Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying PL Tickets

• 18-10-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I hope this is not a stupid question.

I have brought my sons (11 and 9) to LOI and FAI Cup matches as well as Euro and WC qualifiers. They have never been to a PL match and I would love to bring them as a surprise. They do not support any particular team but I would like to bring them to see a Top 6 club, since I will be spending so much money on a once-off basis.

My question is this: Is it possible to buy tickets (ideally well in advance but late availability if necessary) for a Big 6 PL home match without being in a supporters club or being connected in any way to the club? Any (weekend) match will do me, between now and the end of the season, so home matches with Palace, Leic, Bourn etc. would be fine. Are these matches always sold out?

Also: are children's tickets available for these matches or will I have to buy full-price tickets for the lads?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Spurs is very easy this season with games at Wembley that don't sell out.
    Tickets for the game v Bournemouth last Saturday were still on general sale at £30 in the days before the game.
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tickets/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I hope this is not a stupid question.

I have brought my sons (11 and 9) to LOI and FAI Cup matches as well as Euro and WC qualifiers. They have never been to a PL match and I would love to bring them as a surprise. They do not support any particular team but I would like to bring them to see a Top 6 club, since I will be spending so much money on a once-off basis.

My question is this: Is it possible to buy tickets (ideally well in advance but late availability if necessary) for a Big 6 PL home match without being in a supporters club or being connected in any way to the club? Any (weekend) match will do me, between now and the end of the season, so home matches with Palace, Leic, Bourn etc. would be fine. Are these matches always sold out?

Also: are children's tickets available for these matches or will I have to buy full-price tickets for the lads?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

I would second Spurs purely as they are the handiest to get
    But for pure atmosphere you should look at a Liverpool game in Anfield, might be a bit harder but i'm sure you could get tickets for one of the smaller games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Spurs is very easy this season with games at Wembley that don't sell out.
    Tickets for the game v Bournemouth last Saturday were still on general sale at £30 in the days before the game.
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tickets/

Yeah, Spurs seems like a good option. The only problem (from looking at the website) is that I would need to sign the 3 of us up to memberships to buy advance tickets - this would add considerably to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I’d highly recommend City. Once they’re not playing a big team, you can pick up tickets no problem. Also means you could take in the Old Trafford tour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

irishman86 wrote: »
    I would second Spurs purely as they are the handiest to get
    But for pure atmosphere you should look at a Liverpool game in Anfield, might be a bit harder but i'm sure you could get tickets for one of the smaller games

I don't know if this is a joke?

• Advertisement

I don't know if this is a joke?

:confused: uh ... you realise they play away from Anfield around 50% of the time right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

You looking to fly in and out the same day or stay overnight? Plenty of places do package deals.. Tickets, flights, accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, Spurs seems like a good option. The only problem (from looking at the website) is that I would need to sign the 3 of us up to memberships to buy advance tickets - this would add considerably to the cost.

Fairly sure you are wrong here and are looking too far ahead at games which aren't yet on general sale (i.e., that aren't yet selling to the unwashed masses).
    They only go on general sale about 4 or 5 weeks before the game, and you just need to register one free account to buy tickets for all your travelling party.
    Maybe browse the Spurs v Palace game in early November which is now on general sale to get an idea of the process/prices/availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

eh i dunno wrote: »
    You looking to fly in and out the same day or stay overnight? Plenty of places do package deals.. Tickets, flights, accommodation

They're a rip off. If going to London or Manchester for Spurs or City, you can easily save hundreds and/or time travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I bought Liverpool tickets straight off the Liverpool website before . No need to sign up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

PhilipsR wrote: »
    They're a rip off. If going to London or Manchester for Spurs or City, you can easily save hundreds and/or time travelling.

Can be expensive but keep an eye for late deals close to kick off or cancellations.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I’d highly recommend City. Once they’re not playing a big team, you can pick up tickets no problem. Also means you could take in the Old Trafford tour.

I would LOVE to catch a City match!!
    eh i dunno wrote: »

Not same day, probably make a weekend of it, especially if going to London. Would have expected a package deal to be much more expensive than something I organise myself.
    I bought Liverpool tickets straight off the Liverpool website before . No need to sign up

Can you buy them well in advance or is it strictly within a couple of weeks of the match? Liverpool could be handy - direct flights from Cork with Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

:confused: uh ... you realise they play away from Anfield around 50% of the time right

I think their point is that, for your average Prem match, the atmosphere at Anfield is often fairly rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I would LOVE to catch a City match!!

Not same day, probably make a weekend of it, especially if going to London. Would have expected a package deal to be much more expensive than something I organise myself.

Can you buy them well in advance or is it strictly within a couple of weeks of the match? Liverpool could be handy - direct flights from Cork with Ryanair.

You won't get Liverpool tickets from the club unless you have a membership for each person,anyway all Liverpool home games went on sale end of July and are sold out till the new year,tickets for all home games in the new year will go on sale in November I think but would normally be sold out in a few hrs,you basically get 2 chances to buy home tickets for anfield,once in July and once in november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Go onto the Liverpool tickets forum and ask if anyone has spare tickets for any games,there's usually quite a few spare floating about from lads who can't make certain games but have the tickets,tell them you want to bring your boys,you might get lucky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Anfield is shocking for atmosphere, Was fans with half and half scarves, fellas shaking hands with Jose in their biggest game of the season (club they hate and vice versa) nothing to do with playing half their games away from home!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

City will be handy for u, might need to register but shouldnt cost anything. flights in on city weekends are usually cheaper but u can fly into likes of birmingham and train it handy on a day trip. City kids tickets are cheap too.

U could couple this with a trip around stadium or old trafford or even better imo is the football museum in manchester city centre, its free and loads of things to do for kids, interactove games etc etc.

Everton don't sell out a lot of games afaik. You won't see much quality on show though.

City seem to have a lot of empty seats over the past few years too. Might be another option.

The PL isn't great for atmosphere on the whole. Too many plastic fans. Roy Keane had a good point back in the day.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Everton don't sell out a lot of games afaik. You won't see much quality on show though.

City seem to have a lot of empty seats over the past few years too. Might be another option.

If it's Everton or City, I know which option I'd prefer! :D

Will look into City matches this weekend and report back.

Anfield is shocking for atmosphere, Was fans with half and half scarves, fellas shaking hands with Jose in their biggest game of the season (club they hate and vice versa) nothing to do with playing half their games away from home!)

You could say that with any team though
    Millwall/Westham it is :pac:

• Advertisement

Will look into City matches this weekend and report back.

Update: All sorted!! City was possible but the flights (Aer Lingus) were very expensive (€500 for the 3 of us) and I felt that, if we went to London we could do sight-seeing/London Eye/Madame Tussauds etc. as well as the match and make a real weekend out of it.

Of the London clubs, I've been to Chelsea and Arsenal (when they played at Highbury!) before and I knew the lads would love to go to Wembley - as I would myself - so Spurs was the obvious choice. I registered on the website and was immediately able to buy tickets that were on General Sale. I decided on the West Brom match (25th Nov) and bought 3 good tickets (there were cheaper tix available but further back) in area 119, if anyone is interested. They cost £40 for me and £16 each for the 2 children + £10.50 booking fee, so a total of £82.50. Thought this was very reasonable!

I booked flights from Cork-Stansted return for €125 altogether, leaving Friday at 10.25 and returning Monday at 12.20. Needless to say the boys will be delighted to have 2 days off school!

Haven't booked accommodation yet but there are lots of options available, all of them very expensive!

Really looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s very reasonable pricing for a Prem League match, especially for home team tickets.

Enjoy

Nice one enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Update: All sorted!! City was possible but the flights (Aer Lingus) were very expensive (€500 for the 3 of us) and I felt that, if we went to London we could do sight-seeing/London Eye/Madame Tussauds etc. as well as the match and make a real weekend out of it.

Of the London clubs, I've been to Chelsea and Arsenal (when they played at Highbury!) before and I knew the lads would love to go to Wembley - as I would myself - so Spurs was the obvious choice. I registered on the website and was immediately able to buy tickets that were on General Sale. I decided on the West Brom match (25th Nov) and bought 3 good tickets (there were cheaper tix available but further back) in area 119, if anyone is interested. They cost £40 for me and £16 each for the 2 children + £10.50 booking fee, so a total of £82.50. Thought this was very reasonable!

I booked flights from Cork-Stansted return for €125 altogether, leaving Friday at 10.25 and returning Monday at 12.20. Needless to say the boys will be delighted to have 2 days off school!

Haven't booked accommodation yet but there are lots of options available, all of them very expensive!

Really looking forward to it now!

Good stuff, great choice :)

Just from experience the Premier Inn at Tottenham Hale is a very good hotel. It is new and right across the road from Tottenham Hale Station. The Stansted express stops at this station and also from here you have access to the tube network all over London. I am not sure what the price would be like but worth checking IMO.

I am a Spurs season ticket holder and will be at this game also, Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Will be a nice trip for your young lads OP. Don't know why people were telling you to go to Anfield. Anfield, Old Trafford and the Emirates were all equally awful when it comes to match day atmosphere. I've been to a good few PL grounds down the years and WHL was the best out of the top sides. Not sure what the atmosphere will be like at Wembley though.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Just from experience the Premier Inn at Tottenham Hale is a very good hotel. It is new and right across the road from Tottenham Hale Station. The Stansted express stops at this station and also from here you have access to the tube network all over London. I am not sure what the price would be like but worth checking IMO.

Thanks for the advice but I would prefer to pay a bit more and stay in central London. The Stansted Express ends at Victoria Station and I am looking at accommodation in the Kensington/Gloucester Road/Earl's Court areas nearby. We can then walk around Hyde Park on the Friday after we check-in and see Buck House, Big Ben, London Eye etc. on the Sunday when we will have lots of time. Loads of options available, depending on how much you want to spend.

Advertisement