Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Geography Syllabus

Options
  • 18-10-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Anyone had a look at the new JC Geography syllabus.
    http://curriculumonline.ie/Junior-cycle/Junior-Cycle-Subjects/Geography
    As a non-geography teacher I'm a bit intrigued. It looks much more detailed (to my inexperienced eye) than the hand-wavey "specification" we got for Science. (Which apparently requires each individual department of science teachers in the country to "unpack" the leaning outcomes and decide on depth of treatment without a clue whether they're doing it right or not.) Also I see Geography has maintained HL and OL exams which I didn't think was being considered for subjects outside of English/Irish/Maths.
    Any geography teachers (with more informed opinions than mine)? Or irate science teachers who want to calculate the JCT en masse for a good old whinge!!ðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

m*pp*t wrote: »
    As a non-geography teacher I'm a bit intrigued. It looks much more detailed (to my inexperienced eye) than the hand-wavey "specification" we got for Science. (Which apparently requires each individual department of science teachers in the country to "unpack" the leaning outcomes and decide on depth of treatment without a clue whether they're doing it right or not.) Also I see Geography has maintained HL and OL exams which I didn't think was being considered for subjects outside of English/Irish/Maths.
    Any geography teachers (with more informed opinions than mine)? Or irate science teachers who want to calculate the JCT en masse for a good old whinge!!ðŸ˜

That has junior "certificate" written all over is it, as in literally the word certificate instead of cycle! Can I make an assumption that it's not the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

m*pp*t wrote: »

Think you may have clicked on the Junior Cert Syllabus instead of the new Specification. The Junior Cert Syllabus is still there because it applies to all students currently in 1st-3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Jamfa wrote: »
    Think you may have clicked on the Junior Cert Syllabus instead of the new Specification. The Junior Cert Syllabus is still there because it applies to all students currently in 1st-3rd year.

Ah right, that makes sense. I thought when I clicked it it said it was due to be examined in 2020 but I obviously must-read something. I thought it didn't make sense not having a common level paper.

It says examined for the final time in 2020. I'm a donkey. Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

It says will be examined for the LAST time in 2020, that caught me out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Sorry mods, feel free to delete this thread so that geography teachers can start their own proper one if they like (and not be distracted by my inability to read.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Advertisement