Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 star Michelin restaurant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Really want to taste a truffle now!

Here is some truffle flavoured olive oil in Tesco.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292974500

I'm not convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Aniar in Galway has one star and I've eaten there once. I thought it was amazing. I can't afford the 2/3 star ones to be honest plus most of them you have book months and months in advance which isn't practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Really want to taste a truffle now!

Here is some truffle flavoured olive oil in Tesco.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292974500

I'm not convinced.

The taste is kind of overpowering you can feel it in your teeth and your mouth starts to water its hard to explain a taste it is very nice but its contextual its going to taste different if you are having it in some stunning hilltop village in Tuscany and you sitting there with the love of you life knowing you are going to have a fabulous evening of food wine and sex.

I haven't been to any michelin star at all. I would have been skeptical about how good could it be, until I went to monart, the food there was unreal. I must try one out sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have eaten in a Michelin star restaurant but not a 3 star one, had a look at one when on holiday but though of better ways of spending 400/500 euro and that's for lunch. Has anyone here eaten in a 3 star Michelin restaurant and what did you think of the experience.

where did anyone pay 500 euro for lunch, I would not and could not afford to pay that for dinner, steak is steak, all chefs are well trained to cook brilliant meals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The taste is kind of overpowering you can feel it in your teeth and your mouth starts to water its hard to explain a taste it is very nice but its contextual its going to taste different if you are having it in some stunning hilltop village in Tuscany and you sitting there with the love of you life knowing you are going to have a fabulous evening of food wine and sex.

How will it taste if I'm about to watch Judge Judy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

bluewolf wrote: »
    I haven't been to any michelin star at all. I would have been skeptical about how good could it be, until I went to monart, the food there was unreal. I must try one out sometime

The food at Monart doesn't come close to Michelin standard. I've gone there 4-5 times and eaten in the restaurant each time (not the garden lounge).

If you like the food at Monart you will love a good Michelin restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

MadYaker wrote: »
    Aniar in Galway has one star and I've eaten there once. I thought it was amazing. I can't afford the 2/3 star ones to be honest plus most of them you have book months and months in advance which isn't practical.

I ate there last month and was very impressed. I really enjoyed it. I ate in Chapter one about 6 or 7 years ago, but didn't enjoy it at the time. My eating habits were a lot more plain at that time though!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    How will it taste if I'm about to watch Judge Judy?

are you on you own?

Imagine, that deep musky fragrance of a brand-new leather jacket. Now add garlic. Not raw or roasted but just softened slowly and lovingly in a whole heap of butter. Finally, yes, OK, they’re a bit mushroomy but on the rich, damp, autumn leaves side of things, not that forgotten jar of dried porcini.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-do-truffles-taste

Found that online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

enda1 wrote: »
    I've gone to 2 3* Michelin restaurants

1 was Massimo Buttora's Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy a few weeks before they won the best restaurant in the word title.

The other was Paul Bocuse's restaurant on the outskirts of Lyon.
    I've also been to one 2* and a host of 1*s

Massimo's was sublime. Seriously cutting edge food. I didn't particularly like the restaurant in terms of style. Too muted without any fun, but the food and drinks were unarguably fantastic. We had the biggest tasting menu with drinks pairing, something lie 13 courses.

The restaurant in Lyon was much more fun. Food was much simpler and more homely though unquestionably sensationally prepared. Clearly not as "good" a restaurant in the critic-sense, but we enjoyed it more overall. We didn't feel the need to talk in almost hushed tones.

You could have at least told us how much it cost ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

goat2 wrote: »
    I would not and could not afford to pay that for dinner, steak is steak, all chefs are well trained to cook brilliant meals

Nonsense, GTFO you peasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not done three stars yet but wan't it to be Alinea when I do.

Myself and the Mrs flew to London, stayed over, and ate in Dinner by Heston for cheaper than our bill was in Guilbaud's. It was also way better. Service was all over the shop in Guilbaud's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Gonad wrote: »
    You could have at least told us how much it cost ?

How much what cost? They don't have mystery prices, have a google and you'll ind out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not really a big foody myself so paying that much for a dinner is not my thing (although I'll do it with my wife sometimes as she is) but most people have things they like enough to not care about 'value' so why not food if that's what they're into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Anyone who compares eating in a Michelin star restaurant to just going out for dinner is missing the point of them. They're a whole experience (the Michelin part isn't required for it, but it's a good indication).

A meal at a Michelin star restaurant might cost more than a dinner in a normal one followed by a theatre trip / concert, but the evening's dining is the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

zuutroy wrote: »
    Not done three stars yet but wan't it to be Alinea when I do.

Just read a bit of the site.

Immediately noticed that they have a 'multi-sensory 16-to-18 course menu.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

That sounds great, I fancy a bit of that. Is there a dress code or will anything reasonably tidy do?

Neat and tidy is grand in there. I wouldn't wear a football top now :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I love good quality and special or unusual food, but the best meals I have had werent in the couple of Michelin Star places I have visited. I'd much rather an informal and relaxed place where you can chat to the staff and maybe have a drink after hours with them and talk about food and drink

Personally Id check out the Bib Gourmand or similar lists for top class food in gastropubs and the like. For example, I recently ate in The Batch Loaf in Monaghan Town, fairly new by all accounts and no endorsements I could see except the local recommendations, but the meal was one of the nicest Ive had in a few years, all for €130 for 2 including wine and cocktails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

For excellent value Sussey Street on Fitzwilliam Place has an excellent Friday night supper deal.

€79 for two which includes a 3 course meal each and a bottle of wine (between you). Food is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

goat2 wrote: »
    where did anyone pay 500 euro for lunch, I would not and could not afford to pay that for dinner, steak is steak, all chefs are well trained to cook brilliant meals

Do you think steak is the ultimate in food?

Eaten a few times in a Michelin star and never had steak.

Do you really think a Sirloin Steak in a pub would the same meal as fillet steak in a Michelin star establishment.

Do you really think a carvery chef has the same skill, training and experience as a Michelin level chef?

It's a bit like drivers. I can drive a car but would have no idea how to drive a motorbike, truck or bus. Different skills required completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I was given about 10kgs of excellent truffles a few years ago, we added them to a lot of various meals and gave them away to friends, I really couldn't say why people find them so amazing. And i seriously cant understand how a burger with truffles and gold can be worth 1100 Euros.
    36113184253_346674e4cc.jpg

Just read a bit of the site.

Immediately noticed that they have a 'multi-sensory 16-to-18 course menu.'

Check out the dessert:

295dDMt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was just looking at the menu in Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud in Dublin, which has 2 Michelin stars, and I'd find it hard of order anything I might like, although I am a bit of a philistine when it comes to food. I won't even eat cheese or pasta or eggs or peas or mushrooms or lettuce or cucumber. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Check out the dessert:
    Eh, I think they dropped it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Has anyone here eaten in a 3 star Michelin restaurant and what did you think of the experience.

I've eaten a few curry cheese chips from a 1987 chip van with 3 Michelin tyres and 1 Bridgestone. Does that count?

dilallio wrote: »
    I've eaten a few curry cheese chips from a 1987 chip van with 3 Michelin tyres and 1 Bridgestone. Does that count?

only if you have a tyre fetish.

Some of the menus are weird. Like they all seem to include foie gras. Why would anyone ever want to eat that =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Eh, I think they dropped it...
    Yeah or they couldn't afford a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's an oxymoron.

Anybody who considers a carvery to be the height of good food is never going to enjoy fine dining in a Michelin starred restaurant.

I enjoy both.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Some of the menus are weird. Like they all seem to include foie gras. Why would anyone ever want to eat that =/

The notion of Michelin stars comes from the Michelin guide which was basically a guidebook for people taking road trips in France. For that reason, French style cooking has always had a better success rate at getting stars around the world. Foie gras is a classic French delicacy and it will feature in a big way for anyone who trains under a French chef. It's obviously fairly grim the way it's produced, but it's bloody delicious!

500 is a lot for a meal. On the other hand it’s less than the increase in rent in the last few years in parts of Dublin. My mortgage is about 500 less than rent would be I estimate. That’s a Michelin 3 starred meal a month I could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm fascinated by that dessert!

How do they produce it? Do they construct it on the table in front of you after they've cleared away your main course plates? Or ask you to leave the room like at a wedding so the band (dessert) can be set up? Or bring a giant table-sized board with it pre-prepared from the kitchen?

Looks delicious though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Stupid post, utter ignorance.

Eat a 5 course tasting menu in Chapter One and you'd be absolutely stuffed, the food is extremely rich so portions are small.

I did eat in chapter one before. The portions are small. Certainly not stuffed afterwards

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you think steak is the ultimate in food?

Eaten a few times in a Michelin star and never had steak.

Do you really think a Sirloin Steak in a pub would the same meal as fillet steak in a Michelin star establishment.

Do you really think a carvery chef has the same skill, training and experience as a Michelin level chef?

It's a bit like drivers. I can drive a car but would have no idea how to drive a motorbike, truck or bus. Different skills required completely.

Yes but you don’t eat Michelin starred food everyday do you? So somewhere between a carvery and a Michelin starred restaurant is where we would find you. As to why carveries are worse than any other average restaurant, that’s never explained.

I was just looking at the menu in Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud in Dublin, which has 2 Michelin stars, and I'd find it hard of order anything I might like, although I am a bit of a philistine when it comes to food. I won't even eat cheese or pasta or eggs or peas or mushrooms or lettuce or cucumber. :pac:

I had the taster menu there. It was pretty good. Service is amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I was given about 10kgs of excellent truffles a few years ago, we added them to a lot of various meals and gave them away to friends, I really couldn't say why people find them so amazing. And i seriously cant understand how a burger with truffles and gold can be worth 1100 Euros.

Where are these fools getting parted from 5000 for a burger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Check out the dessert:

295dDMt.jpg

Looks like a f*cking board game. State of it.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Looks like a f*cking board game. State of it.

Sorry? Yez broke dis dessert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Each to their own I reckon.

Was in P Guilbaulds for a celebration lunch. It was grand, but I felt a bit out of place. I don't know how to explain it. Food was good, ambience good, service excellent, but it was a little bit, I don't know, toffee nosed. There were a lot of corporate types there all sucking up to the boss, doing deals. You know what I mean.

Anyway, not knocking the stars or anything. But I prefer cheap and cheerful and a noisy fun atmposphere. I know that is not verboten in these places, but it can be awkward.

Is it just me? Probably is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

^ pic above is what i imagine all food looks in 3* places, id prob starve the portions when you look online the reviews is like for a 3yr old.

basically your pain to get 10 ounce some bollox meat that was put into plastic bag soaked in boiling water ,dripped with some oil and bazil and blown some artificial firewood smoke onto it :cool: with a dribble of some fanes squirt.

look up cooking in nature on youtube that stuff is like 10 stars compared to most micheling crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That a la carte menu looks fantastic. the lunch menu not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

dilallio wrote: »

Yes it does count. I hope you took photos of the meals and shared with fellow foodies on social media.
    What drinks did u pair with the food. I find a crisp chilled lucozade really complements the curry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Look.....when you cook like a 3 star michelan chef like I do.....no need to go and pay that money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

smurfjed wrote: »

10kg of truffles are worth roughly 9,500 euros. Pretty nice gift!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

I've tried 1 and 2 stars which were both excellent but not a 3 star yet. Should be amazing, but be warned, in their quest to outdo themselves, experiments such as 'spherification' are risky and will not be to everyone's tastes.

Here is that legendary review of a 3 star that includes such wonders as:
    Other things are the stuff of therapy. The canapé we are instructed to eat first is a transparent ball on a spoon. It looks like a Barbie-sized silicone breast implant, and is a “spherification”, a gel globe using a technique perfected by Ferran Adrià at El Bulli about 20 years ago. This one pops in our mouth to release stale air with a tinge of ginger. My companion winces. “It’s like eating a condom that’s been left lying about in a dusty greengrocer’s,” she says.
    Full review here (well worth a read):
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/09/le-cinq-paris-restaurant-review-jay-rayner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by that dessert!

How do they produce it? Do they construct it on the table in front of you after they've cleared away your main course plates? Or ask you to leave the room like at a wedding so the band (dessert) can be set up? Or bring a giant table-sized board with it pre-prepared from the kitchen?

Looks delicious though!

Seriously, can anyone answer this for me???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Seriously, can anyone answer this for me???

It's just a very large pane of glass that they decorate the desert on and then put on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Personally, no food is worth dropping that money on. Just not for me. It’s just food. I’m going to L’Ecrivain next month but with the help of a voucher.

There was some pretentious twaddle on a social media site about the best lunch in Dublin, anyway someone keep spaming the site with reviews of chicken fillet roles and when to find the cheapest chicken fillet role it was very funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement