Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 star Michelin restaurant

• 18-10-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have eaten in a Michelin star restaurant but not a 3 star one, had a look at one when on holiday but though of better ways of spending 400/500 euro and that's for lunch. Has anyone here eaten in a 3 star Michelin restaurant and what did you think of the experience.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've eaten in Eleven Madison Park https://www.elevenmadisonpark.com/

Best food I've ever eaten.

When the staff found out we were on honeymoon, they gave us a private demonstration in the kitchen, and made us some delicious cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

€25 for a steak is the most i will pay for a main course anywhere. So i wouldn't even eat in a michelin 1 star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would prefer a good carvery and a few pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Seems a little bit crass to talk about Michelin * restaurants when some people are still barely getting by, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I suspect people are not just going for the food its an 'experience'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Seems a little bit crass to talk about Michelin * restaurants when some people are still barely getting by, in my opinion.

Ah Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

5 star Bridgestone.

I win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I always come back from a carvery with an ache in my stomach from making a pig of myself

I have barred myself from them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

And don't forget the starving kids in Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have eaten in a 2 Star (Guilbauds) and found it hard to justify the extra cost compared to a 1 Star like Chapter One or Thorntons (now closed).

Service/Food was excellent but didnt have any wow factor compared to the above mentioned.

Fr_Dougal wrote:

It's seems a bit crass for you to comment on a message board when there are people who can't get on the Internet in North Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

backspin. wrote: »
    €25 for a steak is the most i will pay for a main course anywhere. So i wouldn't even eat in a michelin 1 star.

I read in the paper at the weekend that you can get a 3 course meal for €39.99 in Chapter One during the week and it has 1 star.

So they are not all expensive.

I'm sure that pub in Clare that got one recently isn't too expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Went to a couple of Michelin 1 star restaurants, one was an Indian, fantastic food and a decent price too, but for myself to spend 500 yoyo's on a meal would be madness. That's a day's pay ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Ye won't need feeding after taking that bait anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It doesn't have to be 3 star to drop 400 or 500 a sitting..

Generally worth every penny, the whole experience is just amazing and worth it as a treat every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

mariaalice wrote: »
    I suspect people are not just going for the food its an 'experience'.

Yup. Having your bank account drained for food you’re not even sure what it is, and heading straight to Burger King afterwards is some experience alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Went to a couple of Michelin 1 star restaurants, one was an Indian, fantastic food and a decent price too, but for myself to spend 500 yoyo's on a meal would be madness. That's a day's pay ffs.

Earning over 100k a year you can certainly afford it

Based on what? Income alone? Silly to ignore other variables.

500 for one meal while on 100K a year is stupid.

People here think 100K a year is this holy grail, like super wealthy. It's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Based on what? Income alone? Silly to ignore other variables.

500 for one meal while on 100K a year is stupid.

People here think 100K a year is this holy grail, like super wealthy. It's not even close.

A big enough figure to stealth boast about all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

and heading straight to Burger King afterwards is some experience alright

Stupid post, utter ignorance.

Eat a 5 course tasting menu in Chapter One and you'd be absolutely stuffed, the food is extremely rich so portions are small.

Stupid post, utter ignorance.

Eat a 5 course tasting menu in Chapter One and you'd be absolutely stuffed, the food is extremely rich so portions are small.

Genuinely, what does rich mean when it comes to food? I thought it meant heavy like a big chocolate cake you would buy for €2.

That is the other thing how much of the world is wealthy enough to eat at restaurants like that regularly. The world is getting wealthier.

nocoverart wrote: »
    A big enough figure to stealth boast about all the same.

The joke obviously went over your head ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

That's more than a weeks pay for most of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

https://www.waterside-inn.co.uk/

3 stars and very much an experience, Michel Roux Snr came out to say hello, probably a once off, but never say never

Eaten in a few 1 star places too, mostly very very good incluing Loam in Galway, which was especially tasty, but actually the best food I've ever eaten was here

http://www.thetestkitchen.co.za/home/

No stars but regularly in the worlds top 50 restaurants since it opened and genuinely jaw droppingly good food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

peeflynn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Stop getting offended on behalf of others.

My family is barely getting by and we've been to a Michelin restaurant (not recently). I wasn't that impressed by the food but it was a unique experience.

rawn wrote: »
    That's more than a weeks pay for most of us!

Begone! Peasants!
    dav3 wrote: »
    peeflynn.jpg

20 years ago, and he's talking about 140K per year. Different figures, different times.

100K today is not phenomenal cash. I don't know what I would do with it all, but it's nothing special to be honest.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever have truffles on their dish? Crazy expensive but supposed to be amazing.

I think they're in season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

100K today is not phenomenal cash. I don't know what I would do with it all, but it's nothing special to be honest.

I hear ya, I don't know how some people could manage on only 3 times the average industrial wage, give or take a few grand.
    If you're not eating Michelin star food at least once a week you've failed in life.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Anyone ever have truffles on their dish? Crazy expensive but supposed to be amazing.

I think they're in season again.

They can be quite nice, but I don't think they are worth the price. Penne pasta with cocktail tomatoes and some truffle oil is lovely, throw on some Parmesan cheese and you're sorted.
    dav3 wrote: »
    I hear ya, I don't know how some people could manage on only 3 times the average industrial wage, give or take a few grand.
    If you're not eating Michelin star food at least once a week you've failed in life.

Well i don't think anybody said they would just get by on 100K a year, not yet anyway :P There are some people who are struggling due to their lifestyle choices and possible through buying a house for a very inflated price. I know i'd manage just fine on it. Actually, i'd probably be dead in a few years from overindulgence :P

I have eaten in Chapter One and while it was nice certainly wasn't a wow experience. It's so subjective. The last place that really impressed me with their food was Mulligans in Stoneybatter. I had a lamb burger with massive chunky chips and thought it was just gorgeous. I prefer the easy going nature of those kind of places. In saying that I would like to experience a place like Eleven Madison Park.

They can be quite nice, but I don't think they are worth the price. Penne pasta with cocktail tomatoes and some truffle oil is lovely, throw on some Parmesan cheese and you're sorted.

Is the oil more widely available or less expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's an oxymoron.

Anybody who considers a carvery to be the height of good food is never going to enjoy fine dining in a Michelin starred restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

While its obviously not super rich its clearly above the vast majority of the population, you do acknowledge that right?

~€5,000 per month net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's hit and miss, mostly hit though
    But no food is worth €150 in taste, give me a good Indian or Thai any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I read in the paper at the weekend that you can get a 3 course meal for €39.99 in Chapter One during the week and it has 1 star.
    That sounds great, I fancy a bit of that. Is there a dress code or will anything reasonably tidy do?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Is the oil more widely available or less expensive?

Just googled. $125 for a small bottle.

Think I'll stick with me hoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's an oxymoron.

Anybody who considers a carvery to be the height of good food is never going to enjoy fine dining in a Michelin starred restaurant.

Poster never said it was the height of good food, just that he'd prefer a good quality carvery over a 3 Star.

One of the best meals I've ever had in my life was on a first date wit ha then GF. It was a bag of fish and chips that e ate siting in the car, in the driving rain on a pier watching the sea. I knew she liked me and that's what always sticks in my mind.

So there's a lot of factors into enjoying a good meal and it doesn't always mean the restaurant being expensive or having Michelin stars. It's a ll very subjective really.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote:
    Just googled. $125 for a small bottle.

I work for a fine food supplier, we sell a 250ml bottle for around €26. I'm sure you could find it for the roughly the same price in stores

I work for a fine food supplier, we sell a 250ml bottle for around €26. I'm sure you could find it for the roughly the same price in stores

Interesting. It must have been the particular brand I chose. I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

does it actually contain any truffle or is it just truffle flavour?

Good question! I'll find out in work, I'm curious now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

Myself and the OH have gone to a Michelin star restaurant twice. Between us we dont even come close to 100k per year.

Deals are available every now and again! We went to l'Ecrivain and the service is special, the food is gorgeous and we ended up sh*t faced and fell out the door. It's an experience and one thats a bit of fun if you really like your food (and drink)

It's the same as a concert ticket or match ticket and they all last the same amount of time but at least im full of food and drink after this one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

It can be either. You can make truffle oil by pouring olive oil over truffles in a glass jar/bottle and storing for a while and the flavor of the truffles will infuse the oil giving it a lovely taste.

Like wise you can put truffles into a plastic bucket with eggs, put the lid on and store. The eggs will take on the truffle taste. Best scrambled egg you will ever have. Have it with some toasted Brioche and butter :)

Truffles are expensive, but when you are working with them you get bits that break off, so sometimes these bits might be added to the oil or scrambled eggs or sauces to give it a little extra taste and of course price of the dish can increase.

kg703 wrote: »
    Myself and the OH have gone to a Michelin star restaurant twice. Between us we dont even come close to 100k per year.

Deals are available every now and again! We went to l'Ecrivain and the service is special, the food is gorgeous and we ended up sh*t faced and fell out the door. It's an experience and one thats a bit of fun if you really like your food (and drink)

It's the same as a concert ticket or match ticket and they all last the same amount of time but at least im full of food and drink after this one ;)

For a treat its a great idea, but the 3 Mitchell star restaurants of which there is none in Ireland are in a different league. I was just wondering what is the difference when they go from a 1 star to a 3 star besides the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I've gone to 2 3* Michelin restaurants

1 was Massimo Buttora's Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy a few weeks before they won the best restaurant in the word title.

The other was Paul Bocuse's restaurant on the outskirts of Lyon.
    I've also been to one 2* and a host of 1*s

Massimo's was sublime. Seriously cutting edge food. I didn't particularly like the restaurant in terms of style. Too muted without any fun, but the food and drinks were unarguably fantastic. We had the biggest tasting menu with drinks pairing, something lie 13 courses.

The restaurant in Lyon was much more fun. Food was much simpler and more homely though unquestionably sensationally prepared. Clearly not as "good" a restaurant in the critic-sense, but we enjoyed it more overall. We didn't feel the need to talk in almost hushed tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It can be either. You can make truffle oil by pouring olive oil over truffles in a glass jar/bottle and storing for a while and the flavor of the truffles will infuse the oil giving it a lovely taste.

Like wise you can put truffles into a plastic bucket with eggs, put the lid on and store. The eggs will take on the truffle taste. Best scrambled egg you will ever have. Have it with some toasted Brioche and butter :)

Truffles are expensive, but when you are working with them you get bits that break off, so sometimes these bits might be added to the oil or scrambled eggs or sauces to give it a little extra taste and of course price of the dish can increase.

what i meant was is the oil actually made with truffles or is it just olive oil with an artificial truffle flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sometimes you can't put a price on memories and experiences.

It depends on the person.

Some people are content looking back on their death bed having shared an Indian and a pint with their loved ones.

Some people want to look back and have that experience of something extraordinary, a moment lost in a lifetime that when recalled brings joy and a smile.

Personally, I ate at a 2 star before, on a recent work outing, best food I've ever experienced in a setting ill cherish for the rest of my life. However, would I have paid for it myself....probably not, experiencing it has changed my mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement