''Oh it's got cucumber in it, so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, it's not. You're a wanker. Fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd rather a prosecco hun over a gin wanker anyday of the week. God I hate them. Standing there with their fcuking fishbowls with green gunk floating in them. Everyone gets them these days. ''Oh it's got cucumber in it, so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, it's not. You're a wanker. Fcuk off.

I was wondering why a hipster mate brought a bottle of gin to a party in mine the other night, I thought it was something only middle aged women drank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

. ''Oh it's got cucumber in it, so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, it's not. You're a wanker. Fcuk off.

What's the difference between being hungry and horny?
    Where you stick the cucumber:D

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was wondering why a hipster mate brought a bottle of gin to a party in mine the other night, I thought it was something only middle aged women drank.

It was, it definitely was, old ladies in golf clubs or auld biddies on Coronation Street. Now it's **** everywhere taking pictures of these cnuty things everywhere for Snapchat. Utter ****. ''What tonics do you?''. Get absolutely fcuked. You were giving hand shandies to blokes down alleyways last year after a few bottles of Blue WKD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

The old Shielas will be gamey Saturday night, plenty mutton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

guaranteed hangover off that p1sswater

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

o1s1n wrote: »

Gin whacks of middle aged women, day drinking and tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Expect mayhem as the country goes nuts, long queues, furious women -
    "Couldn't be more fuming that I sacrificed my Saturday sleep in for Lidl prosecco and they've sold out by 8.07" -

Now you're just being silly.

Sure they can't sell it til 10.30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The worst part about the gin craze is that it is essentially a scam.
    Gin is nothing more than low grade grain spirit (cheap vodka) which has had a few leaves and twigs floating in it for a while. This apparently turns it from a 20euro bottle of tesco value gut rot into a sophisticated 50euro bottle of artisan craftsmanship.

Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The important thing is you feel superior to them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

The hunz may as well take advantage of the deal while they can before minimum grog prices come in.

Thanks OP, you've made me made myself angry and now I've made a gin **** thread. Hope you're happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

either Aldi or Lidl can not remember which are going to have Chianti Classico on sale for 4.99 I would much rather have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't drink Prosecco so won't see you in Lidl OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

It was, it definitely was, old ladies in golf clubs or auld biddies on Coronation Street. Now it's **** everywhere taking pictures of these cnuty things everywhere for Snapchat. Utter ****. ''What tonics do you?''. Get absolutely fcuked. You were giving hand shandies to blokes down alleyways last year after a few bottles of Blue WKD.

But what if you've been drinking gin for 20 years. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How are the even selling it at that price? the excise duty alone on a bottle of sparkling wine is nearly a fiver.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How are the even selling it at that price? the excise duty alone on a bottle of sparkling wine is nearly a fiver.

In the UK?

beertons wrote: »
    In the UK?

the Op gave a price in euro so i assumed this was an irish offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Four Winds wrote: »
    But what if you've been drinking gin for 20 years. :(

Your have a problem then and need help.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I drink prosecco once a year while making Christmas dinner. That's not wanky is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Prossecco = women with strangely American accents and palates.
    Gin = man buns and rolling back and forth on some wierd peice of foam in the gym like a nob.
    In our new none gender descrimination world I hate them all equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Neyite wrote: »
    I drink prosecco once a year while making Christmas dinner. That's not wanky is it?

First we need to establish who the authority on what's wanky and what isn't. I don't think it's anyone on Boards though.

Once we do that we can discuss it further, but I say, enjoy your Prosecco.

Four Winds wrote: »
    First we need to establish who the authority on what's wanky and what isn't. I don't think it's anyone on Boards though.

Once we do that we can discuss it further, but I say, enjoy your Prosecco.

I do drink it in my PJ's. And usually start around lunchtime. I'd say that's chavvy enough of me to avoid being labelled a notiony hipster. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Before you rush to condemn Gin, dont forget its venerable history.

From Wikipedia:
    The Gin Craze was a period in the first half of the 18th century when the consumption of gin increased rapidly in Great Britain, especially in London. Daniel Defoe commented: ".... the Distillers have found out a way to hit the palate of the Poor, by their new fashion'd compound Waters called Geneva, so that the common People seem not to value the French-brandy as usual, and even not to desire it".[1] Many people overconsumed and the city had a virtual epidemic of extreme drunkenness; this provoked moral outrage and a legislative backlash that some compare to the modern drug wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

partial to a decent Prosecco myself.

That's not proper Prosecco though in that offer, it's cheap frizzante plonk that tastes just like sugared water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I’m afraid to ask what are you if your drinks are room temperature bud or flaming pig?

The excise duty on the one for sale is the same as a normal wine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

the Op gave a price in euro so i assumed this was an irish offer.

It will be
    mariaalice wrote: »
    either Aldi or Lidl can not remember which are going to have Chianti Classico on sale for 4.99 I would much rather have that.

Lidl last weekend just for sat and sun afaik

anewme wrote: »
    The excise duty on the one for sale is the same as a normal wine

It is a sparkling wine so will attract the higher excise rate.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx
    Still, exceeding 5.5% volume but not exceeding 15% volume
    €424.84 per hectolitre

Sparkling, exceeding 5.5% volume
    €849.68 per hectolitre

• Advertisement

It's a frizzante, so it's not classified as sparkling wine and attracts the lower duty.

http://www.wilsononwine.ie/pop-goes-prosecco-sparkling-alternatives-to-the-italian-favourite/

It's a frizzante, so it's not classified as sparkling wine and attracts the lower duty.

http://www.wilsononwine.ie/pop-goes-prosecco-sparkling-alternatives-to-the-italian-favourite/

Interesting. basically wine put through a sodastream. to be avoided i think.

I avoid those Screw cap ones like the plague, they really taste like sugared water with no fizz.

And as for "Prosecco" on tap in bars???

I avoid those Screw cap ones like the plague, they really taste like sugared water with no fizz.

And as for "Prosecco" on tap in bars???

I might settle for a decent NV champagne at a push.

I might settle for a decent NV champagne at a push.

Franciacorta all the way for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You know what prosecco and gin have in common?

I'd rather be sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm pretty sure that all prosecco is force carbonated. Not bottle fermented like Champagne or Cava.
    It's the level of carbonation that determines its duty classification, not the method of carbonation.
    Enjoy your sodastream "proper" Prosecco, anewme.

I'm pretty sure that all prosecco is force carbonated. Not bottle fermented like Champagne or Cava.
    It's the level of carbonation that determines its duty classification, not the method of carbonation.

AsI said above,I prefer to stick to the Franciacorta as a payday treat.

Not all Prosecco is carbonated. Some of it is produced by the same traditional method as Champagne.

read the link posted by anewme. it is educational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you are getting it in NI or the UK this is much nicer, and its a proper bottle fermented sparkling wine.

Jacob's Creek Sparkling Chardonnay Pinot Noir
    75cl
    Product Code: 478548

Price £7.48£7.48(£7.48 per 75c3)
    Add

https://groceries.asda.com/product/sparkling-wine/jacobs-creek-sparkling-chardonnay-pinot-noir/25837

I quite like the prosecco on offer tbh. Have had it before. Quite like an aul frizzante. Also, it's the fact that it's screw cap that allows it to be sold at that price. Corked prosecco/champagne comes with higher duty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

I quite like the prosecco on offer tbh. Have had it before. Quite like an aul frizzante. Also, it's the fact that it's screw cap that allows it to be sold at that price. Corked prosecco/champagne comes with higher duty.
    You going to be loitering around Lidl at 10:30 on the 28th then?

etselbbuns wrote: »
    You going to be loitering around Lidl at 10:30 on the 28th then?

Highly unlikely I would be free at that time on a Saturday morning, but if I am passing a Lidl in the afternoon and they have some left then I may well buy it.

I've a nice bottle of Limoncello I got as a gift that would go lovely in a glass of prosecco.

Highly unlikely I would be free at that time on a Saturday morning, but if I am passing a Lidl in the afternoon and they have some left then I may well buy it.

I've a nice bottle of Limoncello I got as a gift that would go lovely in a glass of prosecco.

I'm going to try that this year. How much do you put into a glass? a teaspoon /dash?

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm going to try that this year. How much do you put into a glass? a teaspoon /dash?

A small shot then the glass topped up with prosecco/champagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Thanks OP, you've made me made myself angry and now I've made a gin **** thread. Hope you're happy.

You do seem really, really passionate about this topic. Whats up with that?

RWCNT wrote: »
    You do seem really, really passionate about this topic. Whats up with that?

apparently theres a drink not sure of the name, that has both Gin and Prosecco! Double whammy!

Id say there will be queues miles long!

Id say there will be queues miles long!

Imagine all the badly parked SUVs in Lidl that day :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

everything is just blown over the top nowadays

gin - its a cheap drink with alcohol. get over yourself.

prosecco - cheap version of champagne. get over yerselves

Advertisement