Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 star Michelin restaurant

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

All this chat of 1 and 3 stars, you's are nothing but peasants, there a 4 star down the road from me.
    Pizza always comes within 25 minutes or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Anyone who's not convinced, book the chefs table at Chapter One with matching wines and thank me later.
    One of the best nights out you could have in Dublin for the same price as a heavy night on the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

The subtle nuances of deconstructed hemoglobin globules permeating marbling evokes visceral naval eloquence tantamount to salivating perpetuated by gristle delivers the quintessential test of forbearance to which maceration and delivery to the gut is the only logical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I can't stand inverted food snobbery. Usually coming form ***** that spend 5-10 grand a year on booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yes but you don’t eat Michelin starred food everyday do you? So somewhere between a carvery and a Michelin starred restaurant is where we would find you. As to why carveries are worse than any other average restaurant, that’s never explained.

Until it’s most recent refurb, The Savoy Grill was a Michelin starred carvery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

bluewolf wrote: »
    Some of the menus are weird. Like they all seem to include foie gras. Why would anyone ever want to eat that =/

Tastes lovely

So it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yes, I’ve eaten at the bridge house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Seems a little bit crass to talk about Michelin * restaurants when some people are still barely getting by, in my opinion.

We best just put a stop to culture until utopia is ushered in, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Each to their own I reckon.

Was in P Guilbaulds for a celebration lunch. It was grand, but I felt a bit out of place. I don't know how to explain it. Food was good, ambience good, service excellent, but it was a little bit, I don't know, toffee nosed. There were a lot of corporate types there all sucking up to the boss, doing deals. You know what I mean.

Anyway, not knocking the stars or anything. But I prefer cheap and cheerful and a noisy fun atmposphere. I know that is not verboten in these places, but it can be awkward.

Is it just me? Probably is.

Just ignore them and enjoy the food? They probably didn't even notice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I got a Michelin star meal for €7 in Tokyo and you ordered it from a vending machine. Since then I've no interest in a 3 star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Zombie thread alert!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’ve dined in Guilbauds a couple of times - the first being my university graduation - and it was superb but I felt very self-conscious there and not very relaxed but the food was amazing. All the waiters were French.

I prefer somewhere that does top quality food that actually fills you up and is informal and relaxed - like a gastro-pub place (but no sports on the telly - and preferably no telly at all).

Mid-price cozy restaurants like Ciao Bella Roma, Dunne and Crescenzi, Il Baccaro or The Green Hen are great spots. Food comes first, then service but ambience and coziness is very important too. And of course the company you’re with can make all the difference.

I ate a Chapter One years back - very, very good. 101 Talbot is great and not too pricey. I also like Yamamori, The Chameleon, Trocadero, Mulligans in Stoneybatter and Browne’s Steak House. I’m not fussy.

Ireland has such a superb range of restaurants now and an eating out culture that simply was pretty much non-existent a generation ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mariaalice wrote: »
    I suspect people are not just going for the food its an 'experience'.

Carvery and pints is a lovely experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Ahhhhh! That bloody word "experience".

You eat in a restaurant or visit one. People are just getting lazy now.

Does "experiencing" a 5 * Michelin restaurant on tv mean I have "experienced" one?

After all, going by the latest adverts for Sky Tv, we don't watch TV anymore. We "experience" it.

On that basis, I have experienced many great a Michelin restaurant. I experienced them on TV.

Never eaten in one and not really into fine dining but would love to some day.

Dougal, there is nothing wrong with a splurge once or twice in life. It doesn't mean someone is rich, it means they value things differently and perhaps that experience is something they would enjoy more than a city break in Europe for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It's like a McDonalds, tastes grand, but leaves you hungry afterwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Never eaten in one and not really into fine dining but would love to some day.

Dougal, there is nothing wrong with a splurge once or twice in life. It doesn't mean someone is rich, it means they value things differently and perhaps that experience a visit to a expensive restaurant is something they would enjoy more than a city break in Europe for example.

FYP. Can nobody be arsed to speak proper english now? "Experience" is a lazy or uneducated persons verb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I love good quality and special or unusual food, but the best meals I have had werent in the couple of Michelin Star places I have visited. I'd much rather an informal and relaxed place where you can chat to the staff and maybe have a drink after hours with them and talk about food and drink

Personally Id check out the Bib Gourmand or similar lists for top class food in gastropubs and the like. For example, I recently ate in The Batch Loaf in Monaghan Town, fairly new by all accounts and no endorsements I could see except the local recommendations, but the meal was one of the nicest Ive had in a few years, all for €130 for 2 including wine and cocktails.

Thanks for making me home sick for their veggie risotto, big lump of batch loaf still warm, slathered with good Monaghan butter followed by Amelie's Creme Brulee washed down with some Brehon Blonde.

The Batch Loaf or the Eastern Balti House in Monaghan are the scene of most of our family's special meals for years now. Bliss.

I have not done Michellen started places but my aunt and uncle who live in France have and yet say both the places I mentioned are amongst the best food they have ever had.

They stayed with me in Kuala Lumpur a few months ago and fell in love with my favorite Indian restaurant here. They said Gem's butter chicken was one of the nicest things they ever ate. A meal in Gem for 2 with a few beers costs about €20. Best food ever.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    FYP. Can nobody be arsed to speak proper english now? "Experience" is a lazy or uneducated persons verb.

It also starts with an "e".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I ate in a 3 star Michelin restaurant in January and they tried to serve me pigeon brain that was still in the pigeon skull. We don't have time for me to list all of the restaurants I would eat at before I ever went back there.

But seriously, pigeon brain aside, the whole experience was bizarre and came with more than a whiff of pretension. There ended up being something like 13 courses total, all small servings, which was fine. They approached dining as more of an art form than a function; each dish was designed to build off of the preceding dish and set you up for the next dish. Boundaries were challenged, and I can see where that kind of experience would appeal to a certain type of foodies.

I, however, am not any type of foodie. I'm glad I had the experience, but I won't be seeking it out again any time soon.

Edited to add: I went to this restaurant on a date - per the suggestion of my date - and did not pay for the "dining experience." I would probably be a lot more bitter about it if I had.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

prinzeugen wrote: »

Experience in that sentence is a noun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

All sounds a bit pretentious to me, I've things to be doing than feeding people's egos

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I’ve eaten in Enoteca Pinchiorri restaurant in Italy, which has 3 Michelin stars. It was my first time in a Michelin starred restaurant. The whole experience was a real treat, from the location and decor, to the music, service and the food. We went for the tasting menu and the paired wines. AFAIR there were about 8 course, each one better than the next. The food was utterly fabulous, and the presentation was so gorgeous, clearly a lot of thought and work went into it at every step.

It cost €1300 for two, and though I baulked at it, I have to say it was worth it for the whole experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

It cost €1300 for two...

Holy ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I had the taster menu at Gordan Ramseys at Paris in Vegas in January, worth every penny. Was about $770 for 3 of us.

That said, I then tried the taster menu at Top of the World which was about $100 a head and it was just as good. Price does not indicate your level of enjoyment or quality of the food, but there's definitely a threshold. IE, once your past the €70+ mark for a meal, you're into a different level of culinary skill and combined flavours and ingredients you just won't get at a regular restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Went to a couple of Michelin 1 star restaurants, one was an Indian, fantastic food and a decent price too, but for myself to spend 500 yoyo's on a meal would be madness. That's a day's pay ffs.

I'm think I'm getting alzheimers - I read this 3 times as "Went to a couple of Michelin 1 star restaurants, when I was an Indian" Was thinking to myself - and when exactly did you stop being an Indian?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I had the taster menu at Gordan Ramseys at Paris in Vegas in January, worth every penny. Was about $770 for 3 of us.

That said, I then tried the taster menu at Top of the World which was about $100 a head and it was just as good. Price does not indicate your level of enjoyment or quality of the food, but there's definitely a threshold. IE, once your past the €70+ mark for a meal, you're into a different level of culinary skill and combined flavours and ingredients you just won't get at a regular restaurant.

For that money I'd want Gordon himself to come out and shout out a few fcuks at me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No stars, but the tasting menu at Nevin Maguires McNean House is excellent! I think it worked out at about 280 for dinner for 2 with wine and cocktails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Seems a little bit crass to talk about Michelin * restaurants when some people are still barely getting by, in my opinion.

Actually one of the most pathetic comments I've seen on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

BuboBubo wrote: »
    For that money I'd want Gordon himself to come out and shout out a few fcuks at me ;)

Well we got signed taster menus from the man himself, not so bad. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Have eaten at a few one stars (my husband is a total foodie), and ate at a two star - the square at Mayfair. Incredible experience. Expensive but worth it, IMO.

Would love to take my husband to The Fat Duck some day (3 stars). It's in England though, so between the expensive food, flights and accommodation, we can't really make it work at this point in our lives with young kids. Maybe for his 40th! 7 years away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

anewme wrote: »
    No stars, but the tasting menu at Nevin Maguires McNean House is excellent! I think it worked out at about 280 for dinner for 2 with wine and cocktails.

That sounds reasonable to me, but anything beyond that I have better things to spend my money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

mariaalice wrote: »
    That sounds reasonable to me, but anything beyond that I have better things to spend my money on.

I had been given a voucher as a Gift, so happy days. We made a weekend out of it, so overall was worth it. The food really was excellent, as were the wines. Like you, I'd start questioning the value of anything above that.

Im not sure Id like 3 star Restaurants, as someone else said, I think its beyond my appreciation a bit, I liked Chapter One and McNean house, but would not really like to go any more foody than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've only been to one star restaurants. Been to L'Ecrivain a few times and it's probably my favourite restaurant in Dublin. It doesn't feel stuck up or pretentious at all, but actually very comfortable. Food is really tasty and plenty of it. The people who say they'd leave the place hungry or wouldn't find anything they would like have clearly never been to a restaurant like that! The food is almost like a work of art, you really can't compare that to a carvery!

I like watching Chef's Table on Netflix, some amazing chefs/restaurants are featured on that! Would love to try a 2 or 3 star restaurant sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Patrick Guildbauds is excellent, but I tell you what, Chapter One is not far behind it and the Greenhouse on Dawson street is top notch too.

500/600 for dinner is too much for me, but in these places you are probably getting 20 courses over a good few hours with wine et all.

The only thing I draw the line at is moss. seems to be creeping onto menus everywhere. No Thanks.

The difference between 2 and 3 stars is the experience I guess. Look at what the Rocca brothers are doing in Spain or Massimo in Modena, or even Heston across the water. They are reinventing the wheel with food and challenging the tastes and senses of what you would normally expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Oh I love food and have been very lucky to have had the opportunity to visit George's Blancs 3 star restraunt in France .Its actually a whole village with all things "Blancs" , bakery, cheaper 1 star restraunt, wine etc, amazing to see and eat of course. Just a quick note on the stars, it's not the restraunt that is Michelin starred but the chefs, so if a chef has a star he keeps it, and brings it with him so to speak, as far as I'm aware. I've also eaten some of the best Michelin dimsums in Hong Kong , really reasonable too,where you bought your cans of beer down the road ! The taster menus are brilliant with each tiny mouthful an explosion to the senses! I've seen the one and two star lads working in the kitchen perfecting their unbelievable skills with such passion and the determination of an Olympian . It is a huge treat and maybe only once in a lifetime as life often gets in the way . As for me I'm thrilled when my poached eggs come out just right lol
    P.S I love carverys too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

snowbabe wrote: »
    Oh I love food and have been very lucky to have had the opportunity to visit George's Blancs 3 star restraunt in France .Its actually a whole village with all things "Blancs" , bakery, cheaper 1 star restraunt, wine etc, amazing to see and eat of course. Just a quick note on the stars, it's not the restraunt that is Michelin starred but the chefs, so if a chef has a star he keeps it, and brings it with him so to speak, as far as I'm aware. I've also eaten some of the best Michelin dimsums in Hong Kong , really reasonable too,where you bought your cans of beer down the road ! The taster menus are brilliant with each tiny mouthful an explosion to the senses! I've seen the one and two star lads working in the kitchen perfecting their unbelievable skills with such passion and the determination of an Olympian . It is a huge treat and maybe only once in a lifetime as life often gets in the way . As for me I'm thrilled when my poached eggs come out just right lol
    P.S I love carverys too

The stars are awarded to the restaurant not to the chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

The stars are awarded to the restaurant not to the chef.

I stand corrected ...... thank you . Almost forgot, went to a great place in Vietnam too where the chef is training underprivileged girls and boys to train as Michelin chefs , menu limited but fab , it's giving back to the community, can't remember the name of it though , it was on Francis tour of Vietnam and I needed to go while on holidays .

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Have eaten in a good few one star, a handful of two stars, and just the one three star (the fat duck). Many moons ago had disposable cash while working in Luxembourg and splashed out every few weeks- at the time was Michelin star restaurants a plenty there.

Now it's a very rare treat and generally just lunch menu, though cashing in a chapter one gift voucher next week, excited!

Find it fascinating how many people here will come and post how it's such a waste of money when they haven't experienced it. I adore the experience - the tastes, smells, service. It's heaven for a foodie.

I wonder tho why people feel the need to post such negativity about what some people truly enjoy?

Do they feel the need to post when someone comments on designer clothes? Sure isn't Penneys or Dunnes grand? Do they feel the need to comment on luxury or sports cars? Isn't a Dacia Duster perfectly functional? Do they spend 150eur on a night out and barely remember it the next day, dying from hangover? Isn't that a bigger waste??

Foodie and proud (and broke!)

Advertisement