Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gin ****

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Omackeral wrote: »
    Someone buy me this

05-men-vneck-slimfit-ginwanker_large.jpg?v=1476956269

If you forgo your next €40 bottle of gin you should be able to afford it yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gin drinkers are apparently shhhhssssers

dennisreynolds-shush2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tequila can f*ck off. I nearly died, no exaggeration, from chugging half a red cup full of that when I was 18. I just remember it dribbling and burning on chin and passing out, it knocked me out within about 5 minutes of chugging it. Devils drink.

I like gin. I've always liked it. My favourite spirit.

I've never felt the need to broadcast it though. And now because of the people that i associate it with, I feel mildly embarrassed to ask for it if I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Gin drinkers are apparently shhhhssssers

6XadMm1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, it seems that the gin ****, gin haters, haters of gin ****, gin lovers and the indifferent here almost all agree on the ridiculousness of the fishbowl goblets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Aren't they just like big wine glasses though? I've never drank gin out of one but they're nice for wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Aren't they just like big wine glasses though? I've never drank gin out of one but they're nice for wine.

have never used one of those gin glasses myself, but they look a way bigger than any (normal) large wine glasses !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I've heard this and I doubt it has any basis in science. The active ingredient that gets you drunk is ethanol, it's same in every drink. As far as I know there isn't anything else added to gin that makes you depressed anymore than vodka or beer or whiskey. People who drink 3 bottles of gin a week get depressed because they're alcholics, it would be the same no matter what they drink. It's like saying certain drinks give you worse hangovers, anecdotal nonsense.

I've gotten smashed off pretty much every type of drink there is, it's the quantity that matters, not what form you consume it in.

Patently untrue. Germany has something called the Rheinheitsgebot, which basically means their beers have to be all natural ingredients without additives. Can't say the same for Heino etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

2smiggy wrote: »
    have never used one of those gin glasses myself, but they look a way bigger than any (normal) large wine glasses !!

You have to have enough space for the fruit tree or vegetable garden that is put into the drink

I had a friend who used to drink buckfast mixed with jameson and whenever he drank that mix he always got in a fight (and won) he used to blame that paricular drink mixture but i think he just used it as an excuse when he was in the mood for a scrap

Your friend sounds like a cnut and by extension..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Best opening post ever !

Ive been drinking Gin for about 15 years.
    Gordons and Schweppes, still #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

While I agree the gin **** are annoying I think the resurgence in Gin is a good thing. It has provided employment and opportunity to those who have started distilling it in Ireland and as an occasional Gin drinker, its surely not a bad thing to have a bit of variety from london dry and Cork? The missus has started drinking it lately but she's not a gin wanker by any stretch. She drinks whatever is on offer :)

It has seen a boom here alright. Mostly due to how long it takes to produce whiskey. Whiskey distillers can bang out truckloads of Gin while the Whiskey develops.

Just shows if you package something nicely and market it well, twill sell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gin is ****ing rank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just got a Gin rack fitted in my house, its glorious

VinLieger wrote: »

You should change your username to GinLiker :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

VinLieger wrote: »

pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I think this might actually push omackerel off the edge....
    4. Infusing gin with a spray mist

To enhance your elixir, Silent Pool have created a flavoured spray – Kaffir Lime Liquid Garnish – which brings a refreshing, crispy zing to your drink.
    Each spray covers the surface in a delicate film, which is both ‘intensely flavourful and irresistibly aromatic’, adding an extra dimension to the profile of your martini or G&T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I keep reading this thread as "girl ****".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I used to know an oul wan who drank gin and milk. puke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So apparently it's International Gin & Tonic Day

TRIGGERED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Rants are so lovably forgivable when they're done right........

[Anyway its pretty much a victim-less rant - well, nobody worth worrying about anyhow]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ive been drinking Gin for about 15 years.
    Gordons and Schweppes, still #1.

Ditto! - except in my case, it's closer to 35 years!

In a moment of insanity (possibly caused by sunstroke) I foolishly ordered a H*ndr*cks and tonic in Portugal recently and almost had a stroke when it arrived in a glass the size of Marty Morrissey's head with cucumbers floating around instead of lemon or lime. :eek:

Being a stubborn, parsimonious old git I managed to down it all without retching whereupon I promised myself that never again would I be unfaithful to Messrs. Gordon & Schweppe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I like gin. Used to get abuse from people when I occasionally drank it back in the day due to middle aged woman with streaky mascara weeping hysterically while sitting on the stairs connotations as mentioned above.

Now it has beard wax botannical hipster instagram spastic connotations so I cant drink it now either or I'll be associated with the check shirt skinny jeans brigade.

If i wait until it's passé then I'll look like I'm a few years behind the times.

Solution?

Drink at home. Alone. From a mug. In the bath. Fk the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Sky King wrote: »

Solution?

Drink at home. Alone. From a mug. In the bath. Fk the begrudgers.

To achieve the full effect, shouldn't you also be playing a Leonard Cohen LP on the auld stereo?

Turnipman wrote: »
    I foolishly ordered a H*ndr*cks and tonic in Portugal recently and almost had a stroke when it arrived in a glass the size of Marty Morrissey's head with cucumbers floating around instead of lemon or lime.

This is sheer poetry.

This is my favourite thread :D
    The opening post. The put downs. The rants. The outrage. The descriptions.

It's got everything that makes me happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This is my favourite thread :D
    The opening post. The put downs. The rants. The outrage. The descriptions.

It's got everything that makes me happy.

You should wash that happiness down with a gin - in a big copa glass :)

Sorry I couldn't hold something as big as Marty Morriseyes head :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I cannot but agree. Yes I'm a bit of young fogey in that Ive been drinking gin since i was in my 20s, but it was just bog ordinary Gordons, Schweppes and lemon or lime, dont give a toss which.

In the last year I've started losing my reason, even in traditional bars, over the poxy copa de balon glasses and the good life worth of veg thrown into it. I must have handed back 20 at this stage and said, 'Oi highball now and give the rest to the rabbit!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

In my experience, gin makes fat girls cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Or translated into TheIrishTimes-ese :

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/whatever-happened-to-the-humble-gin-and-tonic-1.3259360

Just lacks the punch though doesnt it?
    You should still sue the IT for plagiarism OP, even though it is such a shabby rip off of yours.

The original is always the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a lot to be said for getting poitin in a Big Brother bottle from a friend of a friend who gets it from an auld fella who lives on the side of a hill.Feck gin.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sorry I couldn't hold something as big as Marty Morriseyes head :D

The only advantage I can see to having a head-sized glass is that you'd cut out a lot of hanging out at the bar trying to get served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I think their yank ads are a bit more realistic.

http://https://youtu.be/QORTDHtYkDY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

This is like any thread where craft beer gets mentioned

**** it, I don't like gin (I do like craft beer despite not having a beard and I'm not a hipster) but if people do like it and enjoy it why not try different types.

Of course there's bandwagoners who'd drink their own piss if they thought it was fashionable and get them Instagram likes but those people are c*nts with or without a gin glass in their hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Gin makes me sad, complete downer drink for me, give me a decent brandy any day.

But for those who love it dunnes are having a gin and proseccco 'event' this weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/whatever-happened-to-the-humble-gin-and-tonic-1.3259360

You should still sue the IT for plagiarism OP, even though it is such a shabby rip off of yours.

This line though;

Eamonn Casey, manager of The Westin, says the reasons (for gin's popularity) are manifold. More than anything, though, it’s versatile. “I would say people drink water when they’re thirsty,” says Casey. “If they’re drinking a gin and tonic, it’s an experience.

Wankspeak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Wow... Amy, the un original spoofer..

• Advertisement
Advertisement