Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gin ****

Comments

Nothing nicer than a few G&Ts to round of the night after a mountain of porter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nothing nicer than a few G&Ts to round of the night after a mountain of porter!

They give your Guinness Torpedos a nice, shiny veneer the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

Pass the gin rag luv. Really interesting podcast about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084zk6z
    Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the craze for gin in Britain in the mid 18th Century and the attempts to control it. With the arrival of William of Orange, it became an act of loyalty to drink Protestant, Dutch gin rather than Catholic brandy, and changes in tariffs made everyday beer less affordable. Within a short time, production increased and large sections of the population that had rarely or never drunk spirits before were consuming two pints of gin a week. As Hogarth indicated in his print 'Beer Street and Gin Lane' (1751) in support of the Gin Act, the damage was severe, and addiction to gin was blamed for much of the crime in cities such as London.

Its also great for simple classic cocktails. Great rant though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

dasdog wrote: »
    Pass the gin rag luv. Really interesting podcast about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084zk6z

Its also great for simple classic cocktails. Great rant though.

Read a lot on Hogarth. Very interesting stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'll be honest I never liked it when all you could get in most bars was gordons and scweppes tonic with a slice of lemon. But the all the new ones are tasty. I'm not going to pretend I can tell the difference bewteen to different gins by taste but the new range of tonics like elderflower etc have made the whole thing much tastier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

flaneur wrote: »
    Ah an "I don't like new things" thread.
    Always fun.

The Mother's Ruin has only been around for a number of centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was in a pub recently and some twat was being a bit of a cnut to the barman about whatever Gin he wanted and showboating to two women he was with.

It dawned it me there and then that it was actually down to him just being a cnut rather than the particular foodstuff or drink about which he was being cnuty.

A revelation, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Only a wanker hipster would get hung up about what other **** drink.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

G&T can be a refreshing drink to take in hot climates. Wasn't it first put together by British soldiers serving in India?

I remember John Huston saying how himself and Humphrey Bogart used Gin for everything whilst filming the African Queen in the Congo, they even brushed their teeth with it.
    He claims they were the only two on set not to take ill over the duration of the shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

When I started drinking gin, I felt like Audrey in Coronation Street, it was that uncool. And not even in a cool way. I know it’s a bit of a hipster thing currently - gin is having a “moment” as full-of-shit fashion journalists might say but it’s a bogstandard drink that been popular for a long time before that. And if current fashion is tarting up my favourite drink, I’m going to enjoy it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This guy is the worst:

craft-001-copy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Getting the gin 'blues', that drink would get you into a very strange frame of mind if you let it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was drinking Gin and sporting a beard in 2004 - I think I can safely say I wasn't in it for the fad...

So you were doing these things.... before they were cool and mainstream?

Omackeral wrote: »
    So you were doing these things.... before they were cool and mainstream?

Drinking gin has been mainstream for yonks. Decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Pints are it

Shhhhhh,you'll have them all at it. I can't stand gin but I get gin. Gin drinkers don't drink because they like the taste put it that way, it was never meant to be a classy drink. It's for hard drinking middle aged women. If it's seen as cool amongst 20somethings to drink gin these days then they'll be chewing tobacco next, spending thousands during the next boom on lavish spitoons to impress the neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Forgetting all the different Gins you can get now has anyone else noticed how Fever Tree Tonic water has made massive inroads into the Irish market.

Two years ago you couldn't get it here for love nor money now Dunes and Supervalue have it and even Aldi do their own excellent "copy" of it that has the same tree logo on the bottle.

I like gin & diet 7up.
    That's my story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was drinking Gin and sporting a beard in 2004 - I think I can safely say I wasn't in it for the fad...

Even more annoying than the hipsters are those that claim they were in before it was a thing.

The "I was a big fan of the Journey before it was on the Sopranos" brigade.

The "have you watched the original house of cards? It's far better that the new one" brigade.

The "the books, which I read way before it was ever a movie, are far better than the movie" brigade.

However for gin, tonic water is ming altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Good god I hate gin ****, I hate them. They're absolutely everywhere nowadays. Ubiquitous bastards. Look at ya there, standing with your poxy goldfish bowl full of gin with seawood or lettuce or probably kale swirling around in it you hipster piece of sh*t. ''It's got cucumber in it so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, no it's not. You're a wanker. And gin bars are now a thing too? ''Uh sorry, what tonics do you recommend?''. Seriously, you try-hard motherfcukers. Stop trying to be into gin. Get that perfect filter for your gin pics... well you can fcuk off too Lovin' Dublin or whatever clickbaity gick is on the bandwagon this week. Gin tea bags, gin biscuits... Christ make it stop. Gin was the tipple of hairy lipped ladies back in the day was it not? Auld ones playing bridge or something? Now the girls drinking it are youngones that, this time last year, were falling around locked on blue WKD bawling their eyes out on street corners. Now it's all Gin + Doggy Ear Filter + Be Rude Not To caption. Who would it be rude to? Who?!

God I despise you all.

Ah, g'way and cry into your pint of warm stout, grandad.

Incidentally, why does nobody ever call Guinness pretentious? A dark red drink that gives off the appearance of being black, with a creamy bit on top. You have to "acquire a taste" for it. Why? So you can impress yer da, usually. It inspires the most boring of conversations too - "d'ya know what pub does a great pint..?" "It should be served at room temperature" - well, isn't it grand that that's all you've got to worry about. "It's like a meal in a glass" - it contains fewer kilojoules than an equivalent serving of semi-skimmed milk, you cunt.

Having said that, I don't really like the taste of gin and I'm suddenly in the mood for a pint of Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

G&T can be a refreshing drink to take in hot climates. Wasn't it first put together by British soldiers serving in India?

I remember John Huston saying how himself and Humphrey Bogart used Gin for everything whilst filming the African Queen in the Congo, they even brushed their teeth with it.
    He claims they were the only two on set not to take ill over the duration of the shoot.

Thats because the active ingredient is actually in the tonic water. Quinine. Its a medicine helping with malaria fever and I believe fevers in general. Gin is only added for special effects and that particular combination proved so successful it turned into a classic drink.

Also a lesser know fact about it is this:
    It is a curious fact, and one to which no-one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand variations on this phonetic theme.
    The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian ‘chinanto/mnigs’ which is ordinary water served just above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks’ which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the only one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that their names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.

Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

RayM wrote: »

Incidentally, why does nobody ever call Guinness pretentious? A dark red drink that gives off the appearance of being black, with a creamy bit on top. You have to "acquire a taste" for it. Why? So you can impress yer da, usually. It inspires the most boring of conversations too - "d'ya know what pub does a great pint..?" "It should be served at room temperature" - well, isn't it grand that that's all you've got to worry about. "It's like a meal in a glass" - it contains fewer kilojoules than an equivalent serving of semi-skimmed milk, you cunt.

Having said that, I don't really like the taste of gin and I'm suddenly in the mood for a pint of Guinness.

And it has to be poured a certain way and let settle so the Oirish magic dust does its work.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Just to be clear, I've no bother with people enjoying a drink. It's when they're being cnuts posting pics everywhere they go of this gin or that gin and all of a sudden they're all about that gin life. I won't accept it. I can't.

Maybe it's the company you keep. I never see this pics.

Was in a pub recently and some twat was being a bit of a cnut to the barman about whatever Gin he wanted and showboating to two women he was with.

It dawned it me there and then that it was actually down to him just being a cnut rather than the particular foodstuff or drink about which he was being cnuty.

A revelation, really.

You’ve only just realised this! I hope you’re wet behind the ears! :pac:

I was at a wedding with my sister a few years ago and when they were taking the toast drink order, my sister - who tends towards hipstery - asked them what gins they had. Firstly, it was a normal country hotel. Secondly, fancier gins tend to be more expensive which is not cool for the toast drink order. Had to stop myself from rolling my eyes right in front of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I drink gin, but it's ok because I have a hairy upper lip and I'm a housewife who stitches in the evening.

I don't like tonic so I mix it with 7up and a splash of mi wadi. It's delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My good wife is quite partial to a gin. Currently her favourite gins are Hendricks (expensive) or Boyles gin (not as expensive as Hendricks, but bloody expensive for Aldi)

I met her in 2001.

In a pub.

She was drinking gin then too.

She usually has her drink in a small tumbler style glass. Maybe served with a dash of tonic or bitter lemon and an ice cube.

She's been drinking her gin like this (although it was Gordon's gin up until about 4 or 5 years ago) since I met her.

She doesn't drink it from a goblet/chalice.

She doesn't plonk celery/rhubarb/cucumber/seaweed nor any bolloxollogy in to the mix.

Simply gin. Ice. Mixer.

What's the problem here?

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    My good wife is quite partial to a gin. Currently her favourite gins are Hendricks (expensive) or Boyles gin (not as expensive as Hendricks, but bloody expensive for Aldi)

I met her in 2001.

In a pub.

She was drinking gin then too.

She usually has her drink in a small tumbler style glass. Maybe served with a dash of tonic or bitter lemon and an ice cube.

She's been drinking her gin like this (although it was Gordon's gin up until about 4 or 5 years ago) since I met her.

She doesn't drink it from a goblet/chalice.

She doesn't plonk celery/rhubarb/cucumber/seaweed nor any bolloxollogy in to the mix.

Simply gin. Ice. Mixer.

What's the problem here?

He's talking about people who never drank it until it became 'cool'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hahah funniest boards post Ive read in a while

Ah fair enough.

She never became cool until she met me anyway. :cool:

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Ah fair enough.

She never became cool until she met me anyway. :cool:

I believe you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I love a good rant and hostile responses when said rant is mocked or question. Top class. I'm being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I have some cork dry gin in my house for an unfashionable aged relative who turns up every Christmas. Otherwise I never touch the vile stuff. She'll be delighted to know she’s hipster now. (Although she has been working on the beard for a while so she’s been trending that way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Gin used to be the staple drink of the poor in London. People consumed 10 litres per person per year in the 18C

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Good god I hate gin ****, I hate them. They're absolutely everywhere nowadays. Ubiquitous bastards. Look at ya there, standing with your poxy goldfish bowl full of gin with seawood or lettuce or probably kale swirling around in it you hipster piece of sh*t. ''It's got cucumber in it so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, no it's not. You're a wanker. And gin bars are now a thing too? ''Uh sorry, what tonics do you recommend?''. Seriously, you try-hard motherfcukers. Stop trying to be into gin. Get that perfect filter for your gin pics... well you can fcuk off too Lovin' Dublin or whatever clickbaity gick is on the bandwagon this week. Gin tea bags, gin biscuits... Christ make it stop. Gin was the tipple of hairy lipped ladies back in the day was it not? Auld ones playing bridge or something? Now the girls drinking it are youngones that, this time last year, were falling around locked on blue WKD bawling their eyes out on street corners. Now it's all Gin + Doggy Ear Filter + Be Rude Not To caption. Who would it be rude to? Who?!

God I despise you all.

This is my favouritest thing I've ever read on boards, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

RayM wrote: »

The bullsh*t around Guinness always seems odd to me.

If a particular pub does a great Guinness - the best pint of Guinness - doesn't that suggest the rest of them aren't that great?

Or is it just nonsense? They're all the same, taste like cans of Guinness, which you pour in one go and all also taste the same.

I dunno. Miles better than gin, though. That p*ss is only for Donald Cox, the sweaty fox. Let's bring him down! Gin! Gin! Gin! Gin! Etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I love a good rant and hostile responses when said rant is mocked or question. Top class. I'm being serious.

The hostile responses to tongue in cheek posts are the best.

They're so entertaining.

But the nice tonics are the only thing that makes the gin drinkable imo.

Well at least now I can ejoy my craft ales and stroke my beard in peace since the haters focus has moved on to gin drinkers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wasn't Gin always associated with alcos and made you seriously depressed whilst under the influence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I love a g&t. Always have. But god helps the barman who gives it to me in a fancy glass with any fancy sides. I can just about manage a wee bit of tonic and maybe an ice cube on a hot day. This saffron and pink peppercorn and 40 different tonics is a load of balls and theyll over cook it and ruin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's always cool. You never have gin without ice.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Wasn't Gin always associated with alcos and made you seriously depressed whilst under the influence?

I've heard this and I doubt it has any basis in science. The active ingredient that gets you drunk is ethanol, it's same in every drink. As far as I know there isn't anything else added to gin that makes you depressed anymore than vodka or beer or whiskey. People who drink 3 bottles of gin a week get depressed because they're alcholics, it would be the same no matter what they drink. It's like saying certain drinks give you worse hangovers, anecdotal nonsense.

I've gotten smashed off pretty much every type of drink there is, it's the quantity that matters, not what form you consume it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

God I despise you all.

I have never read such eloquent hate in my life.
    And all so true. One might generally tend to think hate is a bad thing - but sometimes it really does come into its own.

Gin Lane wrote: »
    Don't think so. Cheap vodka is the real final stop, end of the line drink for serious alcos.

I take offence to this! Manys the bottle of tamova I drank in my college days and I'm no alco :pac: Tesco vodka is the worst of the worst really. Even then I found it totally undrinkable no matter what it was mixed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I love nothing better than a G&T in the RPH of a morning. I find I play better Bridge inebriated early afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've heard this and I doubt it has any basis in science. The active ingredient that gets you drunk is ethanol, it's same in every drink. As far as I know there isn't anything else added to gin that makes you depressed anymore than vodka or beer or whiskey. People who drink 3 bottles of gin a week get depressed because they're alcholics, it would be the same no matter what they drink. It's like saying certain drinks give you worse hangovers, anecdotal nonsense.

I've gotten smashed off pretty much every type of drink there is, it's the quantity that matters, not what form you consume it in.

I don't like gin, but I've tried it a couple of times. Any time I've drank it, I end up a sobbing mess. I don't mean a single tear, delicately blinked out of my manly eye, I mean full on, can't breathe, puffy, blotchy, teenage girl when her boyband breaks up kinda crying.

I generally go with the "Alcohol is alcohol" myself, but when I drink gin, tissues get ruined.

• Advertisement

I don't like gin, but I've tried it a couple of times. Any time I've drank it, I end up a sobbing mess. I don't mean a single tear, delicately blinked out of my manly eye, I mean full on, can't breathe, puffy, blotchy, teenage girl when her boyband breaks up kinda crying.

I generally go with the "Alcohol is alcohol" myself, but when I drink gin, tissues get ruined.

I had a friend who used to drink buckfast mixed with jameson and whenever he drank that mix he always got in a fight (and won) he used to blame that paricular drink mixture but i think he just used it as an excuse when he was in the mood for a scrap

Gin Lane wrote: »
    Mixing whiskey and Buckfast? Your mate sounds a like a psycho headcase.

Or a connoisseur in certain parts of Dublins North side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Super-Rush wrote: »

Any time I've ever drank it I've been a raging cnut for about a week after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Gn'T word association:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-18_at_20.03.50.png

Credit to the Marketeers, with their GNT flavoured popcorn, but they can stick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Non-**** are a dying breed and we're feeling under threat as the **** close in on us from all sides, with their beards and their tattoos, furiously, menacingly ****

And that's just the women

• Advertisement
Advertisement